ASRock P4V88 with bad Taicon caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASRock P4V88 with bad Taicon caps

Hello everyone, I just stumbled upon this site while looking for a solution to my BF2 problems.

About a month ago, my computer started freezing a lot while I was playing BF2. It wouldn't crash, it would just hard lock. I couldn't exit, alt-tab, ctrl-alt-del or anything. I thought I fixed it (or maybe it's just that I stopped playing BF2 as much) and I forgot about it. Recently (this week) I started getting hard locks again. My computer also started just ranomly shutting down in the middle of BF2 (sometimes freezing first, sometimes not freezing). It wouldn't reboot, it would just shut down (but the power would stay on). I tried MANY things, including restoring several times, reinstalling BF2, uninstalling and then reinstalling drivers, running on all low settings, and playing without sound. My computer started crashing before I even started BF2 up. Sometimes, it would fail to even boot up. I had a hunch that my sound card was f-cking everything up (I read a post by somebody with similar problems and they did that) and all of my problems stopped.

Right now I'm using the onboard audio hardware. I played BF2 fine for about 3 hours yesterday (before I enabled onboard audio) without sound. Today, when I enabled the onboard audio, BF2 crashed again. Now I am here. I looked on my motherboard for domed caps, and I think I might have found two...

Please help!

ASRock P4V88
    P4 2.8Ghz Prescott
    2x 512 Crucial PC3200
    PowerColor Radeon 9800 128mb
    420w ThermalTake Truepower
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS (i removed it)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by willawake; 01-19-2006, 02:28 PM. Reason: offsite pic

Re: Do I Have Bad Caps?

Yep, they're dead or failing Taicon caps...
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Comment

Image = dead now, btw
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Oh well. Now I know they're failing. Gah. How likely are they to ruin my other components while I buy a new mobo?

Comment

You can try a recap... I just successfully completed my first one and it wasn't all that hard... as long as your a little familiar with a soldering iron. Those particular caps probably won't ruin any components, but if they did, it'd likely be the components immediately surrounding them, like the AGP card or the first PCI card. Hard to tell, but usually they keep the runs from the caps to the components short, so the damage is localized.

BUT- it'll probably just keep running, and maybe get more and more unstable. What are the other caps on the board? Oh, and if you decide to just replace it, I'm sure someone on here would be happy to take the damaged board off your hands . Also keep in mind, it could still be under warranty.
            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I'm sure I could do a recap just fine, but I don't really care for this mobo anymore. It was cheap ($35 or something) and I've actually been thinking about getting a new one. I'm probably going to get a DFI. I built a system for a friend with a DFI Lanboy and man that was a nice board. If you want it, I guess I could ship it to you.

BTW, if the caps fail completely (if they haven't already) what happens? Does it ruin the board or components nearby? Or does the board just no longer function?

Comment

I don't really want the board, as I don't care for the P4 processors, but someone else on the forums here would take it for sure if you don't want it. A recapped board can sometimes be even more stable than new when using quality capacitors, but that's really up to you.

As for what happens when caps die, it really depends. I've seen motherboards with all but 5 caps pushed up and leaking, and they jsut stop posting, but I've also seen boards with mosfets blown to pieces and ATX power connectors melted and browned. it really does depend on how the board is designed and how the caps fail. I've had three Leadtek K7NCR18D motherboards die of bad caps, and every time it melted the 12v pin off the ATX connector, trashing the board and the PSU, but luckily none of the other components.
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

If you don't want the board, I'd be interested. PM me with details.

Comment

how long have you have that board running for? did it always have a prescott on it.

interesting to see Taicon caps fail, it is the first report we have received, so thanks for that. They appear to be 1000uf 6.3v right?
                    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

A long time ago I think we thought Taicon caps were not affected.

Is Taicon going on the list or we're waiting for more reported failures?

Their site: http://www.taicon.com.tw/

I don't know why they say "Nichicon Family" under the Taicon logo.
                      My gaming PC:
                      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Shit!!!

I have an Intel SAI2 Server Board that is packed with those Taicon bastards............... I guess its time to inspect, cuz its embarressing for the Admin of badcaps.net to have a board with bad caps...........
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                        Team : 49813
                        Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

get some esr readings, would be interesting.

Taicon was established by nichicon in 1969 as a joint venture

actually we have another failure on the forum reported by Codecode on 19/11/05 for an ASROCK K7S8XE + which i had missed previously

The brand that has swelled are around the ram slots and the AGP slot, away from the heat, and they are TAICON caps, green plastic sleeve, all 1000mfd/6.3v.
                          Taicon is actually not a very common brand on boards. I had only seen them on my asus P4B266-E and was suprised they were used on Topcat's Intel SAI2 board. Now we see they are also on Asrock boards. There is still nothing much in google so no widespread fails. Anyway two fails are good enough for me, to be on the bad list.

Comment

The power supply in my Dell Dimension 4600 is failing in some manner. Either the fan (Adda 80mm ball-bearing type) is failing (possible yes, probable maybe), or the 12v supply is failing. The two primary input caps are Rubycon, but the secondary is full of Taicons, with two Ltecs. None of the caps show visible signs of failure. The power supply was made by Newton Electric. Pictures will be posted in the power supply build thread.

Comment

Maybe Taicon screwed up some series - like Nichicon? I've had 1995 monitor full of Taicons with no problems.

Comment

iirc that sai2 was new when i got it.guess we will see if the caps go t/u.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                                  Shit!!!

I have an Intel SAI2 Server Board that is packed with those Taicon bastards............... I guess its time to inspect, cuz its embarressing for the Admin of badcaps.net to have a board with bad caps...........
                                  I have one running in my office with dual P3-T 1.26GHz. So far no visible failing signs, but was quite well cooled for past 4 years.

It's a pain to recap that board, with well over 30 caps.

Comment

I don't think that's problem of Taicon capacitors. I think there is some problem in design by Asrock. Actaully, i know the quality of Taicon capacitors is not bad.

Everyone should know Asrock motherboard using with Japanese capacitors. Actually, there is no problem and good. However, the main problem is they used with too little capacitors to cut costs of motherbaord. By this reason, i think it is design problem.
                                    My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Re: ASRock P4V88 with bad Taicon caps

Finally....after a week of trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with my computer...finally after doing everything I could to try and make my system stable again I stumble upon the answer to all the frustration my pc has put me through this week.
                                      Same exact motherboard, same exact problems (except mine usually doesn't stay up for more than 5 minutes) same exact bulging of the capacitors on my Asrock P4V88. I will admit I haven't been as good as I should about cleaning the dust of of the system, but my case has 5 fans on it (Prescotts are hot chips), and there are two on my psu so I figured it was pretty safe from overheating. Was a great motherboard for the year and a 1/2 that I had it running and I would buy Asrock again if I wasn't afraid of the same situation happening.
                                      Thank you for finally confirming this and putting an end to my endless troubleshooting.

Comment

Re: ASRock P4V88 with bad Taicon caps

well if the caps are gonna blow then they will do that no matter if the case is well cooled or not. they will probably just do it faster in a hot environment.

are you gonna repair the board?

Comment

Working...
                                        X