Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1200uf vs. 1500uf

Hi everyone, here's my dillemma:

I have an Abit NF7-S V2.0 motherboard that I'm trying to resurrect after it vented some caps. My experiance with replacing caps is moderate; by far I'm not an expert, but I've done a few boards that are still running until this day.

The motherboard has five 3300uf 6.3v caps right by the processor (Socket A), three of which are bulged and vented, then it has four 1200uf 16v caps in a row by the back panel connectors. I want to replace all of the caps in these areas. I'm gonna order the 3300uf caps, but I do have a bunch of 1500uf 16v Rubycons (NOS)- would these be a suitable replacement for the 1200uf caps, or should I stick with the 1200uf caps and order them along with the 3300uf caps?

Also, are there any other issues with this board (as far as caps are concerned) that I should be aware of? I'm trying to keep this system alive (Athlon XP 3200 with the Barton Core, ASUS AH 4650 AGP8x 1 Gig DDR2 video card, three gigs of Kingston PC 3200 memory, Rosewill Xtreme RX950-D-B 950 watt power supply) - it's served me well over the years, never a burp until this caps issue! Besides, it would be too expensive to upgrade the board, processor, memory, and video card at this time for me.

I've been looking on Ebay for a good Socket A board, but no luck. I used to own an Epox 8RDA6+PRO with the six SATA ports - loved that board! It died one day with no warning. It just never POSTed again. I tried replacing the BIOS chip, but nothing. The lights would come on, it would post an FF code, then go off in a couple of seconds. I replaced everything (power supply, processor, memory, video card) with 'known-goods', but it was still the same. Oh well...

Any and all comments/help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: 1200uf vs. 1500uf

You need to make sure you get the appropriate series to replace the caps. What brand/series are the originals?

You could probably get away with replacing 1200uF caps with 1500uF, although if it was my motherboard, I would be ordering 1200uF caps with the others.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

what brand/series are the originals and replacements?

Comment

The 3300s that vented are all Rubycon MBZ, code T0345. The 1200s are all Rubycon ZL, code T0411. The 1500s that I already have are Rubycon MBZ, code T0343.
        Last edited by Roadkill203; 12-26-2009, 01:03 AM.

Comment

^
          If the replacements are similar in ESR specs, they'll be fine. I use 1500uF 16v MCZ's in place of 1200uF 16v caps all the time, never had an issue.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Roadkill203
            The 3300s that vented are all Rubycon MBZ, code T0345. The 1200s are all Rubycon ZL, code T0411. The 1500s that I already have are Rubycon MBZ, code T0343.
            Are you sure that your PSU is OK and that the computer is running cool? Rubycon caps never fail unless they are overheated or the voltage goes too high.

As for replacment series, use Rubycon MBZ. MCZ would work too but they have a lower endurance lifetime (ie. they may not last as long). You could also use polymer (solid) caps as they have a much better endurance lifetime than electrolytics and the ESR is much lower, although use about half the capacitance for the CPU VRM Caps.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Some of the early NF7-S boards had bad caps, but yours apparently is one of the good ones. I'm surprised those caps failed.

I'd check the Vcore with a multimeter and make sure the board isn't a CPU killer. It might have a more serious problem that blew the caps.

Comment

Perhaps cruddy PSU.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
                  Are you sure that your PSU is OK and that the computer is running cool? Rubycon caps never fail unless they are overheated or the voltage goes too high.
                  The current power supply is brand new, maybe used a total of a week. The computer has a massive amount of fans and the case has pretty decent airflow, so I don't think that the computer was overheated. I upgraded the power supply recently from a Coolmax 700W power supply. It's possible that the Coolmax did the damage to the caps. I've tested everthing else on my other socket A test-motherboard (processor, video card, memory), and everything works fine, so I'm hoping that the caps were the only damage.

Originally posted by c_hegge
                  As for replacment series, use Rubycon MBZ. MCZ would work too but they have a lower endurance lifetime (ie. they may not last as long). You could also use polymer (solid) caps as they have a much better endurance lifetime than electrolytics and the ESR is much lower, although use about half the capacitance for the CPU VRM Caps.
                  I couldn't agree with you more! I'm just wondering if the 1500s would give me any kind of benefit over the 1200s (added protection, more stability, etc.), or if I should just stick with the 1200s because that's what the motherboard was designed for. Maybe I should just leave the 1200s in there and not even touch them at all, and just replace the five 3300s...

Comment

Using the 1500s in place of the 1200s probably wouldn't give you any benefit or do any harm.

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

Okay, just checked and Topcat doesn't list 1200uf 16v caps, so I'm using the 1500uf 16v caps that I have and ordering the 3300uf 6.3v caps from Topcat!

Comment

**UPDATE**

Recapped the board, everything seems to be working well, another success story - thanks Badcaps.Net!

Comment

Working...
                          X