Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing a Next 17" Megapixel Display

Hi,

I'm slowly trying to bring a dead megapixel (aka Sony Trinitron M41KKA16X, possibly aka HP A4032A) back from the dead.

First step was to recap the PSU and replace a power regulator IC, this got it to stay powered on instead of shutting off immediately. Next, I could see a glow in the tube but couldn't see raster, until I turned up the screen control on the flyback a little... PROGRESS!

When I connect the next station and turn it on, the display flickers at the top & bottom but there's no visible image. On the input board, it looks like the cap in the photo (among others) vented. When it warms up, I can distinctly smell fishy electrolyte coming from this board. The board is pretty messy on the back, but I'm comfortable replacing caps and cleaning/repairing traces as necessary.

There's a part I can't identify that looks like it might be adjustable. There are 3 on the board and the one in the Green input section looks like its expanded and released something? Can anybody shed light on what this part is and where I might source a replacement?
    Attached Files

Re: Repairing a Next 17" Megapixel Display

Thats an adjustment pot, they sometimes put some glue on it so it does'nt move out of adjustment. There may be a 3 digit number on it for its value (ie 103) meaning 10K
    Just measure its value
    Looking at the picture it looks like something was spilled in it as there is some corrosion on a lot of the parts
    That cap in the picture looks normal, if it vented the top would be split open or the bottom bung would be pushed out
    Last edited by R_J; 12-04-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Re: Repairing a Next 17" Megapixel Display

Compare it to the good one from the Blue input section in another photo. See how the green plastic bit is flared out? The part looks damaged to me. Maybe some electrolyte got inside & corroded it - it really looks like the stuff around it is corrosion of some type, not glue. The other two don't have any signs of that stuff.

OK - thanks for the input R_J.

Many of the caps DID vent from the bottom. I don't have good pictures, but most of the larger ones are a mess underneath.

I'll start by replacing all of the caps and see how things go.
      Last edited by bclkjs; 12-04-2017, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X