gigabyte ga-6etxdr bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gigabyte ga-6etxdr bad caps

they used rubycon in the critical areas but you still cant cheap out.
    the g-luxon and gsc caps near the atx and pci were nearly open.
    board acted possesed till i changed them.lots of crap showing up on the scope.
    works fine now.
    and the price was right free.
    btw these are not bulged or leaking.
    esr of several OHMS.should be in the milliohms.

I just pulled 18 bad caps from a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE Athlon board yesturday that were marked GSC brand. They did EXACTLY what you just described, only a few (3300uF caps) actually swollen. The rest were bad, but looked OK physically. They used some 680uF, and I didn't have any, so I substituted 1000uF in their place. The board works perfectly now.

My sencore LC102 showed most of them reading 400pf and higher, and a couple were open load.

I guess GSC is another to add to the bad caps brand list...

BTW, I've been abusing the hell out of some of the replacements Jackcon sent to me, and under continuous mildly overloaded conditions, they have not failed. (mildly overloaded is a few 2200uF 6.3v and 1500uF 6.3v caps installed as filter caps in a PC power supply being fed 18v) on the scope, the output is holding a nice clean signal. they've been running like that for about a week now... if they hold a couple months, maybe i'll have some faith in them...
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

the gsc are 330@25v and are black with copper print.
      the g-luxon are dark green/gold 1200@6.3v
      i know there are more of these coming my way.
      the other 6 boxes in the facility are scheduled for mobo swaps next month.
      guess who gets the pulls i told them i can recap them but they want to upgrade anyway.
      btw this and the other 6 have 2x 1ghz p3 on them!1 gb ecc too.wont hear me bitching.

Comment

Some of the caps removed from Gigabyte boards were marked GSC... Although, I got another Gigabyte today which had some 330uF 25v caps marked Choyo... HEH, if that's not a cheesy name.... All the same, they were bloated and bad...
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

i wonder why they used 25v caps on +3.3 and+5?
          i used 1200@10 in place of the 25v ones.
          maybe they got em cheap?

Comment

best test would be a high ripple high temp environment.
            stick em in a smps and run it hot.

[quote5f86bbf67=\"Topcat\"]I just pulled 18 bad caps from a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE Athlon board yesturday that were marked GSC brand. They did EXACTLY what you just described, only a few (3300uF caps) actually swollen. The rest were bad, but looked OK physically. They used some 680uF, and I didn't have any, so I substituted 1000uF in their place. The board works perfectly now.

My sencore LC102 showed most of them reading 400pf and higher, and a couple were open load.

I guess GSC is another to add to the bad caps brand list...

BTW, I've been abusing the hell out of some of the replacements Jackcon sent to me, and under continuous mildly overloaded conditions, they have not failed. (mildly overloaded is a few 2200uF 6.3v and 1500uF 6.3v caps installed as filter caps in a PC power supply being fed 18v) on the scope, the output is holding a nice clean signal. they've been running like that for about a week now... if they hold a couple months, maybe i'll have some faith in them...[/quote5f86bbf67]

Comment

Working...
            X