Sanyo VHR H793 won't accept tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanyo VHR H793 won't accept tape

I have recently obtained a Sanyo VHS player that I was hoping to use to back up old VHS recordings to DVD and computer. Mechanically the machine looks completely sound, and all the electronics are working... except I can't play a tape! When I try to put a tape in, I get no response from the motors at all. Applying further pressure to the tape results in the spring spitting the tape back out when I release it; with no attempt to load it in.

On rare occasions if I jiggle the tape around with the lid open, it'll sometimes trigger the loading sequence. At this point all functions (play, rewind, still etc) work perfectly, and the tape isn't being snagged or rubbed anywhere. After ejecting the tape though, it's back to square one.

I surmise this has something to do with the switch that tells the logic board when a tape is being inserted. But I've looked everywhere, and can't seem to find that switch! I'm also unable to find a service manual for this particular model. It does sound like it would be a very easy fix, if only I knew where to look...
    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Re: Sanyo VHR H793 won't accept tape

There should be a lever that activates a switch usually located on the main pc board This happens as soon as the tape is pushed forward, It can't be that difficult to locate.
    It could also be the mode switch contacts that are tarnished and need cleaning, when the cassete is pushed forward there is a gear on the arm that connects to a geared lever that moves the lower mechanism slightly to start the tape loading.
    Last edited by R_J; 01-18-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X