Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-70R550A Half Screen Dark

Hello all,

My 70" Sony LCD TV is showing one half of the screen very dark. This happened after the TV was moved to my new home. The TV was working perfectly fine before the move. The TV was professionally crated by the moving company and I did not find any signs of physical damage when I received it. However, as soon I I turned the TV on in my new house I noticed the problem.
    I have attached a picture for reference.

I read in this forum that there are many TVs like mine that had undergone damage of the LCD panel all of a sudden. I'm not sure if the problem with mine had to do with the move itself of it is related to the same issue many others are having.

I will appreciate any advise you can provide based on what you see in the picture. Also any pointers from the folks who have experience the same or a similar issue are welcome. I believe my TV shares parts with the Sharp and Vizio equivalents.

Thanks and I look forward to receiving your feedback.

Manso
    Attached Files

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-70R550A Half Screen Dark

see this thread as an example of a wide range of sets through out the thread including sony recently.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49281

However, in your case, it is not likely the issue of a bad tabs.... more likely the issue of a loose cable (lower corner on that side).... but all cables should be checked.

Further, you might want to check with the moving company first before doing anything as they may try to "point fingers" at you soon thereafter and back away from any responsibility.

Comment

Thank you budwich for the quick reply. I appreciate your insight. I will check the thread to get acquainted with the problem.

My shipment was insured by my employer as I got relocated. I have filed a claim with the moving company. I will wait for their resolution before I start messing with the TV. For now I want to do all the research I can to try and save the set.

One question Budwich, is there anything in particular that makes you think I may not have a tab problem? Also, regarding the loose cable you mentioned, is this a cable connected to the Tcon board or to the panel itself?

Thanks.

Comment

If you look at pictures thru that and other threads, you will see the "exact" same picture on those sets... :-)

If your insurance covers a replacement set, that's great.... even greater if they leave you with the broken one as a "sovernier of your move"... cause then you can likely save it for friend or secondary use... :-)

Comment

That certainly is a side tab driver failure either it's a coincidence that happened when you moved your TV it was going to happen anyways or somehow Maybe moisture got to it? Either way it appears that you should remove the back and inspect the left boards on the panel. Take pics for us. Look to see if any drivers are carmalized color showing they overheated. This is where you will most likely find your problem. I highly doubt this is caused by the shipping company how long was it TV not use before you started using it again? Usually shipping company disasters end up with a busted screen this one looks like it was handled very carefully
          I think it's going to be pretty hard to prove to the shipping company that your TV was working prior considering that there is no external damage to it unfortunately so I don't think that's going to get you anywhere but you can certainly try.

The driver that most likely failed is the one directly on the left side right underneath the Netflix logo you can see that predominant horizontal line where the red doesn't expand as far on the lower sidea as it does on the upper side
          Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-18-2015, 08:34 AM.
          Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Thanks freak for chiming in. Looks like I need to prepare to open the TV soon. Yeah I dont have high expectations on the insurance claim but I thought I'd try anyway. I hope to hear from them soon.

Well the move was actually very long. I moved overseas and all my belongings were sent to me by sea. I was tracking the shipment the whole time and the journey took a little over two months from port to port. Now that you mention moisture it is very likely that that might have happened. I shipped two other smaller TVs and they are both working fine though.

Anyway, I think I will wait a couple more weeks to hear back from the insurance company and then will open the TV regardless of the outcome. I will certainly take pictures and post them here and would appreciate your guidance.

When you say left side driver, is this looking from the front or back of the TV?

Cheers

Comment

Hmm, looks like it uses SHARP LCD panel according to Shopjimmy, freakaftr8 knows alot about this type of failure.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hello guys. I finally had some time to open the TV. I went straight to the left tabs (looking from the front of the TV) and started messing with them. I applied pressure gently with my finger one by one until I got an almost perfect picture. I say almost perfect because a horizontal line was still visible. I kept messing with all the tabs but the line wouldn't go away no matter what.
                There are five greenish tabs on the left side that seem to be glued to the panel. The third one from the top down seemed to be the what with the problem as the screen would go crazy as soon as I applied little pressure on it. The first and second ones from the top down where somewhat sensitive but almost unnoticeable. The two bottom ones did nothing to the screen when I touched them. In addition to the five green tabs, there is a brownish ribbon with a connector on each end which seem to connect the top and bottom. Nothing seem to jabbed when I tapped either end of it.
                So I left the TV on for a couple of hours and the image was good the whole time except for the horizontal line.

I wanted to get your thoughts on what the next step should be. Will I have to remove the left tabs? If so, what is the best way to do it? Will have to remove all five tabs plus the brown ribbon? Also should I pull the tabs from the end connected to the front of the LCD panel or from the end that connects on the side, or from both ends?

Sorry for all the questions, but since I heard this process is irreversible I want to make sure I do it right. It looks to me that I may be able to save the TV but I don't want to make a mistake during the process.
                I have attached some pictures for your reference.
                Thanks and look forward to hearing back from you all.

Manso
                Attached Files
                Last edited by mansomec; 01-30-2016, 08:56 AM. Reason: Add pictures

Comment

Hey well that looks like your problem. The reason you're applying pressure to that driver is because it already had shorted and thermally melted itself away from the film driver tab. Essentially I would be removing the whole left side of those drivers with the boards attached. Just like I do in my video accept you are the left side. This would include the two boards that are attached with the brown ribbon cable in the center, you'll get a perfect idea of what I'm talking about if you watch the video

You are on the right track.

Comment

freakafter8.
                    Can I ask what video?
                    Regards
                    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

This one.

https://youtu.be/A9UaWnsF2Mg

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                        Hey freakaftr8, I just can't understand why removing the tabs from one side can make it work again. Why does it work without the tabs? Aren't they required to form the image?

Removing the tabs, will it loose some quality of image? Reduce resolution? Maybe less active pixels? (instead 2 million pixels @ 1080p)

In your video, you see a dark area after removing the tabs, did you manage to get it working 100% again?

Comment

As it's a large screen,they choose to have drivers on both sides of the screen to drive it. Both left and right are driven at the same time,both drivers working together to get you your picture.Those drivers fail and basically your screen is defective and you can toss the tv in the bin. But by removing the bad drivers on the one side,you remove the shorted driver and the other side drivers do it by themselves,giving your tv a second chance at life. Picture looks the same. How long will it last? till the other side drivers fail,nobody cn give you a time line on that. I know of tv's that ru with halve the drivers for two years.
                          Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

Originally posted by easy2know View Post

In your video, you see a dark area after removing the tabs, did you manage to get it working 100% again?
                            I am also wondering this. Did you get your TV back to 100% after removing the drivers from one side?

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, and for the YT vid Freak, showed me exactly what I needed to do. Just saved my same model Sony, at least for as long as it lasts. It was the right side on mine as well, but it’s back up and running now.

I’m guessing that it’s not possible to purchase just the circuit board/drivers for that side and replace? It didn’t look like I’d be able to rehook them back up without busting into the panel, not sure if that’s possible.

Appreciate it guys!

Comment

Hi guys, just a quick follow up, has anyone had any update on this issue? Does the t-con board needs to be replaced as well?

Comment

Originally posted by sverchok View Post
                                  Hi guys, just a quick follow up, has anyone had any update on this issue? Does the t-con board needs to be replaced as well?
                                  That particular issue has nothing to do with the tcon.

Comment

I did the same thing as Tdub, removing the strips on one side of the TV, and it fixed the issue for me! This was my post regarding my TV's problem: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...rizontal+zones

Comment

Trying to view the link posted earlier in thread but states private. How can I access the video.

https://youtu.be/A9UaWnsF2Mg

Comment

Working...
                                      X