Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hakko 470 desoldering station - worth fixing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hakko 470 desoldering station - worth fixing?

I rescued a Hakko 470-2 desoldering station out of the garbage, took it apart and impressed with the quality. Works but needs a new heating element for its 802 desoldering gun.
    Contacted Hakko for parts and they pretty much said "the 470 discontinued in 1999, you should buy a new station like the 474" and I felt the shame of being a dumpster diver

The heater is A1008 (470 manual) or A1029 (470B manual) and I started looking for one but no luck so far.

Found this doc showing you can use parts from the (newer) 809 gun- many parts are unchanged over the years.
    I'd have to buy new (809) heating element $56, sleeve $3, nut $5, packing $2, filter pipe $10. That adds up to $76+shipping.

Wondering if this is worth fixing up? Hakko seems to charge a lot for parts. Lots of used 470 bases on eBay, but they're all missing guns...

Re: Hakko 470 desoldering station - worth fixing?

If it works, 100$ is pretty good for a name brand desolder station. You might also see if there is a Chinese clone, you might be able to pick up a whole gun cheap.

Comment

Hakko it don't Chinese it up
      Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

I decided to stay Hakko and ordered the parts to convert the wand from old 802 to newer 809, and put in the new (809) heating element. I think $100 spent, although an o-ring kit is $13 some Hakko parts are expensive.
        It's built like a tank, huge motor dual pump, 3 filter stages this thing is HD. But temp control has no feedback, it's open-loop.

I can't stand cheap tools like soldering stations malfunctioning.
        I've used Pace desoldering tools and dislike them. They constantly plug and have mushy suction, soon the PCB is ruined.

For bargain hunters, it might be worthwhile to get used 470-2 base on eBay $75-$200 and hook up a chinese wand?

Comment

does anyone have a 474 desoldering station?

Comment

I also have a hakko 470 station, and now I broke the heating element. Can't find a replacement for it, and would hate to lose this station as it's one of the best.

I can find the same parts to convert de 802 to a 809.

@redwire, how is it working with this conversion, as my hakko reseller says this is not ok?

Comment

patzik, using a newer A1313 heating element works fine. But you also have put a new heating element cover and filter pipe kit B2073 or else it leaks. So it costs a bit more. The newer heater is bigger and has more heat for factory duty.

Check the Hakko 802 -> 809 wand upgrade instructions.

Local shop here Electronic Connections had a (new old stock) discontinued A1029 heating element in stock. PM me if you want to try this, I could pick it up and mail it to you.

Comment

Working...
              X