Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD wins!

Intel has fucked everybody again!!
    are you ready for a 50% performance drop? - your gonna get it once Hyper-threading is removed.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...g_mitigations/

Re: AMD wins!

In the real world it's about 10% with a maximum of 30% if it's the ideal workload.

Comment

sure it is.
      even browsers are multi-threaded and exploit HT and multi-core cpu's now.

Comment

My CPU's are so old, I can care less.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Yep I feel like a winner everytime I use my AMD RYZEN!!
          My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            sure it is.
            even browsers are multi-threaded and exploit HT and multi-core cpu's now.
            Not disagreeing things use HT but suggesting half will be lost is way off.

It's going to be more noticeable in data centres though that's more where the ideal workloads are seen.

Comment

are you ready for a 50% performance drop? - your gonna get it once Hyper-threading is removed.
              Reminds me of the "Bush Jr." era, where some people had HT-phobia. IIRC, back in the Pentium 4 era, (they were AKA "Pee 4") some people were telling other people to disable hyper-threading, accusing hyper-threading of causing malfunctions, LOL
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-16-2019, 10:59 AM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                Reminds me of the "Bush Jr." era, where some people had HT-phobia. IIRC, back in the Pentium 4 era, (they were AKA "Pee 4") some people were telling other people to disable hyper-threading, accusing hyper-threading of causing malfunctions, LOL
                Interesting, I know a few years back I was running a optiplex 280 with a geforce 100 OEM card and I had put in a 3.2ghz CedarMill pentium 4. Playing youtube and watching taskmanager it was hitting 100% cpu and causing the video to drop frames where it was running great a few days ago. Noticed that the CMOS battery went dead and hyperthreading got disabled, turned it back on and with hyperthreading enabled cpu usage went down to 80-85% on youtube and the video playback was smooth! this was in 2014 or so when trying to use a P4 with the modern internet was on its way out.

As a side note I usually always bought i5 cpus as I could never justify the price premium of the i7 just to get hyperthreading and a slightly higher clock. this thread makes me feel better about that decision.
                My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

People are confusing threading (software concept) versus threading (hardware concept). Disabling hardware multithreading will not make software threading take twice as long to complete.

The speed penalty depends on the application and the OS scheduling. The 10-30% is about right from my experience though even this is optimistic. As regards to BT's experience, this is because of poorly written "multithreaded" OS/applications, usually because the scheduler improperly can't or won't relinquish control to other threads, and having hardware threading will see a huge apparent increase in throughput because now the crap OS/software is letting hardware run the other thread.

Of course having another core is much better than a SMT thread. But I have seen the actual throughput increase before and it is real and I use it when I can when throughput matters. The largest measurable increase I've seen was running one of those distributed clients from distributed.net which is completely CPU bound (no network or disk usage) and saw that 25%-odd throughput increase when using both threads on a P4. Of course each individual thread took significantly longer to complete, but there was a significant throughput increase.

Again on an ideal OS and properly written software, you will see very little speed loss with the disabling of hardware multithreading, especially when the software is waiting for user input most of the time. But bad software that's completely chomping the CPU will see a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                    software that's completely chomping the CPU will see a penalty.
                    Fun fact: Goldeneye chomped on the Nintendo 64 CPU! (And it probably does chomp on the CPU more than Perfect Dark!)
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                      Not disagreeing things use HT but suggesting half will be lost is way off.

It's going to be more noticeable in data centres though that's more where the ideal workloads are seen.
                      apple says 40%,
                      so probably similar for Linux.
                      although mine is on an AMD dual core.

Comment

For people that are not up to date ... new exploit found for Intel computers ... again related to HT/SMT ... NOT present in AMD and ARM processors

They called it Zombieload

Wired: Meltdown Redux: Intel Flaw Lets Hackers Siphon Secrets from Millions of PCs - https://www.wired.com/story/intel-md...cution-buffer/

Bleeping Computer : New RIDL and Fallout Attacks Impact All Modern Intel CPUs - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...rn-intel-cpus/

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          My CPU's are so old, I can care less.
                          Maybe not? I wonder if Netburst's HT has the same flaw? What about Nehalem/Westmere EP (both of those have HT as well)? I know you have both still in service (as I do I). Westmere and Nehalem are not on the microcode fix list (on the "no changes" list), Which would imply the issue sandy bridge and later (which is on the fix list)... but as old as they are, it could be a case of "nobody uses those, aww f*ck it". Dunno.

Fix list referenced attached, which came from this advisory from Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-sa-00233.html

----

I only have 3 potentially effected systems in service: One netburst (irwindale), one Westmere EP, and one ivy bridge (main personal laptop, a tricked out Latitude E6430). I don't plan on disabling HT... unless I see concrete proof that said platform is indeed affected.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            Maybe not? I wonder if Netburst's HT has the same flaw? What about Nehalem/Westmere EP (both of those have HT as well)? I know you have both still in service (as I do I). Westmere and Nehalem are not on the microcode fix list (on the "no changes" list), Which would imply the issue sandy bridge and later (which is on the fix list)... but as old as they are, it could be a case of "nobody uses those, aww f*ck it". Dunno.

Fix list referenced attached, which came from this advisory from Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-sa-00233.html

----

I only have 3 potentially effected systems in service: One netburst (irwindale), one Westmere EP, and one ivy bridge (main personal laptop, a tricked out Latitude E6430). I don't plan on disabling HT... unless I see concrete proof that said platform is indeed affected.
                            My Harpertowns don't support HT....hmmmm I still have a paxville system in operation and several westmere's though.... I never did bother with spectre patches though....all my westmere systems aren't accessible to or from the outside world.....
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

The list of affected CPUs includes CPUs without HT.

I have two affected CPUs. One is a Core i5 without HT, and the other was always unusually slow in every application except benchmarks.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I bought a Ryzen instead of the i5. Would I like it?

Comment

Meanwhile, I'm smiling with 2 i3 CPUs (i3 540 and i3 3220), both with HT
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Uh, reminds me of the earlier Pentium I stuff, even when it apparently carried on until at least 1995 or real close to 1995. (the floating point bug)

But I don't think it's quite as bad as that. But still bull! The floating point bug, would definitely make people required to throw their processors away! IIRC, Intel said that the 133s and higher, don't have the hardware bug.
                                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-17-2019, 09:41 AM.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

that FP bug thing was the thing that set me against Intel,
                                    i always used cyrix or amd when i could after that.

it wasnt the FP bug, it was the "go fuck yourself" type response from intel that was the decider.
                                    i obviously wasnt wrong - they still have the same response to users!

Comment

^
                                      Cyrix.....ohh the memories....memories of horrible performance, instability, and simply not working....I think I'd take the FPU bug. AMD wasn't much better back in those days. Today OTOH, if I had to build a new system for myself, AMD would certainly be on the table of consideration (whereas in the past it wouldn't be).
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

my cyrix systems were fine,
                                        there was an old rule - not cpu specific.
                                        the rule was: avoid pc-chips and other "cheap" chipsets like the plague!!
                                        i remember they had lots of issues if you tried to use the then-new pci slots for example.

and amd k6-2 chips were great.

Comment

Working...
                                        X