Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Storm - Another Issue - Panasonic TC-P60GT30 - No HDMI Inputs

Hi guys,

So I am having a new problem with my beloved Panasonic TC-P60GT30 Plasma.

We had a major wind storm this weekend and we lost power and cable. The cable went out first and while I was out working, the wife called and I had her try the Xbox source as well and she said that didn't work either. Then a couple hours later the power went out. The TV is on a surge protector.

I work in a utility company so I was out 18 hours a day and didn't have time to troubleshoot it. However, when we gained power back overnight, I woke up and just for shits tested out the TV by using my chromecast and streamed a YouTube video just fine to it. Picture and sound worked great.

Now, a day and a half later, I can't get any input from any of the HDMI ports. I tried all different sources (xbox, cable, chromecast) with no luck. They all have output too as I verified on my other small TV I brought down.

FYI, last wind storm I lost my TV and it gave me a 14 blink code that ended up being the main board needing to be replaced. Here is the reference link if interested... - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64827

The TV picture seems to be fine, I plugged in a SD card and I was able to watch a video perfectly.

Unfortunately it is not giving me an error code. I tried to unplug for an hour and also rest to factory defaults with no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions? Another main board I assume?

Thanks for all the help!

Re: Another Storm - Another Issue - Panasonic TC-P60GT30 - No HDMI Inputs

Originally posted by J_Kane View Post
    Hi guys,

So I am having a new problem with my beloved Panasonic TC-P60GT30 Plasma.

We had a major wind storm this weekend and we lost power and cable. The cable went out first and while I was out working, the wife called and I had her try the Xbox source as well and she said that didn't work either. Then a couple hours later the power went out. The TV is on a surge protector.

I work in a utility company so I was out 18 hours a day and didn't have time to troubleshoot it. However, when we gained power back overnight, I woke up and just for shits tested out the TV by using my chromecast and streamed a YouTube video just fine to it. Picture and sound worked great.

Now, a day and a half later, I can't get any input from any of the HDMI ports. I tried all different sources (xbox, cable, chromecast) with no luck. They all have output too as I verified on my other small TV I brought down.

FYI, last wind storm I lost my TV and it gave me a 14 blink code that ended up being the main board needing to be replaced. Here is the reference link if interested... - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64827

The TV picture seems to be fine, I plugged in a SD card and I was able to watch a video perfectly.

Unfortunately it is not giving me an error code. I tried to unplug for an hour and also rest to factory defaults with no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions? Another main board I assume?

Thanks for all the help!
    Yes it would look that way. No, it won't produce error blinks for this. HDMI are quite vulnerable in storms.

To tell a story I picked up a late model Panny LED Smart TV that had a dead PSU from a storm.

Ran perfect for first 24 hrs, then HDMI ports quit then DEAD processor. all that happened fairly quickly after a startup next morning.

From what I've seen most of these boards the HDMI appears to be integrated into the main chip. But if it has a separate chip for HDMI then I've had success replacing that and getting HDMI back but only on two boards .

IC4700 is a TMDS361B HDMI switch. I'm not convinced replacing that will fix anything if all ports are bad. I suspect that allows 4 HDMI ports to be available as the other 2 ports appear to go straight to the main chip.

Beyond my knowledge, someone else can fill the blanks on that one.

May be worth a shot if cheap part and you have the skills to do it without damage.

http://www.ti.com/product/TMDS361B

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will probably just order another board if I'm lucky to find one again!

It seems like it is trying to connect because when I switch on a device the No input message disappears and goes black but then the message comes back a few seconds later.

How could I prevent this? I blamed the cable box last time as that was dead too, but the cable box seems fine now. FiOS seems to be the only way I guess!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will probably just order another board if I'm lucky to find one again!

It seems like it is trying to connect because when I switch on a device the No input message disappears and goes black but then the message comes back a few seconds later.

How could I prevent this? I blamed the cable box last time as that was dead too, but the cable box seems fine now. FiOS seems to be the only way I guess!
        Look I'm not sure if you can or how successful but anything that gets a spike and is connected to the TV can do damage whether it be antennas or the the cable box. There maybe something available but I'm not familiar with cable TV so again someone local may know. I've seen big power boards with ethernet and coax points fitted for surge protection, never used or know how reliable that may be.

Comment

Run an earth wire from your outlet (or better, main panel if it's close, but this is not mandatory) to the outer braid of the coax cable at the input of the cable box. This will prevent high voltage developing on the coax and discharging into your TV. Most modern cable boxes use unearthed power supplies, so their only path to earth ground is thru your TV. As you have experienced, this is not a good idea and will lead to issues during a storm or large power surge. Earthing the coax at the input of the cable box gives any current a return path before your TV.

I did this after fitting a second main board in a lady's LG plasma, CPU went short (again) due to a surge that went thru the HDMI port, from the cable box. It is been over 1 year and it hasn't failed again.
          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 03-08-2018, 12:15 PM.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I was thinking of that. I think I will plan to do it now! I also plan to run the coax through a surge protector as well. Should have done it after the last incident, but never ordered one...

Thanks for the reply, I'll check back when I get the new main board installed!

Comment

Don't need surge protection on the coax, it might mess the signal up, especially if you're getting 1080p content and/or internet thru the cable box as well.

Just earth the braid and you will be fine. The cable company is supposed to do that at their panel, but they rarely bother over here - guess it's the same on your side of the world.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                D

Just earth the braid and you will be fine. The cable company is supposed to do that at their panel, but they rarely bother over here - guess it's the same on your side of the world.
                Sounds just like the outlets in colonial and Victorian-era houses in the U.S., LMAO. (It's common for northeast U.S. outlets to not have a ground connected, and my UPS will let me know if that's true for the outlet I plugged the UPS into...)

On February 24, 2018, my family moved to the first "new-for-northeast-US-standards" house they had, IIRC! (Looks like the original portions were built in 1980, my birth year and other parts, very likely the living room, which has a cathedral ceiling, was built in the 1990s or the late-1980s, if not the 2000s... The boiler is a Weil-McLain from what looks like 1998 or near there... (but I dunno about the oil burner, it could be from the original building construction for all I know)

My family used to rent an apartment in a Victorian or colonial-era house! So electrical issues were common, such as almost everything being tied to one circuit, LMAO! (not just the style, the era as well!)
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-09-2018, 12:52 AM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I was thinking of that. I think I will plan to do it now! I also plan to run the coax through a surge protector as well. Should have done it after the last incident, but never ordered one...

Thanks for the reply, I'll check back when I get the new main board installed!
                  Pay attention to the white suffix sticker on the board. It needs to match with your old board. Otherwise you might buy a EU board that wont work in your tv.
                  While the tv is open it's good to tighten all the screws.

TNPH09..... TXN/S.
                  I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

before tightening the screws - sand down the pads on the YSUS board (SC board) and the panel - then make sure the screws are tight. This is a main problem of the SC board going bad on these sets.

Comment

Working...
                    X