This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Even the best antivirus is not 100% , but something is better than nothing especially with the rise in encrypting ransomware.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

I had the exact same thought when I read that.
      Who uses *any* anti-virus software these days anyways?! It's all a scam.
      (or maybe it isn't ... IDK, I haven't had to deal with viruses in a very long time now that frankly I have forgotten everything).
      Common-sense and Adblock goes probably 90% of the way.

Couple that with a weekly or every 14 day malwarebytes scan and you're good.
      Current Specs:
      I5-3570k @ 4.4Ghz(1.22V Rajintek Aidos)
      GTX 970 JetStream
      ASRock P67 Pro3 SE
      Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz/CL9
      Cooler Master Thunder 700W

Oldschool WIP build:
      MSi KT4V
      AMD Sempron 2400
      2X512MB DDR2
      6800GT Asus Ultra
      FSP-300W

Comment

We can agree to disagree on that one. IMO if you do not have active anti-virus protection on your computer you are an idiot... whether that's Windows, Mac, or Linux. I like McAfee Endpoint Security... I can customize every setting in the web interface and it will automatically propagate to all my computers under that management policy. The client-side interface is very clean with no ads or other BS like most free anti-virus and is overall much cleaner than most paid anti-virus programs. I also have it on a few friends/family computers and theirs are on a special policy I created that password protects the entire UI along with the uninstaller. So they can not disable or remove it without me authorizing it.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1818885724...#ht_198wt_1161

So I bought these in hope I could grab a working tuner card from one of them to repair my own unit, which has a dead tuner in it, and then slap them back up on bay to cover my costs.

Ended up repairing them all bar 1065 unit, which ive got partially working.

Such easy fixes too.

Didn't read disks - Cleaned lens with rubbing alcohol
          HDD Error - Pure luck but turns out the ribbon cable was in wrong way round. Service menu format. Done
          Stuck on welcome, couple of caps in the PSU. Identified by swapping my working psu into them. Replaced the two 3900uf caps next to heatsinks

The 1065 unit ive got working but seems its got a firmware bug. I can tune in all the channels and picks them up but screen remains black and when I try to go to the EPG it just kicks me out. Needs a service remote to get into service mode apparently.

Comment

Also picked up a couple of things at carboot today

Gale 3080w Powered Sub - I think its got amp issue as the speaker wire has been cut to bypass the amp and is running out of the woofer hole at the rear. So someones just been powering it passively. £5

Wharfdale SVP-X12 PA Speaker - looks fine (Only bought it to test an amp that I bought last week that looks to just had a missing fuse but hadn't been able to test it with any decent load so bought this) £10

pulsar zero 3000 ii - 50p

And a few collector editions VHS boxsets - Fifth element Special Collectors edition VHS - 50p each

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Made a rainy day curbside score: a nicotine ridden polaroid TDA-02610A LCD TV/DVD combo. Not functional.

Once it dries out some more, I will open it up... hopefully just bad caps.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                Once it dries out some more, I will open it up...
                I'd say open it now and make sure it doesn't have roaches inside. If it smells funky (besides the cigarette smoke), beware!

By the way, is it a Philips rebadge by any chance? If yes, it most likely does have bad caps (Stone, CapXon, and all the rest ).

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  I'd say open it now and make sure it doesn't have roaches inside. If it smells funky (besides the cigarette smoke), beware!

By the way, is it a Philips rebadge by any chance? If yes, it most likely does have bad caps (Stone, CapXon, and all the rest ).
                  No roaches, just nicotine infused dust

Not a phillips... generic chinese construction. Bad caps in the inverter (two bulged 10uf 450V).. recapping it next week (as most were values I didn't have as spares).
                  sigpic

Comment

thats the pattern failure in this proview chassis.
                    you will spend more time cleaning the funk off/out of it than fixing it.
                    nice modular design.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                      thats the pattern failure in this proview chassis.
                      you will spend more time cleaning the funk off/out of it than fixing it.
                      nice modular design.
                      yeah once I figured it out it is easy to work on.

It's old from 2007. Can do 720p or 1080i. Damn, no 1080p i take it?
                      sigpic

Comment

Picked up a Phaser 8500 off Freecycle. Also has a new unused maintenance kit, 5 new magenta, 3 new black, 2 new cyan and 3 new yellow wax bricks. Works fine, smells like crayons and is insanely sharp.

One downside is you aren't going to get one quick printjob from poweron. It takes 17 minutes to get through the self test.

Edit: Make that an 8550DP. Xerox doesn't make it the easiest to determine what model it is until the config page is printed, they all just have an 8500 badge. Also has 256 megs ram but no HDD. Looks to be standard DDR1 SODIMM laptop ram so I might see if I can throw a gig or two of that in.
                        Last edited by Compgeke; 10-27-2015, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Unless you are watching Blu-Ray (or equivalently, a Blu-Ray rip), you don't really need anything better than 720p - not for TV anyways. Cable quality is often too compressed to make a difference. 720p, 1080i, 1080p, all the same really.

Now, if you were to use this as a PC monitor... yes, 1080p would definitely be much better as you won't be limited to 1280x720 resolution.

Comment

I found this Toshiba 26" last week and I've still got the headache to prove it. The best thing, however, was probably a Dyson vacuum that had absolutely no problems. It originally sold for $500.

My favorite thing is a circa 1940 appliance dolly from Colson Equipment & Supply. It has all original everything from the nuts and bolts to the tires that still hold air. I don't really have a use for it but I think it's cool as hell. I haven't even been able to get an approximate worth on it but I did see one on ebay that had some replacement parts and the asking price was $350.

If anyone has an idea on the value, I sure would like to know.

Comment

are you sure the Dyson is o.k. and you didnt just get lucky?
                              those are known for the cable breaking where it enters the casing.

Comment

Dead at boot sale today, winter weather putting people off but you would think coming up to Christmas it would be busier. Anyhow scored a couple of items, £20 for all.

B&O cona passive sub. In pretty good nic
                                B&O RL 35 Speaker - very clean condition

and a rough looking studiomaster mofset 1000 amp, cover is missing but it does power up. Has two huge capacitors in it, terrified if they just blew up.

Does anyone know what kind of connectors these are? XLR?

3Pin ones
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by mikay786; 11-01-2015, 02:50 AM.

Comment

those are XLR

btw, cheap bastards using pop-rivets - not seen that before!

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Metre-3-...ktxJXnxO38HLdQ

Something like this suitable to pass audio from PC to amp?

And to connect would be one xlr to the right input and 1 xlr to the left input.

Why does it then have two xlr on the out put side?
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by mikay786; 11-01-2015, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Apparently it was the amp back in the 80s from a quick google and supposedly really high quality. It weighs a tonn

Comment

you should only need one to input the signal, it's a poor design.
                                        i would cross-wire those sockets so both sides have L+R on them.

if you dont then you will need to connectors.

the bay link looks good.

Comment

Here's a quick diagram of connectors on that amp. Looks to be missing the fuses however, so you'll need those, caps and possibly springs.

As far as more cheap stuff, hit up a thrift store with a half off day yesterday and grabbed a Sony JE-320 and a Xigmatech NRP-PC602. Both work, surprisingly since they were only $3/ea.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X