X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
    The only good about it is it looks like it has proper Y capacitors ... not regular, unsafe, ceramic capacitors.
    Yeah, no input common mode inductor, no X cap, no MOVs to prevent the input lytics from venting (a safety standards violation, IIRC). Those heatsinks, the MJE13007-copy BJTs, the 470uF input lytics, the TL494, the -26 material output inductors all yell, "I'm a mediocre 250W power supply!"

[elitist rant] Dammit, the UC384x family PWMs and power MOSFETs have been around for 3 decades, everyone knows who the good cap vendors are, powdered iron cores have been around longer than I have, and heatsinks have been around and understood as long or longer! There is no excuse for manufacturing and selling a TL494-and-BJT-switch-device-and-26-material-based, unfiltered input, wimpy-heatsunk, crappy-fanned, crappy-&-wimpy-capacitor-populated POS like this. Not without a multilingual warning label such as, "Warning: this POS is a waste of money and is hazardous to your checking account, computer system, and home!" [/elitist rant]
    Last edited by PeteS in CA; 10-26-2013, 08:03 AM.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Those Chinese PSU names are funny. Though still not as funny as PowMax, IMO.
      Don't know if they're still around, but in the mid-late 80s I came across a Korean power supply company named Torch. Just inspires so much confidence in their reliability. Then there's the classic American power supply company, Acme Electric (Beep! Beep!). In fairness to the latter, they predate Roadrunner cartoons.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Your post made me laugh Actually, the heatsinks are better than they look. That metal is actually pretty hard to bend with your fingers, I was surprised. I'm not saying they're good, just that they aren't the Leadman style ones that look like they were forged from melted beer cans I can load it up to around 200W and see how hot the toroids get. By the way, what's that third coil doing in there?

Comment

Re: Power Star PS-650

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          Yes, very important for your SDRAM to have clean power!
          Oh wait, it's not 1999 anymore?
          You realize that we still use SDRAM today, right? (DDR, DDR2, DDR3... it's all SDRAM) I'm not sure if it's still powered from +3.3V though.

Comment

That third toroid is required for the magamp circuit on the +5V and +3.3V rails as it derives the +3.3V from the +5V transformer pins (hence the combined rating). You will find it in pretty much every PSU with that design (and possibly another one of those), except for PSUs that use linear regulation (or other kinds of DC-DC conversion) to generate the +3.3V rail.
            Last edited by Wester547; 10-28-2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess the design of this one just threw me off, the secondary design is a little different than I'm used to seeing. It's amazing that they use these old designs and "semi-upgrade" them. I'm also used to seeing two rectifier slots available on the +5V rail, but that Power Star has another rectifier slot on the +12V rail.

Even though this design sucks, I wonder how much it would benefit from another +12V rectifier. Although recently I've noticed that a lot of old half bridge PSU's refuse to use schottky rectifiers on the +12V which is unfortunate because they work fine on the +5V and +3.3V

Comment

Re: Power Star PS-650

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
                You realize that we still use SDRAM today, right? (DDR, DDR2, DDR3... it's all SDRAM) I'm not sure if it's still powered from +3.3V though.
                What i meant by SDRAM was that good old classic PC100/PC133 168-pin stuff.
                On crappy motherboards (or maybe even most motherboards and not just crappy ones), it was directly powered from the 3.3V rail, so any instability on the 3.3V rail could make the PC crash.

The most recent motherboards I've worked on is Pentium 4 S478 stuff and AMD AM2. And even on those, *most of the time*, RAM is powered by the 3.3V rail. However, newer RAM (DDR and newer) is 2.5V or lower, so the 3.3V rail is stepped down - usually either through a MOSFET in a linear fashion or with a synchronous buck regulator. Because of that, ripple/noise on the 3.3V rail rarely affects the RAM (and thus system) stability.

Buy try hooking a really crappy PSU (i.e. one with no PI filters and insufficient capacitance) to an old motherboard and see what happens. If the motherboard doesn't have a lot of caps near the RAM to filter power from the PSU, you'll probably get lots of rebooting and/or BSODs.
                Last edited by momaka; 11-04-2013, 11:01 PM.

Comment

That was the principle of the design so I don't understant your crap talk.

The same, powering by +3,3 V is a must to provide minimum load on +3,3 V rail. Nothing else is drawing power from this rail anymore. I am expecting new ATX revision any day which will most likely increase +12 V even further, exclude -12 V rail and also require the PSU to be able to run with no +3,3 (+5) V load.

In the long-term, I expect +3,3 V and finaly also +5 V to be exluded as well, possibly replaced with something like +24 V (for higher efficiency). But it won't be easy and probably will brake backward-compatibility.
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

You'll have to forgive me for the quality of this post - I'm visiting my parents' place for a few days so I'm demoted from a eight core system with 2 1920x1200 screens to a Sempron pc with a 19" lcd screen.
                    In addition, I've snapped the following pictures with my sister's camera, with batteries nearly dead (literraly turned off and on the camera every 2 pictures due to flash getting the batteries below the threshold).
                    I'm also writing this through remote desktop connection to my pc so if i make grammatical mistakes it's the lag.

So please excuse the out of focus and poor quality of pictures, the post,everything, i'm not in my environment.

Anyways, on with the story. Father complained a few weeks ago that the system was erratic, not powering on , or powering on only once every few times. Then one day it died.
                    Knowing it was a crappy psu that came with a 30$ case 3-4 years ago when this system was made, i just told him to go with the computer at a local service and let them install a new cheapo psu in the system. He only uses the computer for eBay (collecting stamps and coins) and news.

So here's the 400w rated psu. Supposed to be 400w ... based on transformers it looks more like 250w max.
                    Full of CS capacitors, 560uf 200v 85c on primary, 13009 transistors, ie-33 transformer, i think it's the two transistor job for the 5v sb
                    3.3v, 5v, 12v is 22a , 40a, 18a but i doubt it, the beefiest diode that i can see on the heatsink is a SB3040PT which is a 30A shottky barrier rectifier.

If you check the pictures carefully, you'll see why it died.

Attached Files

Comment

Dead cap on 5VSB output, looks like. Easy fix. Yeah, it may not be a 400W PSU, but it's probably more than enough for that Sempron PC. Only concern is the 5VSB sections - it looks darkened. I don't see a critical cap on there, though. Perhaps it just needs new output caps on 5VSB (although if you replace the output caps on the rest of the PSU, that wouldn't be a bad thing eitehr).

Originally posted by Behemot
                      That was the principle of the design so I don't understant your crap talk.
                      Well, you wondering why cheap PSUs almost always have their 3.3V rail filtering built a little better than the other rails? It's precisely because of that.
                      Last edited by momaka; 11-05-2013, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Bingo. That schottky rectifier on the secondary also looks a bit cooked, may be dead.
                        Honestly, can't be bothered to carry it with me back to my place and fix it, all i have here are screwdrivers.
                        I would have loved to remove the big caps and measure them, for Uranium's thread, but it's just too much hassle.

Comment

I blew one of those PX-400s up in the 1012 el cheapo PSU roundup. It did 250W in spec, but it was pretty inefficient.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Still looks better built than the Deer PSUs I had.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -MĂ­ mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

It's been selling like hot cakes under several names here like ten years ago…well, cheap craps is the most sold one, we have to face it
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

This thing is not that bad. It needs a full recap and some oil in the fan and then I would check that the caps spins fast enough to keep the psu cool.

Comment

I am not really sure…doing like 60 % of rated power (and I won't even guess how much in spec) is not that bad?

Comment

^
                                    As I said, it made it up to 250W with everything in spec.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                      In the long-term, I expect +3,3 V and finaly also +5 V to be exluded as well, possibly replaced with something like +24 V (for higher efficiency). But it won't be easy and probably will brake backward-compatibility.
                                      To be fair though, a new PSU form factor would be no worse than the switch from AT to ATX in the 1990s. Even though ATX supported 12V, 5V, -12V (early revisions ATX only) and -5V like its predecessor, it was a completely different connector to the infamous 2x 6 pin AT connectors (where putting in the mechanically-identical connectors the wrong way would result in releasing the magic smoke from your board). I won't get started on Dell...

If a better PSU design means that an old Pentium II or Socket A won't boot with that PSU, so be it. If you were to shove 24V down a mechanically-compatible ATX connector, regardless of which pin was used (well, obviously not GND), your board would go boom anyway. Adding extra pins to maintain compatibility with old systems just makes things more bulkier and expensive, and also forces PSUs to become more cramped inside (if the same standard form factor, also from the late AT era, is used), since they have to support half a dozen different voltage rails as well as the mains input.

Comment

I don't think it would be that hard to create an "ATX24V" (or "EPS24V") spec, as long as somebody produced compatible motherboards and adapters were available to convert the connectors to SATA and such.

Maybe something like a Molex Mini-Fit Jr. style connector (similar to the current CPU power connectors) would work. It could have five pins in a row - two 24V, two ground, and one for communication (like some sort of 1-wire protocol). All of those connectors would be mechanically and electrically compatible. The power supply would output 24V all of the time, oblivious to whether the computer is actually on. The motherboard would simply instruct devices to power on or off as desired.

I think that the same old form factor would be okay, as having a single-rail supply means no VRMs or anything like that, so there would be more space inside for other parts.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by cheapie; 11-05-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

What I think would be good idea is to have a universal voltage for all ICs and components (CPU, RAM, GPU, chipsets, etc). That way, the PSU could go directly down to that voltage, and there would be no VRMs on motherboards.

Comment

Working...
                                          X