Intel D945GTP motherboard no post no beep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel D945GTP motherboard no post no beep

My friend's Intel D945GTP socket 775 motherboard had the misfortune of being powered by an Antec SP-350 with Fuhjyuu caps. He said the power supply squealed for a couple of months, but the computer worked until recently.

By the time I got it, it won't post or beep. When I measured the 5V SB rail, it was 11V DC. I opened up the power supply and found 2 bloated 1000uF 10V caps on the 5V SB rail. I also changed out the 22uF 50V and the squealing stopped.

Now that the power supply works, but the D945GTP won't post.

Symptoms
    =======

- no beeps
    - no display
    - no POST

Tests done so far
    ==========

Here is what I have tested so far and found. All resulted in no beeps and no POST.

- all tests done below with the motherboard "bread boarded" (that is, out of the case sitting on a cardboard box)
    - installed new 3V battery (measures 3.33V DC on multimeter)
    - cleared CMOS battery by removing it for a hour and tried moving the clear CMOS jumper
    - tried to reflash BIOS by removing jumper and following Intel BIOS recovery instructions
    - all voltages on PSU are within spec
    - cannot turn the board on and off by shorting out the power sw pins (need to jumper green and black)
    - all voltages on the motherboard around the CPU, southbridge, and northbridge appear normal (1.3V around vcore, 1.8V DC around DIMM)
    - installed known working CPU
    - installed known working Kingston 512MB DDR2 memory
    - tried one DIMM in slot 1 and then slot 2 and get no beep
    - tried removing all DDR memory and I still get no beep
    - tried known working video adapter

Questions
    ======

1) Is the southbridge fried because I can't turn on board by shorting out the power sw pins?
    2) What parts of the motherboard might be fried due to the 11V DC on the 5V standby rail?
    Attached Files
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Re: Intel D945GTP motherboard no post no beep

Forgot to add that the 2 led post card I have shows nothing on the display other than the lights on for voltage (3.3, 5.0, and 12.0V DC).
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
    X