Memorex MLT3221 - No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memorex MLT3221 - No Power

You can continue here since it's the same model TV.

The best way to start with that is to open it up. Most likely you will find something burned inside. Depending on what this is, most likely it can be fixed. Take picures of your power board, front and back. It's not too hard to get this out. You dont have to take the whole outside shell of the TV off, just the control box part on the back. It's about six screws. Three showing (one large black screw and two small black screws). After that, the first part will slide down and off to show the three inner silver screws. After that, this aluminum part is hinged so just lift and off.

There also is no need to disassemble the stand, which makes it nice to work on with the unit standing up.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Thanks Dgtech,
      I will start opening it up this evening and will take a look around for the burnt out component/s and take the pictures. I will remember to keep the pictures under 2000px by 2000px (saw that on another thread).

This is very interesting to me. I love electronics.

Thanks for your help

Steve

Comment

Hi again,
        I was able to remove the power supply board and can see that one of the caps is buldging on top.
        I will get some photos and post them

Comment

Ok so here goes with the photos........
          1) MLT3221 PSU Front view (MLTPSUFront.JPG)
          2) MLT3221 PSU Back view (MLTPSUBack.JPG)
          3) Capacitors with bad one at back (MLTCapsBadAtBack.JPG)
          4) Bad Capacitor showing bulge on top (MLTBadCap.JPG)
          5) Board Rev Data (MLTPSURev.JPG)

Looks like I need to replace that Bad EC17.
          Attached Files

Comment

A little more information

The Rev info is
            IPOS 150
            REV: 1.8
            200-P00-HM150H

Also checked D10 in circuit and it is .498

Comment

Change both of these caps out - side by side. You'll have to verify the cap values but I think these were 10uF 350V or something like that. You might be good after this replacement, however, I have one in my shop now that, for some reason, does not work right even after the cap replacement. Start with that and most likely that will fix it.
              The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Thanks Dgtech I will go ahead and do that.
                Time to get out the solder sucker :-)

Comment

They are 10uF 450v

Comment

Got the Cap kit today and went ahead and put the two 10uF 450v ones on the board to replace the bad ones. The TV now works great. Thank you Dgtech for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by sguthrie@cisaz.com View Post
                      They are 10uF 450v
                      Where is the best place to purchase these caps? i have the same tv with the same problem and would like to give it a shot fixing it!! The tv was given to me, they said smoke came out of the top so they unplugged it and were gonna throw it out. So i took it and figured i would try to fix it, "im a tinker bug" This forum rocks!!! I hope to be able to get it going!

Comment

Ok i replaced both caps 10uf 450v as recommended put it all back together one blew. Is there something that caused that or could be just have been a bad cap that i got?

Comment

Nevermind!! I took it back apart and put the other cap that wasn't bad back in, and blew it out any dust on the board and inside of the tv really good and put it all back together and its working great, thank you!!!!!!

Comment

so i've been studying all sorts of youtube videos, this forum, other websites, combined with my generally good understanding of electricity and remedial knowledge of elctronics having experienced a problem with my memorex mlt4221p. the red standby light was on as usual and when i turned it on, instead of powering up like it should do, the light just went out and the tv is dead. took it apart and found the fuse up inside the tv on the power supply board thingy was bad....I replaced it with a 5 amp 250 volt slow blow and the other fuse blew down by the power cord rated at 4 amps 250 v slow blow. replaced that one but did not try powering it up since i figured there must be a fault in the circuitry causing the problem....after studying bad capacitors on youtube i did a visual inspection of the caps to see if there were any visual signs of bad caps...none were noted. i also looked for other visual signs of bad components but couldn't see anything....so, any suggestions as to where/how i should start troubleshooting?

Comment

Originally posted by tippysolon View Post
                              I replaced it with a 5 amp 250 volt slow blow and the other fuse blew down by the power cord rated at 4 amps 250 v slow blow.
                              I'm not the best troubleshooter but you need to replace the original fuse with the same amperage fuse or you will damage the set. If you're lucky, you'd hope that the main 4 amp was the only thing that blew. The main fuse (near the power plug in) is more than the fuse of the power board itself.

When a fuse blows, it's not the fuse's fault. It doesn't simply blow for the fun of it. If a fuse blows then there is a real problem. Usually a direct short causing it to blow. The amperage rating is set so that if anything in the circuit would cause the current to go higher than the circuit's supply fuse, it will open up, blocking any higher current to go through. If you put a higher rated fuse in there, you're just allowing that current to go through. Doing so may damage something.

In the middle of the board I think there is a fuse called (F2). Check this one as well. I am simply assuming at this point because your model number differs from the one that i had and you didn't post any pictures of your board. I guess you may do that soon. This could help us help you fix the problem.

Comment

I'm working on this same TV. The red LED on the power supply board blinks about once a second when the set is on. It has sound, but the backlight does not appear to come on. The large EC2 cap has a dome on top, which I normally associate with a bad cap, but it passes doing the "reverse-the-DVM-leads-and-see-if-it-charges" test. There is no burnt odor to indicate anything really bad happened. I checked all the diodes on the front side of the board, and the zener, and they seem OK. EC17 has an ever-so-slight appearance that it may have domed. EC7 and EC8 to the right of L6 look OK and pass the DVM charge test. Any thoughts of what to check next? This is the same revision board as shown earlier in the thread- dated 2006.11.25. Any assistance would be appreciated. It belongs to an elderly lady who is bedridden, and I'm trying to "save" it for her.

-Web in Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Originally posted by WY3XinSC View Post
                                  EC17 has an ever-so-slight appearance that it may have domed. EC7 and EC8 to the right of L6 look OK and pass the DVM charge test
                                  Post pictures following the guidelines in my sig file below for a 2nd opinion on whether your caps are bad or not. The test you are doing doesn't accurately measure uF and ESR.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here are two photos of the capacitor that I suspect may be bad. I think doming is obvious, but is it possible that it was manufactured like this?

I checked the voltage at this cap- 165V spot-on with the set on, and on the 5VSB test point, definitely 5.110 volts is present. When the set is turned on, definitely 5.110 volts on the 5V test point.

Thanks, -Web
                                    Attached Files

Comment

What about EC7, EC8 and EC17 (the ones that I wanted to see) in post #56?

In fact, please post a picture of the entire power board (top down view).
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

They look unremarkable, really nothing domed-looking about them. Here are those photos. Thanks, -Web
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Whole board photo
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X