Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte 1080 G1 - no video, visible in device manager

Hello,
    I am having problems with Gigabyte Gaming G1 1080 that is visible in device manager (with an error). GPU-Z identifies it partially (has a name of the card, card ID, but lists revision as FF). Other info (voltages, frequency, etc.) spills from the remaining GPU that's used as primary display.

- Mats crashes with a segmentation fault.
    - If I boot with the card as the only card I get no picture.
    - All voltages are present

I swapped the BIOS chip, tried different BIOS revisions, but no luck. Is there any chance there's fault in something else than the GPU core? Any tips for other tests I can try?

Thank you so much.

Re: Gigabyte 1080 G1 - no video, visible in device manager

Are you sure it is not a memory fault. A member on here has a video channel where he tries to fix things and he had a GTX1060 with an intermitent no video fault,. this was down to a bad connection on one of the memory chips. Have a look
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos
    hope I can post the link to it.

Comment

Thank you. Shouldn't a bad ram chip show up on MATS? Can a bad video ram prevent a card from running MATS altogether?

Comment

I would not know, just getting to grips with fault finding. It was just that it sounded a similar problem to the video

Comment

Originally posted by Tonys59 View Post
          I would not know, just getting to grips with fault finding. It was just that it sounded a similar problem to the video
          Ok, I see. As far as I know bad video memory would either fail MATS or make card behave in an unstable way. Unless shorted - I assume direct short to ground in one of the chips could possibly stop card from booting (since there would be no PGOOD from vram voltage controller, thus no PEX enable). But then you would notice it during the resistance measurements.

Comment

On my 6700xt with no video, but also detected as secondary with the iGPU, in GPUz it lists most stuff, but it's blank for things like the texture fill rate, and the clocks

HWinfo didn't seem to list it, or maybe just 1 line, on senors anyways.

Afterburner gave some stuff, I'll have to check tomorrow, maybe that was CPU stuff.

I ran dmgg ramtest script, and it's like it finishes, but it doesn't report any result.....so maybe it's my vram ? 3 days ago it said there was no vram problems.
            Last edited by MasterCap; 08-10-2022, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Did it report faults in one chip, multiple ones or all of them? If one chances are it's a bad chip, if multiple then it probably is a memory controller in the core. If all of them it either could be the controller or power issue.

In any case I would check all the phases (voltage and PWM) just to be sure.

At least that's I think the case for MATS. I don't have any experience with AMD cards. :/

This issue of partial detection coupled with no results from memory test is bothering me, cause quite a few cards have it and I have no idea what to make of it except it's a dead core.

Comment

Update:
                I found out there were multiple faults:
                - 10k resistor between 1V8 and CS signal for BIOS went dead short
                - PEX was unstable due to faulty buck converter

I fixed both of them, but the card still has the one main problem.
                Despite all the voltages being present there is no communication in between the core and the BIOS (not even on the CS line). I checked the resistors and they are all good. I also checked reset signal and it's resistance to ground - all good there as well.

Card shows up in Windows (error 43) but with inaccessible BIOS (both by GPU-Z and nvflash).

Is it 100 % a dead core or is there something else that can stop the card from accessing BIOS while it has power?

Thanks
                Last edited by Prott; 10-26-2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

So, an update - by accident (auch) I discovered that both vram inductors get very hot very fast (they get hotter than the core in 20 seconds which doesn't seem right). I measured the phase resistance and it's within the norm (96 ohms to ground).

Scope showed me a nice PWM signal on the input and around 1.4 V on the output.

What would be a cause for such a behavior? Thanks for any help! :-)

EDIT: The switching frequency is 100 kHz, which seems a bit slow (the datasheet states it should be 3x as much and my 1070 confirms that). Is it typical behavior for a 1080?
                  Last edited by Prott; 11-08-2022, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Fixed the problem with overheating inductors. It was a shorted cap on the TON line for RT8816 causing the TON voltage to be 0 and switching frequency going too low, saturating the inductors.

However, the card still doesn't work. All voltages are good, stable, yet the core doesn't access the BIOS. What a shame. :/

Comment

Working...
                    X