Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot identify specifications of bad capacitors

Hello,

Recently, five capacitors on my desktop's motherboard failed. For the past week or so, the computer had been randomly shutting down. I suspected a heat issue, so I checked the CPU temperature and found that the temperature went up to about 120 degrees Celsius when I stressed the CPU before turning itself off, well above the 65 degree maximum that AMD specifies. I thought reapplying thermal compound on the CPU might help, so I started to take off the CPU heatsink. As I loosened the last screw holding the heatsink to the motherboard, I heard a strange hissing sound. When I got the heatsink off of the CPU, I noticed that there was some earwax-orange colored crusty gunk (I'm not sure what the formal name is) all over the bottom of the heatsink. I looked on the motherboard to see what was under the heatsink at that point and I found five bulging capacitors with more of the crusty gunk on them. I think the heatsink may have been pressing down on the capacitors to prevent them from expanding, and the hissing was them finally expanding when the pressure from the heatsink was removed.

I plan on replacing these failed capacitors myself, but I cannot identify the specifications of them from the markings on the cases. The failed capacitors have the markings "5B 680 4J" and no brand listed. I know little about capacitors, so I googled capacitor markings. Based on what I read, the 680 either means 68 farads (which from my understanding of capacitors seems way too high), or 68 picofarads (which seems way too low). I have no idea what the 5B and 4J mean.

I have uploaded a picture of the failed capacitors. I have removed the orange gunk from them, but you can still see that they are bulging. Please help me identify the voltage, capacitance, and any other important information. Any other help or suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben.
    Attached Files

Re: Cannot identify specifications of bad capacitors

They look like 680 uF 4 Volt capacitors. The orange substance you removed was the electrolytic compound. As far as the operating temperature going above 120degrees C, I think that was a false reading caused by system instability from the bad caps.
    Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

680uf 4v

Comment

what i find kinda disturbing is that you said that the heatsink was pushing down on those caps. before you put it back together, i would look at getting a new heatsink that does not touch the caps before you do more damage. The same thing is going to happen again if you put that heatsink back on again after replacing the caps if it is doing what you said it was.

Comment

can we see the heatsink in a foto?

it's not a damned zalman flower with 120mm fan is it?

Comment

Originally posted by climber109
            I think the heatsink may have been pressing down on the capacitors to prevent them from expanding, and the hissing was them finally expanding when the pressure from the heatsink was removed.
            This also might explain why your CPU temperatures were that high. As the caps started expanding, perhaps they pushed up on the heatsink just enough to detach it from the CPU core. If your CPU heatsink is indeed sitting flush on those caps, definitely listen to kaniki and get a different heatsink (unless of course you get new polymer caps that are lower than the originals).
            The "680" mark on the caps indicates that they are 680uF (micro-farads), while "4j" is likely the voltage code. Not sure what voltage it would indicate, though (I think it varies between manufacturers).
            Last edited by momaka; 02-27-2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

i have been using sanyo sepc 560@4v polys to replace those.tc sells them in small qty in his store.

Comment

I uploaded a picture of the heatsink. It is a generic extruded aluminum block that came with the computer. I also uploaded a picture of the heatsink with the bad capacitors underneath. After looking at the motherboard again, only one capacitor is actually flush with the heatsink, and I think that is only because it is bulging.

I cannot seem to find any replacements that are short enough to fit under the heatsink. The current bad capacitors are 8mm high, and the shortest replacements I can find are 12mm, which would not fit. I think I will just fold the leads and mount the new ones on their sides.

I am looking at these as replacements. Would they be compatible?

kc8adu, are you sure the Sanyo capacitors you mentioned would be compatible?
                Attached Files

Comment

I am looking at these as replacements. Would they be compatible?
                  Those are 8mm diameter x 12mm height. 12mm is too tall.

What is the diameter of the bad caps? From your photo, they look a little small to be 8mm diameter. In addition to the Sanyo mentioned earlier, I've included two candidates for replacement in both 8mm and 6.3mm diameter.

Chemicon PSE 6.3mm diameter x 8mm height

Chemicon PSC 8mm diameter x 8mm height

Decreasing the capacitance should be okay as polymer capacitors have lower ESR and higher ripple than electrolytic caps. However, I've never done a polymer cap mod myself, so I will let others speak to that.
                  Last edited by yyonline; 03-01-2010, 01:27 AM.

Comment

that design is a bad joke, the heatsink will cook the caps even if they dont touch!

Comment

what more would you expect from emachines/gateway?
                      btw i just recapped one of those with the same failure.
                      sanyo sepc 560@4 8x8mm.

Comment

i'd actually be tempted to mount them on the other side of the board & cut a section from the metal behind the board!

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                          that design is a bad joke, the heatsink will cook the caps even if they dont touch!
                          I was thinking the same thing. even if they dont touch, there is no airflow to help cool it down uner there and the heat generated by the processor would just cook the cap being so close. I cant believe that they actually even made and used a board like that.

Originally posted by stj
                          i'd actually be tempted to mount them on the other side of the board & cut a section from the metal behind the board!
                          might be a better choice then putting them back where they were.. the only other choice i can think of is to get a new heatsink that barely covers the processor on that side, but good luck with that..

Comment

a different sink or a mod with the trusty jigsaw wont work, they are too close to the damned mounting post.

Comment

The joke is they probably designed it like that intentionally.

Comment

The heatsink could be on wrong. Check the other side to see if the notch is the same size. It could be longer and deeper giving you more clearance and not touch the caps.

Comment

kc8adu, are you sure the Sanyo capacitors you mentioned would be compatible?
                                  What about the 4 green-sleeved capacitors at the bottom of the photo on the left? Are they Sanyo WX series, and if so, shouldn't they be replaced with Sanyo WG series?

Comment

I know this is an ancient thread, but I am getting ready to replace the same caps (8mm tall, 680uF, 4V) on what appears to be the same motherboard.

Would the above recommended caps still be recommended as the best replacements?

Originally posted by larrymoencurly View Post
                                    What about the 4 green-sleeved capacitors at the bottom of the photo on the left? Are they Sanyo WX series, and if so, shouldn't they be replaced with Sanyo WG series?
                                    The 4 green-sleeved capacitors are indeed Sanyo WX caps. They don't appear to bulging, but are they recommended to replace?

I also have one Teapo SEK 470uF 10V cap that's bulging on here, but 13 of them that visibly look good.
                                    Last edited by GizmoMonkeyTech; 10-11-2012, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoMonkeyTech View Post
                                      Would the above recommended caps still be recommended as the best replacements?
                                      They should be fine.
                                      But why pay a $1 for those when you can get these for half of that?
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=79

The 4 green-sleeved capacitors are indeed Sanyo WX caps. They don't appear to bulging, but are they recommended to replace?
                                      Sanyo makes very reliable caps. I would say leave them.

I also have one Teapo SEK 470uF 10V cap that's bulging on here, but 13 of them that visibly look good.
                                      It's best to replace all of them, then. Or at the very least, the ones that may have been next to hot components.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        They should be fine.
                                        But why pay a $1 for those when you can get these for half of that?
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=79

Sanyo makes very reliable caps. I would say leave them.

It's best to replace all of them, then. Or at the very least, the ones that may have been next to hot components.
                                        Thanks for the info. I will be purchasing from badcaps

Comment

Working...
                                        X