The 2019 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2019 Operating System Thread

I'm very non-computer-geekasoid. Win10 at home, Win7 at work.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I use a 2012 Macbook Pro in bed and just got a 2018 Mac Mini so I have been using Mojave quite a bit, love it so far. However on my Windows builds I have finally given in to Windows 10 and have been using it.
      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

you dont use win10, win10 uses you!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          qft
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Still using w7 mainstream. I've got a couple S2K12R2 workstations in my fleet....but I just can't conform to w10....I've tried, it didn't work. I've tried so many times to make it 'shut up'...it just never would.

When 7 was new, I dogged it because of its horrible resource allocation (so vista-like), but SP1 fixed all that and I warmed up to it.... I run unpatched, just SP1 and a few hand selected fixes, then WUS is shut off. I've read all the 10 supporters tell me 'you can disable all that phoning home'.... My response is: 'I shouldn't have to, and I won't'.... I hate on 10 for very different reasons than I did 7....and the issues with 10 will not have any real fix for them besides a hacked up mess for an OS.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              I've tried so many times to make it 'shut up'...it just never would.
              You can very easily make it "shut up"- kill the partition(s), then zero fill the drive to be certain...

....and the issues with 10 will not have any real fix for them besides a sledgehammer, a few lead slugs, and finally a nuclear blast.
              fify...
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Same as this time last year:

Workstations: 7
                Laptops: 7 and Arch Linux Dual Booted (one also with xp)
                Asus Transformer: Modded 8.1
                Server: Debian (now on Stretch)
                Work computers: 7 (although I have one of the last systems to not have 10 company-wide).

Edit- forgot to mention I acquired an iMac for peanuts... it runs OSX 10.11 (may upgrade to 10.13 once I upgrade the CPU).
                Last edited by ratdude747; 01-04-2019, 10:48 AM.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I've read all the 10 supporters tell me 'you can disable all that phoning home'.... My response is: 'I shouldn't have to, and I won't'....
                  What happens if W10 can't (ever!) phone home?
                  - air-gapped machine?
                  - external firewall with DENY as the default policy?

In the latter case, is it smart enough to realize that it is NOT airgapped (because there are some non-RFC1918 IPs that ARE being contacted... because the IP stack KNOWS what it IS talking to)? Does it use tunneling to bypass said firewall?

Does the EULA require you to accept updates? Require you to let the machine leak information?

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    Edit- forgot to mention I acquired an iMac for peanuts... it runs OSX 10.11 (may upgrade to 10.13 once I upgrade the CPU).
                    Anyone tried to build a Hackintosh? With any success??

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                      Anyone tried to build a Hackintosh? With any success??
                      I used a ThinkPad T420 and built a hackintosh out of it and its running mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. Works good and the HD3000 is fully supported. however the built in wifi doesn't work so I found a TP link dongle with Mac Drivers and have been using that.
                      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

What happens if W10 can't (ever!) phone home?
                        - air-gapped machine?
                        - external firewall with DENY as the default policy?

In the latter case, is it smart enough to realize that it is NOT airgapped (because there are some non-RFC1918 IPs that ARE being contacted... because the IP stack KNOWS what it IS talking to)? Does it use tunneling to bypass said firewall?

Does the EULA require you to accept updates? Require you to let the machine leak information?
                        people did tests early on,
                        the sending of information is at kernel level and will go under any firewall installed on it.
                        if you block everything at the router it will eventually not work properly - if at all.

people then tried to isolate the critical addresses from the rest - i think they got overwelmed and gave up on that.

Comment

people did tests early on,
                          the sending of information is at kernel level and will go under any firewall installed on it.
                          Hence the reason to use an external firewall -- something that the OS has no influence/control over.

if you block everything at the router it will eventually not work properly - if at all.
                          How? It has to be a very deliberate "I haven't been able to phone home so I will REFUSE to _________".

people then tried to isolate the critical addresses from the rest - i think they got overwelmed and gave up on that.
                          You don't try to isolate the offenders. Rather, you block EVERYTHING and then only allow those IPs that you explicitly need to access. It's like using NoScript with everything disabled/blocked, by default. If a site doesn't work, you incrementally add domains that you are WILLING to allow to be dragged into the site's access. (e.g., facebook.net is NEVER allowed to insert script on this machine).

I realize this would be tough for Joe Average User. But, a community effort seems like it would be easy to come up with a safe set of domains/hosts. Then, access the web through a proxy server set up and maintained by that same "community effort" (i.e., ONLY allow "proxy.net" and proxy.net rewrites every access using safe rules based on knowledge of where MS lurks)

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                            I used a ThinkPad T420 and built a hackintosh out of it and its running mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. Works good and the HD3000 is fully supported. however the built in wifi doesn't work so I found a TP link dongle with Mac Drivers and have been using that.
                            Yeah, WiFi, BT, etc. seem to always be a problem when trying to run a "different" OS on a particular piece of hardware.

Have you a pointer to a good tutorial? I may try installing on one of my laptops just to be able to play with it "firsthand"

Comment

unfortunately you are 100% correct, stj!

Comment

For 2019

Main machine = Lubuntu 18.04 (LXDE)
                                Test machine = Lubuntu 19.04 (LXQT)
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Same as last year... Windows XP Pro SP2 + two specific patches.
                                  And my main computer is still the same one too: Dell OptiPlex 170L (2.8 GHz P4, 1.25 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD). Been that way since 2013 now. Still boots just as if I had installed the OS yesterday. Only the "net" has gotten a bit slower on it.

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                                  I'm milking XP for as long as possible.
                                  That explains 1 of the 3 votes for XP. I wonder who the other fella is. I know I'm the 3rd.

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                                  Then, maybe 7, but with an actual shell/file manager.
                                  Sounds like my near future when I can no longer use XP on the well to the extent I like. As it is, Firefox ESR still works with most websites, so I can continue to push my good ol' Pentium 4. When too many websites start being broken, that's probably the day I'd have to switch.

And this is not even a In Soviet Russia... joke!

I run unpatched, just SP1 and a few hand selected fixes, then WUS is shut off.
                                  Same here for my 7 boxes.
                                  SP1 + my custom HOSTs file + a few settings/tweaks does a decent enough job of keeping those boxes secure enough. The ones that might get abused (like for example, the "media PC" that my dad uses for streaming TV from who knows what websites), I just keep a backup image of the HDD from the time of installation. Haven't had any need to use them, yet, though.
                                  Last edited by momaka; 01-05-2019, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Windows 7 on both my main and secondary computers.
                                    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      That explains 1 of the 3 votes for XP. I wonder who the other fella is. I know I'm the 3rd.
                                      This post was from an XP box.....one of my retro rigs I was working on this morning....

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      SP1 + my custom HOSTs file + a few settings/tweaks does a decent enough job of keeping those boxes secure enough. The ones that might get abused (like for example, the "media PC" that my dad uses for streaming TV from who knows what websites), I just keep a backup image of the HDD from the time of installation. Haven't had any need to use them, yet, though.
                                      I do pretty much the same.....and I've never had to restore one of the images.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

I do pretty much the same.....and I've never had to restore one of the images.
                                        I have images of each machine -- in a couple of stages during the build (afterOS, after drivers, after updates, after core apps, after first set of rarely updated apps, etc.) -- that I usually only need if I want to roll back to a "pre-app" state so I can choose another set of applications to install on the machine (without having to reinstall windows, drivers, patches and "core apps").

For this (exposed) machine, I pull the drive every 6-12 months and restore the initial image to a clean drive. Then, a few months later, mount the pulled drive on a sacrificial machine and download a current AV product to check the state of the pulled drive. This gives the AV product those few months to catch up to any exploits that MAY have caught the machine just prior to my pulling the drive.

So far, never any AV hits. But, we tend to be pretty conservative in where we "go" with the machine and keep a large condom pulled over the machine...

[One of my "bags of disks" -- "A" & "B" refer to the two copies of each disk]
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Curious.George; 01-05-2019, 12:13 PM. Reason: Add pic

Comment

For this (exposed) machine, I pull the drive every 6-12 months
                                          I pull a fresh image anytime there's significant changes in files or config. This includes all my 'working media' for the bench system, my DVD image dump, and of course the other things the server does for network config...so if something catastrophic happens (hardware failure, malware, etc), restore image....and like it never happened. I multi-wrap my backup pickle as well. I pull a full backup using the S2K12 backup util, 2 times to 2 different ext drives. I then manually dump critical files 2 times to yet 2 more ext drives. One set of backup drives are stored locally in a fireproof safe, the other 2 are stored in a safe deposit box.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X