LG 50PG100R 50" Plasma TV no picture but sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 50PG100R 50" Plasma TV no picture but sound

First off, thanks for all help or advice you can provide me.

So, I'm having a problem with my LG- TV, to be exact a 50PG100R.
    One day, while watching TV, the display just turned black.
    Sound still works fine and power led does what it's supposed to do (so the TV isn't just turning off).
    Display lights up a little bit, like a the backlight turned on (can't show with a photo, because camera somehow isn't picking the light up) and the pixels look like they are lit up a tiny bit.
    After around two seconds, the display changes to a darker color, but is still lit up (probably the Mainboard dimming the display)

What I already did:
    -Checked for faulty capacitors: all of them seem to be fine.
    -Checked all fuses I could find (including SMD ones): no blown ones.
    -Checked all connectors for tight fit: no change after doing so.
    -Checked voltages going to Mainboard:
    16,5V and 12V are both 0V in standby and 16,5V respectively 12V when turned on.
    5V is always 5V
    RL_ON (guess this is ReLay ON) and VS_ON are both 0V in standby and 3,3V when turned on.
    -Jumpered Ext_Auto_Gen on the control board, but nothing (as far as I understood, jumpering Ext_Auto_Gen should give test patterns on the display)

quite boring until now, isn't is? But now comes the interesting part:
    -Va measures 69V and Vs measures 201V (as far as I understood the panel lable, Va should be 65V and Vs 193V
    -Vzb measures 105V to 112V (should be 100V)
    --Vy measures (interestingly prositive) 167V to 195V (measured over resistor labled -Vy, prositive probe connected to lead labled (+), negative probe connected to the lead labled (-)) (should be -195V)
    -Vsc measures 122V to 138V (measured like -Vy) (should be 135V)
    -+15V going to X-Sustain measured 15V
    (105V to 112V (etc) means that the voltage is constantly changing, although this could also be some sort of switching)

When disconnecting either the Y-Buffers or the X-Sustain from the Y-Sustain, or the Y-Sustain completely,
    -Va normalizes to 66V
    -Vs normalizes to 193V
    --Vy, Vsc and +15V still measure the same values as before

So, I guess the Y-Sustain board is defective in some way (although I could be completely wrong with that), but buying a new one isn't really an option because the cheapest one would cost around 55€, without a guarantee that the board actually works.
    So I'd like to try to fix the board myself, but don't have any idea where to start, or if it's actually the Y-Sustain thats faulty.

Anyway, any advice and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

PS:If additional or more detailed pictures are needed, I can take them.
    PPS:I don't know much about plasma TVs, so I might have named some board wrong, so I labled them on a picture for better understanding.
    PPPS:I'm new in this forum, so if I did something wrong, please tell me and I'll try to do better next time.
    Attached Files

Re: LG 50PG100R 50" Plasma TV no picture but sound

Have you tried connecting one buffer board at a time. I had this symptom on a 60" version and believe it or not even though the panel would prime it had a shorted top buffer board
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

right, forgot to include this:
      when connecting either the top or the bottom Y-Buffer board, the top (respectively bottom) half of the screen stays completely black while the other half stays lit up a little.
      I don't know if its worth mentioning, but when turning on the TV, only one of the four LEDs on the control board turns on (might be some sort of error code?).
      Attached Files

Comment

The led's indicate panel temperature, having no led's could indicate a problem, having one lit means the board is working. Usually there is a small temp sensor ic on the back of the board coupled to the panel with a rubber pad in that location. See if this training manual is of any help.
        Page 51: -VY TP R201 "This Voltage will read Positive"
        Attached Files
        Last edited by R_J; 02-04-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Well, definitely a lot of stuff to measure described in the PDF.
          Until now i measured all test points in diode mode described on pages 63 - 86, but everything is like in the tables on those sides, except for the data pin on the upper Y-Buffer board, which should measure .78V in diode mode, but my DMM measures it as open.
          I also measured some of the test points on the Control board, but they all seem to be fine.
          Sadly, I don't own a oscilloscope, so i cannot test for the waveforms described.

I read through my original post again, and thought i could describe the display in greater detail.
          So heres exactly what happens after turning the TV on (as far as i can tell) :
          -Relay clicks
          -Display turns on (gets brighter)
          -A really weak, but colored noise fills the display (just for a tiny fraction of a second)
          -Display changes to bright gray
          -After ~2 seconds, the display changes to a darker gray (and stays like this)
          -some of the pixels flash up brightly (all over the display)
          -burn-in (i think it's called like that) on the display is weakly visible

Comment

I see you have the auto-gen test points jumpered, in some cases you need to unplug the lvds cable (P121) from the control board to get the patterns
            Usually if you have the screen lighting up at all you should see either the test patterns (may be weak) or without the auto-gen, you should see signs of the menu (if pressed), without a scope to check if there is data from the control board getting to the Ysus it is kind of a guess as to where the problem is.
            Last edited by R_J; 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I actually did disconnect the LVDS Cable when testing with the auto-gen jumpered. I can't remember the image being different after doing so, but i can test again (i'm not totally certain it didn't change). When connecting the jumper while the TV is on, the display gets a little brighter for a short moment, but then changes back to dark- gray.
              (Just out of curiousity, what frequency and voltage ranges could be expected for the data signals?)

The training manual mentioned test points (& expected voltages during run) that are right next to the connector coming from the Control board (see page 63 & 64). I obviously can't measure data with a DMM, but knowing the other voltages are all right might be worth something (?).
              Since the manual shows it in (kind of) a strange way, i assume the pin numbers refer to the silkscreened numbers right next to the testpoints and that i have to measure them from GND (?).

Comment

I think it refers to the numbers marked on the board 1-10 & 11-19. If I remember correctly you jumper the auto-gen then turn on the tv.
                Last edited by R_J; 02-07-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I finally found some time to measure the testpoints, and while doing so, i thought i might aswell measure the connector connecting Y-Sus and X-Sus.
                  So, here are all measurements, taken between Chassis to Pin (/Test point):

Control board to Y-Sus (flat flex):
                  Pin 1: 0.61V (3.2V)
                  Pin 2: 2.93V (0.76V)
                  Pin 3: 1.43V (0V)
                  Pin 4: 0V (3V)
                  Pin 5: 0V (0.6V)
                  Pin 6: 2.4V - 2.6V (0V)
                  Pin 7: 0V (2V)
                  Pin 8: 0.11V (1.2V)
                  Pin 9: 0.15V (2V)
                  Pin 10: 0.3V (0.26V)
                  Pin 11: 0V (0.2V)
                  Pin 12: 0V (0.2V)
                  Pin 13: 0V (0.16V)
                  Pin 14: 0V (0V)
                  Pin 15: 0.5V - 1.2V (0V)
                  Pin 16: 3.11V (1.9V)
                  Pin 17: 0V (1.4V)
                  Pin 18: 0.77V (2.9V)
                  Pin 19: 3.22V (0.6V)
                  16V directly at connector: 15.92V (16V)
                  5V directly at connector: 4.96V (5V)

Y-Sus to X-Sus:
                  Pin 1&2 :66.6V (65V)
                  Pin 3&4 :66.3V - 80V (62.4V)
                  Pin 5&6 :64.5V - 69V (62.3V)
                  Pin 7&8 :60V - 65V (63.3V)
                  Pin 9&10 :5V (GND, so 0V?)
                  Pin 11&12:20.4V (15.9V)

(2.4V - 2.6V (etc) means that the voltage is constantly changing, although this could be some sort of switching)

BTW: I actually jumpered the auto-gen in both ways, with the TV turned on and with it turned off, to see if it makes any difference.
                  Attached Files

Comment

So, does that mean that the Control board is damaged? Or is there a chance that a defective Y-Sus board could cause those issues?

Comment

Have you resolved the issue? I have the same problem with LG 50PZ570 tv...

Comment

Working...
                      X