Acer AL2416 AL2416W 24" 1920x1280 LCD Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2416 AL2416W 24" 1920x1280 LCD Monitor

Thought I would give an update, on March 16th I ordered 2x P5504EDG and 2x P2804BDG from a seller on ebay (Sisitronics).
    They arrived today, I replaced the 2 fets on the puffed cap side first, leaving the original ones on the upper portion of the board,
    and IT WORKS!! here's a pic, I'm hanging onto the other 2 replacements I ordered just incase.

My worklog.

1)Replaced 10x stock caps with 10x Low-ESR Caps.
    2)Replaced All 3 fuses.
    3)Replaced the 2 fets on the bottom half of the pcb(area with commonly burst caps)
    4)Functionality!

(Repaired AL24216 on the left, Samsung 245bw on the right)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tgeml; 03-28-2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tgeml View Post
      Thought I would give an update, on March 16th I ordered 2x P5504EDG and 2x P2804BDG from a seller on ebay (Sisitronics).
      They arrived today, I replaced the 2 fets on the puffed cap side first, leaving the original ones on the upper portion of the board,
      and IT WORKS!! here's a pic, I'm hanging onto the other 2 replacements I ordered just incase.

My worklog.

1)Replaced 10x stock caps with 10x Low-ESR Caps.
      2)Replaced All 3 fuses.
      3)Replaced the 2 fets on the bottom half of the pcb(area with commonly burst caps)
      4)Functionality!

That's disgraceful!!! A clean desk???

Congratulations on your success.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I'm OCD about my desk, CLEAN is goooooooood Thanks to this post for all the help, would have been lost without you guys.

Comment

Good job! Seems like the caps and mosfets are a common problem on those TDK inverters.

Comment

I ordered exactly the same from same seller on 26th March! Just waiting for them to arrive now, by your experience I'm probably looking around next Thursday to arrive.

Where did you source the fuses, may I ask? I have one blown due to the shorted mosfets that I need to replace.

Interesting you also have a Samsung 245bw - I'm suffering from a case of flickering backlight (all caps swapped on psu, even on inverter board, none of them tested faulty anyway for what its worth), and still have the flicker which is best described as around 60Hz - you have to stare at one point to kinda really see it), but it's there and I'm sure it is inducing eye strain/headaches.

Does your acer have the DVI connector? mine only has the VGA and the display is a bit too fuzzy for me to use - any ideas if there are any driver boards with DVI going cheap?

Regards,

Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by kehall View Post
              Where did you source the fuses, may I ask? I have one blown due to the shorted mosfets that I need to replace.
              My first choicewas Farnell over there in the UK. But the website was down. It's marked "W" correct? That's a 4.0 amp fast acting fuse.
              You can get 1 or more here in the UK. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=6925031

For those interested I finally found datasheet with the letter code markings.
              RATING CURRENT (A)
              F = 0.50
              K = 0.80
              L = 1.00
              M = 1.25
              P = 1.50
              S = 2.00
              T = 2.50
              3 = 3.00
              W = 4.00
              Y = 5.00
              Z = 7.00

Comment

all caps swapped on psu,
                Did you change the biggest filter cap (usually lying on the side) too?
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I ordered exactly the same from same seller on 26th March! Just waiting for them to arrive now, by your experience I'm probably looking around next Thursday to arrive.

Interesting you also have a Samsung 245bw - I'm suffering from a case of flickering backlight (all caps swapped on psu, even on inverter board, none of them tested faulty anyway for what its worth), and still have the flicker which is best described as around 60Hz - you have to stare at one point to kinda really see it), but it's there and I'm sure it is inducing eye strain/headaches.

Does your acer have the DVI connector? mine only has the VGA and the display is a bit too fuzzy for me to use - any ideas if there are any driver boards with DVI going cheap?

Regards,

Keith.
                  Keith, your scaring me! I love my 245bw, so far no problems(I do hear a high pitch whine from it periodically, may crack it open and check for bad caps). My AL2416w is DVI, its definately blurry compared to the sharpness of the samsung, even with DVI.

I got these Fuses, they worked well, even though they are slightly less tall, they fit the pcb perfect. The seller also shipped them in 2 days, was SUPER fast in the united states.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEBDIX:IT

Comment

The early revision monitors with Samsung PVA LTM240M1-L01 on VGA look a lot better than the later revision AU Optronic TN Film panels M240UW01 M240UW04. I suspect you won't be happy with the AUO displays even with the slight improvement from switching to DVI.
                    sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
                      My first choicewas Farnell over there in the UK. But the website was down. It's marked "W" correct? That's a 4.0 amp fast acting fuse.
                      Thanks... I know someone who has a couple of 4A very fast blow in a 1206 package left over from another job but its rated at 63V not 24V, not 100% sure if it would be suitable.

Interestingly it is marked with an 'S' which according to your table is 2A but it is definitely a 4A rated fuse ??? see http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/mc1...tt=4a+smd+fuse

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                        Did you change the biggest filter cap (usually lying on the side) too?
                        yep, all of them.

Comment

Keith, your scaring me! I love my 245bw, so far no problems(I do hear a high pitch whine from it periodically, may crack it open and check for bad caps). My AL2416w is DVI, its definately blurry compared to the sharpness of the samsung, even with DVI.

I got these Fuses, they worked well, even though they are slightly less tall, they fit the pcb perfect. The seller also shipped them in 2 days, was SUPER fast in the united states.
                          thanks for the link... I didn't find any bad ones in the 245 although there is another thread on here talking about it, burnt sacrificial resistors and things but my flickering must be something else, or they all do it and only I notice it!

Comment

Back on topic though, this is the 3rd Acer 2416w i'm repairing, the other two were just cap swaps, but this one, after it first shut down, the user stupidly kept trying to turn it back on until it stayed on (even hitting it int he process), then until you guessed, big pop, and now a less simple repair!

Comment

Back on topic though, this is the 3rd Acer 2416w i'm repairing, the other two were just cap swaps, but this one, after it first shut down, the user stupidly kept trying to turn it back on until it stayed on (even hitting it int he process), then until you guessed, big pop, and now a less simple repair!
                              Its likely your looking at replacing some fets now, I'd inspect the inverter for visual damage to the 3 smd fuses and 4 fets.

Comment

I'm about to order parts for the AL2416W, That I bought broken for $10. I have the 100uf 35v caps bulging out the bottom and one F1 fuse bad. I'm changing all the caps, fets, and the one fuse on the inverter board. My main question is that the Fuse is definately mark with a M not a W as Bonney said in the beginning of this thread. It seems somewhere people have been using the 4a W fuse not a 1.25A M.
                                Does this matter?

Comment

Originally posted by fa28 View Post
                                  I'm about to order parts for the AL2416W, That I bought broken for $10. I have the 100uf 35v caps bulging out the bottom and one F1 fuse bad. I'm changing all the caps, fets, and the one fuse on the inverter board. My main question is that the Fuse is definately mark with a M not a W as Bonney said in the beginning of this thread. It seems somewhere people have been using the 4a W fuse not a 1.25A M.
                                  Does this matter?
                                  Has anyone measured the current flow to determine suitability?

Comment

Has anyone measured the current flow to determine suitability?
                                    Measuring the current is easy once the fuse burns out. Hook up the amp meter across the fuse.
                                    sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
                                      Measuring the current is easy once the fuse burns out. Hook up the amp meter across the fuse.
                                      Just a sugestion, it would be a good idea to make sure the problem that caused the fuse to blow is fixed.
                                      The ammeters I have used are fused at 10A, which could cause some serious damage.
                                      I really have no idea what the correct fuse rating would be for this one, but I just recently finished a Gateway 24” and the single inverter fuse was rated at 5A
                                      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
                                        Nice thought but not quite - I need a working monitor to find out what the correct operating current is, and although I've repaired 2 of these already which were just cap replacements, they have now gone, and the only one left (that I get to keep for my troubles!) is waiting for replacement FETs on one side so I can't remove the good side fuse to test as it doesn't stay on long enough for a reading, and doing that where a short caused the blow is a bad idea.

Does anyone have a monitor they've just fixed and would be prepared to lift the fuse and measure the current so we know for sure rather than all this guesswork?

I agree with other people saying it does indeed look like an M (straight side strokes) rather than a W (angled side strokes).

It doesn't help that Bourn's use different codes to other people... i.e. another standard uses J for 1.25A fast blow (Bourn's M), and S for 4A (W with Bourn's - their 'S' is 2A!).

As a blind man's test I've bought some J's so when the FETs arrive from China (still waiting on them) I guess we'll see if 1.25A is enough to cover operations, if so, I'd suggest everyone with 4A ones replace with 1.25A to ensure continued safe failure condition.

Regards,

Keith

Comment

Whatever you do don't make the same mistake I made. It's been mentioned here in the forum not to jump a fuse which is obviously something don't want to do.
                                          I probably should have used PlainBills light bulb trick for testing but I didn't,for testing I substituted a 4a ATC type fuse for the 4a fast blow fuse that was on the board, the ATC did not open up fast enough and it created a lot more work for me. In fact the fuse never failed it just blew the top off of a MOSFET, and did some circuit board damage.
                                          There is a reason they use a fast blow fuse
                                          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Working...
                                          X