No announcement yet.

Dell used to be really good quality....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell used to be really good quality....

Well, I know how that goes with the Dell's. I cant hardly get my customers to buy any of the used ones I get it trade. But I can say that about Gateways to and I worked there for over 7 years. I paid 3000 for my first new pc a Gateway g6-300 XL. most of my repair work is on thoughs 2 brands. At my day Job I only buy HP Business products, and have had great luck with them. But I went out on a Limb and gambled on a New Samsung RV511 from Best Buy for my home Laptop. Oh ya, I told them that if they open the box I would not buy it. I hate our local geek squad, bunch of complete tards. I get more rework from customers that have had them look at there PC's then just about anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
      still.. USFF boxes still cook caps.. even rubys..
      this might not be too terribly bad of a problem with the much cooler running CPUs we've got nowadays though.. (compared to the P4 hotplates those older Dells used)
      ~ALL~ USFF & SFF boxes cook caps. - That's not a "Dell issue" either...
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

The GX150 SFF with the Rubycons only (They're rare 1 out of ten of them let's say) are always fine. Mind you, there are only seven big caps total on the whole motherboard 7 x 6.2 2200uF MBZ/HM/KZG class. The HMs always fail and the KZGs are hit and miss.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I don't think Dell is any worse than anyone else.
          They sell MORE so you see them more often.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
            Also, I would watch out for Conroes, too.

65nm Core 2 Duos tend to run hot. I can see them heating up easily in a crammed case.
            seems like you never had a Pentium 4 or Pentium D if you call a C2D hot-running..

(or you're using crappy coolers lol)

Comment

yeah, core 2s run cool. On my one, the temp. control never even turns the fan on for anything but heavy load stuff like gaming (and even then, it runs quite slow like 500RPM), although my case does have excellent ventilation.

EDIT: That's with an overclock from 3GHz to 3.6GHz, so it would probably run a bit cooler without the overclock.
              Last edited by c_hegge; 03-23-2011, 04:14 AM.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

seems like you never had a Pentium 4 or Pentium D if you call a C2D hot-running..

Mine is hard to cool, even with a better heatsink and low Vcore.
                Reminds me of "Bloomfield" chips!
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I think Dell has gone downhill trying to keep production costs low so they can sell a 299$ computer. I also believe that alienware which is owned by dell now has gone downhill i have repaired two of the laptops in the last month and one about 2 years old had bad memory and the other had a bad motherboard. I love it when people buy the cheapest computer they can find then they complain that it is slow and after two years parts begin to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    yeah, core 2s run cool. On my one, the temp. control never even turns the fan on for anything but heavy load stuff like gaming (and even then, it runs quite slow like 500RPM), although my case does have excellent ventilation.

EDIT: That's with an overclock from 3GHz to 3.6GHz, so it would probably run a bit cooler without the overclock.
                    Yours is a 45nm. I think those do better.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by gerg View Post
                      I think Dell has gone downhill trying to keep production costs low so they can sell a 299$ computer. I also believe that alienware which is owned by dell now has gone downhill i have repaired two of the laptops in the last month and one about 2 years old had bad memory and the other had a bad motherboard. I love it when people buy the cheapest computer they can find then they complain that it is slow and after two years parts begin to fail.
                      So who is doing better then?

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                        Yours is a 45nm. I think those do better.
                        there's virtually no difference.. maybe 1-3°C .. it's not like they run 10+°C cooler or something lol

my 65nm Core 2 Quad Q6600 overclocked from 2.4 to 3.6 currently idles at 33°C with a 92mm fan at roughly 950rpm. (old cpu-z validation with lower multiplier)
                        and my old Core 2 Duo E4300 which was OCed from 1.8 to 3GHz wasn't really hot-running either.. (same cooler.. Arctic Freezer 7 Pro in the old revision (black fan blades & not i3/i5/i7 mounting compatible))
                        Last edited by Scenic; 03-23-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

With the exception of mobile versions, some Xeons, and those branded 'Extreme' all the 45nm & 65nm '2-Core' 'Core architecture' CPUs are 65 watts TDP.
                          [The 45nm 2-core is no different than the 65nm 2-core in that aspect.]

As a point of reference:
                          The fastest P4 [Netburst] with less TDP is a 2.6/512/400 or a 2.53/512/533.
                          - And unlike the 'core' CPU's, those P4's have no form of 'Speed-Step' so the 'core' CPUs actual power use [and heat dissipation] is much less than their TDP implies when comparing then to a P4 Netburst.

-
                          Short of bad cooling or a poorly designed motherboard I can't see any way for a Core based 2-core to be considered as one that 'runs hot'.

Now, some of the 4-cores run hotter.
                          - But AFAIK there is no -practical- use for a 4-core outside of an Enterprise Class server or a 'serous' workstation. [And I mean 'Workstation' by the industry definition.]
                          Outside of those situations the extra cores just don't do much so there is really no point in having them in a PC. [PC = PERSONAL Computer.]
                          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 03-23-2011, 01:08 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                            They're a nightmare. Very tough to get into all the crevices. I think the caps are LTEC and Teapo last time I checked.
                            Oh really....well seeing that I don't use this computer much, maybe I'll give it a look. Eww Ltec and Teapo? Teapo is usually alright. Not the best, but Ltecs. Shame shame.

Comment

Pentium D...Two P4s on one chip. Wtf were they thinking? What was the TDP on those bad boys? 200W?

Comment

Outside of those situations the extra cores just don't do much so there is really no point in having them in a PC. [PC = PERSONAL Computer.]
                                [scotty]Laddie, don't you think you should rephrase that?[/scotty]

I must disagree strongly with you here.
                                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                  [scotty]Laddie, don't you think you should rephrase that?[/scotty]

I must disagree strongly with you here.
                                  Go right ahead. - I really don't care.
                                  And I'm standing by what I said.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
                                    Pentium D...Two P4s on one chip. Wtf were they thinking? What was the TDP on those bad boys? 200W?
                                    95 to 130 watts.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Getting back to the Dell thing. I just decided to pop open the GX150's power supply. Mockingbird, you were almost dead on. It had two Teapos on the primary/PFC circuit. There's no active PFC so there's a 115/230V switch on the back, and hence the two caps. Could be making that up...believe I'm right.

Anyway, two Teapos and the rest are G-Luxon. I'm starting to regret making this thread now. Enterprise workstations with G-Luxon? Yeah aaaight.

There are in fact two swollen G-Luxons in the PSU which makes me think that perhaps the computer is running like shit because of some faulty ripple suppression or something. The others don't look all that hot either. They aren't swollen but I doubt they've stood up to 8 years of wear and tear too well.

So if a PSU has bad caps, can it harm your motherboard etc.? What I am trying to say is: If I replace the caps for a new bucks, would it be pointless "now that the damage has been done"? Or would it be an okay idea. I don't use it much anymore, but it was actually quite zippy (for an 833MHz computer) up until about 2 years ago.

The KZGs the GX150 is being accused of seems to be either a false accusation or I just have a lucky model. I have around 3 OSCONs, and around 4-5 UCC LXYs. So no KZGs in sight.

Anyway, here are some pictures. (Still working on my photography, don't hate!) Since all the Chemi-cons were conveniently placed that I could not fit the camera lense to snap a photo of the printing, you just get the date codes etc. However, trust me when I say they were LXYs.

Za pictures...

UCC LXY:

Teapos (these look swollen to you guys?):

G-Luxon:

Swollen:
                                      Last edited by TheLaw; 03-23-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

1) Yea looks like you have an older GX150. The GX150s I work on all have the Pentium 1.13 chips and they have two 6.2 2200 HM/KZG/MBZ on the VRM which sticks up from the board, and 5 more HM/KZG/MBZ on the board.

2) That Teapo primary does look bulged. I would replace every last capacitor in the PSU, except for the coupling capacitors (Though I don't know how to identify a coupling capacitor).

If you need help, I can point you in the right direction regarding which replacements to get.

Comment

I think I can get the right replacements. But Low-ESR, High Ripple Current? Any series you like in particular? Almost anything has to be better than this crap.

I think I'm going to do a full recap...

Are coupling capacitors electrolytic? And what is the reason behind not replacing them?

Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

Working...
                                          X