• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2416 AL2416W 24" 1920x1280 LCD Monitor

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
    If you mean 100uF 35V, Panasonic FC is in stock at digikey

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...0294-ND/266303
    Thanks.

i am replacing those caps and the caps in the power supply. If that doesnt get her up an running I will be back with good photos.

Comment

This guy does a repair service for the inverter board.Highly reccommened.

http://www.bammbammfran.com/servlet/...al2416W/Detail
      Attached Files
      Last edited by folinsbee; 05-17-2012, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Reducing the number of caps and holding heatsinks on with hot melt glue?
        That looks anything but professional :O

Comment

I agree with Scenic. If the manufacturer thought that they could get away with a reduced number of caps to save money, then they would have done it. Right?

Comment

Hi all. Wow what a posting with these invertor boards...
            Here's my problem (I only came across this board - AFTER - where i am at now...

Given the monitor "dark on the top left corner/side".
            I first decided to check connections all over checking for bad caps etc.

When checking the resistance on the transformers invertor board i received a few good judder tingles!! and decided not test anymore with the power on

I replaced all the caps on the driver board and got no picture. Usual Green power on, then to Orange, but no display.

Replaced the caps on the invertor board and replaced the FETS with P550's and P280's (originals), Found fuse F2 gone (so have jumpered it with thin wire). F1 just gives a small 'beep' on the DMM speaker when set on continuity.
            Found the 4 rights side caps gone.

When put back together, the screen fires up showing the XP desktop but flickers quickly and i hear a ticking/clicking (obviously in sync with the flicker), but i still have the dark top left corner/side.

I don't mind getting a new invertor board off Ebay $40, if i have damaged the existing one. But i'm not sure if i have damaged something else, maybe when i received the jolts?

I know jumping F2 is bad but if the screen worked ok, i would have replaced it of course.

Thanks.

Comment

All ok:
              Had a thought that F1 going on/off might have been related to the flickering on/off and not giving the tubes time to power up...

Linked (I know, i know), F1 and all worked ok.

Will be keeping this forum in my Favs for sure...

Comment

hi

first post from me.

I have two of these acers.. both have the same issue,
                not the going dark after startup , bot both of them are darker on the left side and a peeping sound is coming out of both monitors.

I started looking into them and both have bad caps so I replaced those

im not at all handy of knowledgable about electronics but I do own a soldering iron and a multimeter (allthough I have no clue how it works)

i tried to desolder one of the fets but it broke off :/ how do you actually do this ?? the seem glued to the invertor board ..

also I replaced some caps but they had no effect on the working of the monitor

maybe it was one of the fuses you are talking about.. but I dont know how to test ( or replace ) them.. any tips here?

also I read something about bypassing the fuses with soldering wire? how do you do that?

anyway tips welcome on how to proceed..

thanks already

kr

Comment

Hello,

I just wanted to thank everyone for posting their stories.

I saw smoke coming from the top left of my AL2416 a couple of days ago. The picture was fine for a few minutes, then the left side became dark and a buzzing noise could be heard.

After getting to the inverter board, I found
                  • One capacitor with bulged bottom
                  • All the neighbourg capacitors had their color changed to brownish
                  • At least one shorted FET (possibly another one as well)
                  • Single Blown fuse (same side as the shorted FET, close to the power connector)

I replaced all 10 capacitors and ordered the FETs & fuse. It wasn't clear if fuses needed to be 4A or 1.25A. Since many reported that 1.25A were working for them, and wanting to be on the safe side, this is what I will be trying.

After further reading, though, I found that these boards are now down to about $29 from Hong Kong on eBay. If changing all these parts don't work, I'll probably reverse the board (as suggested in a post) to see if I can see the left side light up ad possibly order a full replacement.

I'll try to post my findings when the repair is completed.

Comment

Finally done reading through the whole thread. I first wanna say thank you for the generosity of positing all your replies and suggestions to everyone here who has contributed.

So here is where I am on this pursuit of repair.

I have replaced the caps and the 4 FETs on this inverter. I then saw that there are measurements for the transformfers. I am only getting a reading on pin 1 and pin 5 on all the transformers of .520-.529 ohms with the meter set at 2K.

If this is not right, could all the transformers be bad?

If so, I do not know what or where to get the replacement part. Any suggestions?

KD5ZMG
                    aka Mark C

Comment

Originally posted by kd5zmg View Post
                      I am only getting a reading on pin 1 and pin 5 on all the transformers of .520-.529 ohms with the meter set at 2K.
                      What is problem with the lcd?
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So here is where I am on this pursuit of repair.

I have replaced the caps and the 4 FETs on this inverter. I then saw that there are measurements for the transformfers. I am only getting a reading on pin 1 and pin 5 on all the transformers of .520-.529 ohms with the meter set at 2K.

If this is not right, could all the transformers be bad?
                        The short answer is no. It only takes 1 inverter transformer to be bad for the entire feedback circuit to shut it down. I have never heard of a repair in which all (8 to 10) inverter transformers were bad. I suppose it would be possible with some sort of EMP.

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                        What is problem with the lcd?
                        Yes, as retiredcaps refers to; it's impossible to diagnose the problem without more information.

1. Are you saying you put it back together and it didn't light up the backlights?

2. Can you get us a picture of the inverter board using the "manage attachments" feature?

3. If I remember correctly, there's also 3 white SMD fuses on that inverter board marked "M". Have you checked those?

Just need more information in order to move forward. Thanks. ~L-J-7~

Comment

Sorry, I assumed.

I get the same black LCD image with green power LED on. Crazy thing is when I remove LCD from the desk and move it to my worktable and test again, Acer shows up and then a few seconds later I get the No Input Signal message. I wonder if the caps on the Main Board are bad. I was thinking about replacing them last week.

So, the funny thing is that I replaced the Caps first and the display worked for about 8 hours with the MAC mini turning off the display every 15 min. I then replaced all 4 FETs with FDD4685 and FDD8451 respectively and the display only stayed on for 2.5 hours.

I am not convinced it's the inverter at this time. As when the screen goes black, I see a faint light in the background and with a flashlight, I see no image. This leads me to believe that it could be the main board.

Please let me know what other information you need so that I may provide it to you.

KD5ZMG
                          aka Mark C

Comment

You should be able to look at the back side of the LCD panel to see if the backlights are on or not. Lets see the pictures of what you have, by the way, you did use the Low ESR type caps?
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=AL2416
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I do not have Low ESR Caps, but I will be putting this on as soon as I get them:

Mouser Part #: 539-SK35V100
                              Manufacturer Part #: SK101M035ST
                              Manufacturer: Cornell Dubilier
                              Description: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 35V 100uF LOW ESR

I hope this is ok to get as I can have it by tomorrow with only ground shipping. I am not sure that this is the issue, but here are the current caps I have installed:

Mouser Part #: 667-EEU-HD1V101B
                              Manufacturer Part #: EEU-HD1V101B
                              Manufacturer: Panasonic Electronic Components
                              Description: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 100uF 35volts 6.3x11.2 LS 5mm

If the Panasonic Caps are not good, then the LOW ESR Cornell Dubilier should, right?

KD5ZMG
                              aka Mark C

Comment

We want to eliminate the possibility by using the correct parts first, then go from there.
                                Never stop learning

Comment

budm,

I agree. Funny thing is the Parts Engineer said he didn't think this would solve it, but I am going to just go for it and replace the Panasonic Caps. Now, would you know what the replacement transformer part number would be?

KD5ZMG
                                  aka Mark C

Comment

I do not know the P/N of the transformer. Can you read the numbers as printed on it so we can verify the resistance readings?
                                    Never stop learning

Comment

I am only getting a reading on pin 1 and pin 5 on all the transformers of .520-.529 ohms with the meter set at 2K.

Number on the Transformers is 12-T03 A 7VX, and I can't find T102 service manual. Is it ok to ask for the schematics for the AL2416W?

KD5ZMG
                                      aka Mark C

Comment

You can ask away- doesnt mean anyone has it - a bit like the pictures we have been asking for.

Also answering all questions when asked would help.
                                        Last edited by selldoor; 01-31-2013, 05:07 AM.
                                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

So, the funny thing is that I replaced the Caps first and the display worked for about 8 hours with the MAC mini turning off the display every 15 min. I then replaced all 4 FETs with FDD4685 and FDD8451 respectively and the display only stayed on for 2.5 hours.
                                          That was very valuable information there. I think budm is onto the problem. I checked the caps you used and they are not low esr. You HAVE to use low esr caps in these units. That would explain why it worked, then shut down every 15 minutes. And after you replaced the 4 FETS. 2 1/2 hours.
                                          The inferior caps possibly took out at least 1 of the FETS, and possibly a fuse is blown.

This is the way I would proceed with this repair....

1. Replace those caps with the high esr caps you have on order.
                                          2. Now move on to testing the "M" smd fuses (should be 3 white ones)
                                          3. Also test the (2) FDD4685 and the (2) FDD8451

Until that section is solid, there's no chance that it will work.

And yes, we REALLY could use those pictures of the inverter board.

Good luck! ~L-J-7~

Comment

Working...
                                          X