Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

I am completely new to the word of capacitors but recently my 2 year old Samsung SyncMaster 226BW [S] monitor began flickering during computer POST and go black. Sometimes I could turn the monitor off and on or switch from digital to analog and back to digital and normal picture would display but as days went by the monitor would flicker and go black, eventually the monitor would not even flicker but just show up black and the power button solid blue. Doing a google search of my symptoms led me to several helpful spots including this forum. I pried open the monitor and noticed several puffy capacitors, specifically C110, C111, and C112 as shown in the photograph.

I want to try replacing the capacitors but want to make sure I do it right the first time. I've never soldered before so I need the tools for the job as well as the capacitors. I live internationally from any of the electronic stores and want to make sure I order all the correct parts in one order to get the job done. Any links would be appreciated.

Here is a list of all the capacitors I could find on the PCB, all made by CapXon

C105 150uF 450v GL 105 °C C640 VENT 20mm D x 42mm H
    C107 47uF 50v GL 105 °C C640 VENT 5mm D x 10mm H
    C110 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C646 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H
    C111 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C646 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H
    C112 330uF 25v GL 105 °C C638 VENT 10mm D x 15mm H
    C301 680uF 25v GL 105 °C C650 VENT 10mm D x 17mm H
    C302 680uF 25v GL 105 °C C650 VENT 10mm D x 17mm H

C110, C111, and C112 appear bad but should I go ahead and replace any others? I was considering replacing all of the except the big fatty C105.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

Here's what I would replace. I'm using Panasonic part numbers. Any low ESR caps from the other manufacturers on the 'Good caps list' would also work.

C107 47uF 50v GL 105 °C C640 VENT 5mm D x 10mm H EEU-FC1H470
    C110 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C646 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H EEU-FM1E821L *
    C111 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C646 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H EEU-FM1E821L *
    C112 330uF 25v GL 105 °C C638 VENT 10mm D x 15mm H EEU-FM1E331
    C301 680uF 25v GL 105 °C C650 VENT 10mm D x 17mm H EEU-FM1E681
    C302 680uF 25v GL 105 °C C650 VENT 10mm D x 17mm H EEU-FM1E681

* Check the height on these. You might have to use EEU-FC1E821S instead

This cap has a low failure rate, but if I ignore it Toasty will get on my case.
    C105 150uF 450v GL 105 °C C640 VENT 20mm D x 42mm H EET-ED2W151BA

As far as a soldering iron and solder, I don't have any specific brands. My favorite iron has been out of production for several decades. Something in the 30 - 40 watt range would be good for this job. For solder, I use Kester brand low melt eutectic (63/37)

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
      This cap has a low failure rate, but if I ignore it Toasty will get on my case.

PlainBill
      Been there ....
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
        Been there ....
        Yeah. The only thing more annoying than the man who thinks he knows everything is the guy who actually does.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks for all the info PlainBill, I have one more question. How much does lead spacing matter? I noticed on a few capacitors the spacing are either 3.5mm and 5mm. I'm going to pry open my monitor one more time and try to measure it with accuracy but was wondering how much it mattered in the first place.

Comment

WHoops, never mind. I was replying to at other forum!

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by buzznjackal
              Thanks for all the info PlainBill, I have one more question. How much does lead spacing matter? I noticed on a few capacitors the spacing are either 3.5mm and 5mm. I'm going to pry open my monitor one more time and try to measure it with accuracy but was wondering how much it mattered in the first place.
              Ideally the lead spacing should match. While I haven't checked every cap's specs, in my (limited) experience lead spacing for a given diameter is constant across the different manufacturers. It's obvious why this is so. A manufacturer who adopted a different lead spacing would find themselves at a considerable competitive disadvantage.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                but if I ignore it Toasty will get on my case.
                Originally posted by eguevarae
                Been there ....

hehehehe
                veritas odium parit

Comment

I'm ordering the caps today but one question before I do. How should I go about replacing 150uF 450v capacitor? It appears to be laying on its side and glued to the board.

Comment

I'm ordering the caps today but one question before I do. How should I go about replacing 150uF 450v capacitor?
                    Carefully.
                    It appears to be laying on its side and glued to the board.
                    It is. The glue isn't very strong; it's to hold the part in place until it is soldered. Pry the old cap up (you could slit the plastic cover on it first), unsolder it, then carefully remove as much of the old glue as you can. Insert the new one (the glue is optional), then solder it in.

PlainBill

Comment

cool..... my friend's monitor exhibited the same problem, which i had RMA it, think once the warranty is over, recap shd be done.

Comment

Thanks, trying to order now but I don't understand the Digi-Key International Shipping charges. Sent them a message and awaiting a reply.

Comment

Capacitors $9
                          Shipping to the Cayman Islands $40
                          Duty fees on said capacitors $10
                          ----------------------------------
                          Total $59

I'm going to see if I can have these shipped to some family in the U.S. and have them forward it to me. I can't beleive Digi-Key is charging that much for international shipping, such a rip-off. I recently bought a Dell Laptop power adapter from China and 2 GB of DDR Ram from the U.S. and the shipping for each of those items was under $10.

Thanks again for you help PlainBill

Comment

111% Duty!! Holy Crap!

1 pound via 1st Class mail from US is $10.31.

Toast
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                              111% Duty!! Holy Crap!

Toast
                              Unfortunately, Digikey does not do international shipping by first class mail. Their cheapest international shipping method is Express mail, and that costs $30 and up.

It's been over 5 years since I shipped anything internationally, and it was a huge pain compared to domestic shipping. I could ship a one pound package by Fedex ground for $8.00 including tracking and delivery confirmation. It would take less than 5 minutes to prepare the paperwork, and another 5 to drop it off at Fedex.

The cheapest way to ship internationally then was the post office, but the local post office didn't always agree with the web site on the documentation required for a given country, and it always seemed I was waiting in line for half an hour or more while a clerk explained to someone 'This Side UP' is meaningless if you are shipping Aunt Tilly's favorite vase via parcel post.

PlainBill

Comment

Don't get me started on Parcel Post I've had more packages destroyed via that method then any other.
                                Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-01-2009, 08:11 PM.
                                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                                  Don't get me started on Parcel Post I've had more packages destroyed via that method then any other.
                                  While I was in college I worked at the post office. One of the 'fun' jobs was working 'shake out'. The mail bags came from the trucks or the train by conveyor and were dumped at the top of a large ramp. They slid down and we opened the bags and dumped the contents onto a second conveyor, which took the parcels to the sorting area.

Of course, the bags were filled with parcels bound for a common destination. So it wasn't uncommon to find a bowling ball or a car muffler in the same bag as a package that HAD contained a vase, a doll, or a toy.

Ah, the good old days.

PlainBill

Comment

I remember a few years ago I had an old 640X480 sharp projector shipped the thing weighed at least 38 pounds it came with a 3" crack in the rear casing with the main video PCB split the same distance all courtesy of parcel post (didn't know they were shipping it that way at the time).

I superglued the board back together and soldered jumper wires thank goodness it was only a double layer PCB.

I used it till 05 when I bought my Infocus X3. The X3 crapped out on me in 07 due to the crappy Su Scons on the power supply I replaced them with FCs and it's still working to this day. This was the only switcher I've ever seen with 85C GP caps on the secondary.
                                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-02-2009, 08:07 AM.
                                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                                      111% Duty!! Holy Crap!

Toast
                                      Unfortunately they charge 20% duty on total purchase price. That means they will charge duty on the price you paid for the item and the price paid for the shipping. Its bogus but there is nothing you can do about it if you want your package when it arrives. So in this case, they are going to charge me 20% of $49.

Comment

Not if you get someone to send it as a Gift or Commercial Samples with a $10 value.

Been doing Int'l shipping for 15 years. There are ways around....

Toast
                                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                        X