Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo TX-NR717 No sound.

Hey guys ,

Trying to repair this receiver for a friend.
    Symptoms were that he had to turn the receiver on/off a few times to get sound and after a while there was no sound at all.
    I already reflowed the DTS chip with flux and hot air but i still dont get any sound. Have to say i hooked up my Samsung S8 to "PC" input....maybe the receiver dont detect the S8 input and it needs a tv/PS4 or something?

Will post some pictures and the service manual tomorrow when i got more time but i was hoping for a quick fix as this seems a common problem with these sets.

Thanks!
    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Re: Onkyo TX-NR717 No sound.

The DTS chip is dead.
    Check if this particular receiver is covered by the onkyo's extended warranty ( the notorious "no sound, no video, no net issue" ).

Comment

Ok , so it is absolutely dead? Maybe reflow again? It was never reflowed before.

A new chip would be a option but that chip needs programming right?
      I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
        The DTS chip is dead.
        Check if this particular receiver is covered by the onkyo's extended warranty ( the notorious "no sound, no video, no net issue" ).
        ^This, but hurry, the extended warranty is only good through the end of 2018 (at least in North America, not sure about the rest of the world): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...il-2018-a.html

Originally posted by Moreno83
        A new chip would be a option but that chip needs programming right?
        Yes, and unless you have the tools and resources (access to the firmware) to program it yourself a chip won't do any good , Onkyo won't sell you just a programed chip, only an entire board which is cost prohibitive (I believe around $300-$500) given the age of these units (now all 6-9 years old).

Some have had luck with re-flows and/or replacing the surface-mount caps, but these are only temporary fixes, if they work at all it will likely fail again within a year or two.

Comment

The DTS IC needs to be programmed?

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
            The DTS IC needs to be programmed?
            It appears that the NAND memory needs programed when the chip is replaced rather than the actual DSP chip itself, but there have been cases where people replace these chips and the receiver won't recognize it so it isn't just a "drop-in" replacement: http://repairalmostanything.com/thre...ew-chip-fitted

Comment

Thank you for all the replies , much appreciated!

I attached some pictures of the receiver but i dont have any caps on the hdmi board?
              Can this be a power issue? That the hdmi board does not get any power at all?

Hope i can still repair this receiver. So i would need a new dts chip and eeprom + firmware?
              Attached Files

Comment

Read this - https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...12b2bc512f.pdf
                That's the list with the defective TI DTS chips.

" Symptoms were that he had to turn the receiver on/off a few times to get sound and after a while there was no sound at all. " - that's a standard symptom of a dying DTS. Still it will not hurt to check the IC's power supply. The caps should be on the other side of the board. If I remember correctly, under that board is the power supply board, so there is a really good chance the caps ( probably smd ) to be fried.

Again - the best thing you can do is to contact onkyo and ask for the extended DTS warranty. You do not need an invoice or any other documents. They also accept units which have been previously repaired by not onkyo repair shops.

Comment

Thanks! I'll ask my friend to contact Onkyo.

I tried to reflow the chip again , i use no clean flux and im pretty sure i did it right but again no sound.
                  I will hook it up to a HDMI input to see if i get a picture and sound via HDMI as i used my Samsung S8 and a aux cable.
                  There are no caps on the other site either! ( No caps at all on the hdmi board ).
                  There are caps on the board below the HDMI board , they visually look ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                    There are no caps on the other site either! ( No caps at all on the hdmi board ).
                    Yep, it appears this one doesn't (at least of the electrolytic variety), it varies model to model. My TX-NR636 does have caps on the HDMI board (it also has the "updated" board that is supposed to fix the issues, as well a top-mount thermally controlled 120mm fan to help it run cooler, though it rarely kicks on) as did some of the affected models. They supposedly fixed the problem with the TX-NRx3x series (I believe the TX-NRx0x and TX-NRx1x series are supposed to be the worst for this and some of the TX-NRx2x series are affected as well), I guess time will tell but so far I haven't had any issues with my TX-NR636 in the approximately 5 years I've had it.
                    Last edited by dmill89; 11-17-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I read on the internet that a new DTS chip could fix the issue if the NAND chip is still good? A new chip wont work when the firmware is corrupted ofcourse.

Do you think this receiver would detect a Samsung S8 as input? I used a aux cable from S8 to the receiver and plugged it in the TV/CD audio input on the back of the receiver. No sound though.....
                      Do i need to see the speaker symbols when the set turns on or when it detects a input signal?

Comment

Used HDMI arc but i only get a picture and no audio. So either a new board / chip or problem with the nand.

Will ask my friend what he wants to do with this set.

Comment

Do you think this receiver would detect a Samsung S8 as input? I used a aux cable from S8 to the receiver and plugged it in the TV/CD audio input on the back of the receiver. No sound though.....
                          If the receiver was in working order it should work, but when the hdmi board (it is really more of a "logic" board that does more then just hdmi) goes bad on these it often causes all the inputs not to work including the analog ones.

Comment

What do you suggest in this situation ? Get a new DTS chip? I see that they come with solder balls so thats nice.

Comment

What do you suggest in this situation ? Get a new DTS chip? I see that they come with solder balls so thats nice.
                              It is all a matter of what it is worth to you and the receiver's owner. I'd still recommend checking with Onkyo to see if they'll fix it under warranty. If not you could try just replacing the chip but there is no guarantee it will work and since this is a 7 year old receiver, and while I'm not sure about Europe in the US you can pick up a used TX-NR737/747 (which shouldn't be affected by this issue) for around $200-300 and the TX-NR777 (last year's model) is selling for less than $400 new, so it may not be worth putting much effort into if Onkyo won't repair it under warranty.

Comment

Another clue that it is the DTS chip - the speaker icons on the display do not light up no matter what listening mode you choose.
                                If you have the speaker icons - then most likely it is something else.
                                If you have doubts about the source, you can always switch to tuner.

Comment

Thanks guys! I don't have speaker icons at all , never saw them! My friend will contact Onkyo and I will let you guys know the outcome.

Comment

I think they are still currently offering the service, but you will have to be quick as its set to discontinue. I have had a great deal of success out of this program over the years its been running having out through well over a dozen of these related amps for clients. The problem was as I recall related to bad BGA internal substrate so re-flowing wont repair the problem it might at best extend the life of the part by a few months. When I got the amplifiers returns it was useful to fit a small cpu fan over the affected chip(s) to extend the life of the new one(s)

https://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/feature_..._en_42204.html

hope this is useful to you
                                    Last edited by llonen; 11-23-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Hi,

quite the same problem with my TX NR717 Receiver. I get sound via Front speakers only when Pure Audio is selected. All other modes mute the sound. Tried different sources, Tuner. Could it be bad DTS IC? Should I try to reflow it? One thing is different - that I have all speakers symbols on the display, all relays are working and all configurations can be set (via internal menu or TV menu). Successfully updated to the latest firmware but nothing changed.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by XgN View Post
                                        Hi,

quite the same problem with my TX NR717 Receiver. I get sound via Front speakers only when Pure Audio is selected. All other modes mute the sound. Tried different sources, Tuner. Could it be bad DTS IC? Should I try to reflow it? One thing is different - that I have all speakers symbols on the display, all relays are working and all configurations can be set (via internal menu or TV menu). Successfully updated to the latest firmware but nothing changed.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
                                        No, do not do anything to the DTS.
                                        Most likely it is something else.
                                        For a start check all power rails going to the hdmi board.
                                        Do you have video output? Is the OSD working? Is the internet radio ( DLNA? ) working?

Comment

Working...
                                        X