Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS4 Launch Model Disk Drive Issue (disc drive no power won’t accept discs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 Launch Model Disk Drive Issue (disc drive no power won’t accept discs)

Hey guys, so I have a weird one. I have been working on PlayStation 4 since they come out. I have fixed almost everything that hasn't required BGA soldering. Just a little background.

Now this particular PS4 had a broken HDMI port. It was replaced and it works perfectly. Upon reassemble the disc drive stopped taking in discs. Now I have seen this before and it has ALWAYS been the BD drive daughter board or the BD drive itself. I first replaced the BD Daughter board to see if the drive would start accepting discs before I started soldering the chip over to a new donor board. Still same symptoms.

Next I replaced the BD drive with a different one that is known good and working and still will not accept a disc. No sounds no nothing from the BD drive.

The next thing I did was take the BD drive and daughter board to a completely different PS4. It works normally. So then I replaced all the ribbons and power cable even though they looked good. Still nothing.

I checked the connector on the motherboard where the flex cable goes in and it is fine nice and tight. At this point I am lost. I went back and checked all the fuses on all the daughter boards we had thinking maybe they were all bad but they all tested good.

I am completely lost on this one. Can it be something on the main Board? I have never seen a schematic for PS4 so I don't know if the mAinboard has any parts that control the drive. I also have NEVER seen a PS4 that the disc drive issue wasn't the drive itself or the daughter board. I'm lost!

HELP!

Edit - I wanted to add if the unit is off and you go to put a disc in the unit will power on but it won't take the disc in. The system beeps turns on and that is it.

Also if you hit the eject button on the BD drive daughter board it does give you the triple beep.
    Last edited by steveoski; 02-13-2019, 10:19 PM. Reason: More info

Re: PS4 Launch Model Disk Drive Issue (disc drive no power won't accept discs)

theck the power at the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      theck the power at the drive.
      Can you be a little more specific? Measure the power on the BD drive where? The daughter board does have power. I am not in right now but I can tell you the voltages on each fuse if it is helpful.

Also the BD drive and daughter board do work normally on a different PS4. Obviously you can’t play a game but it will read and take the disc in etc. however once’s it goes back into the original PS4 it will not accept the discs again.
      Last edited by steveoski; 02-14-2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

it sounds like you have 5v but not 12v - if it uses 12v motors.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          it sounds like you have 5v but not 12v - if it uses 12v motors.
          Where on the PS4 should I measure to verify if I have the 12v?

Comment

i have not worked on one, but the power should be obvious - the tracks must be larger.

Comment

Post some photos of the ps mainboard and the BR drive board.
              Also from what I've read, some ( or probably all? ) bluray drives are matched to the mainboard, which basically means that you can not use the drive with any mainboard.
              btw, have seen this https://techdevice.repair/gaming-sys...cement-service

Comment

Yes the drives are married to the console. If you take a bd drive over to a different PS4 you have to transfer over the daughter board as well. If you don't it will read but the games won't play.

So this drive does function in a different Ps4 but obviously doesn't read. I will post some pictures here in a sec

Comment

Pictures of the BD Drive daughter board and main board connections
                  Attached Files

Comment

I understand your comments about swapping BD drives between consoles to test mechanical functionality (obviously it will not read discs unless the daughterboard or IC is swapped).

Let us back up a step to the HDMI port repair.

Did you accidentally damage the board during this repair? It is possible you cut a PCB trace, or splashed some solder across a critical point, or knocked off a small surface mount component.

On another note, you appear to have a messy/unclean workspace, and no particular care was given to the ribbon cables because they look rather trashed. Is it possible a ribbon cable is damaged?

What about the 4 wire connector (black and grey) to the bottom of the Blu-ray daughterboard? Is it plugged in? Probe these wires for the 5V and 12V.

Comment

Working...
                    X