Dell Optiplex GX 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Optiplex GX 150

A sweet dumpster find! How could someone just dump a perfectly good P3 system here?! As you can see, there are Boeing stickers on this. This was at one point used by a Boeing employee and they had a surplus store where they would sell used equipment. Unfortunately, they closed that store in December, 2007.

I noticed right off that this thing was in pretty good shape. I didn't do any dusting. It looks pretty clean. I cracked it open in the parking lot to make sure it was intact. It used all Rubycon on the motherboard. The filtering caps are MCZ. They all look good....but if I use this (which I probably will) I might want to replace them.

The first thing I noticed when I powered it on was that the PSU fan is almost completely seized. It would make about 3 full revolutions and then come to a stop. I haven't opened it yet but by looking at the fan blades, it looks like a Sunon. I can also see tons of Teapo caps in there. Those will be going.... It powered on and fortunately it had the original 20GB WD drive in there. Only 31,390 power on hours on this bad boy. It's just breaking in!

It's maxed out memory wise, with matching Samsung modules to make 512MB 133MHz. Speaking of. What is that card that's in the AGP slot??? Is that just added memory for the integrated graphics?

The stock CPU is a Coppermine 1000/256/133. I noticed while it was running with the top off that the CPU heatsink got warm pretty quickly. Probably because of the original crappy bubble gum "paste" Which brings me to a few questions....Will this support that pictured P3 server CPU I have sitting there? Will I have to remove the IHS to install it? And....is the CPU fan blowing downwards the best course of action for a chassis like this? Seems strange....

I plan on installing PCI Gigabit cards in the expansion bays and installing pfSense to run my home router duties, and run a VPN. If it supports the better P3 that might help a bit with VPN encryption.
    Attached Files

Re: Dell Optiplex GX 150

That's a Tualatin CPU, you need to research the chipset and see if there's Tualatin support....but odds are it won't....there weren't a lot of 'big box' systems that supported these. it would be a nice upgrade if it would.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Okay, I hate to be a buzzkill but I’m pretty sure they are actually MBZ unless the board was previously recapped (the blue and gold sleeves denote MBZ). The GX150 boards are 2001 vintage, which was well before MCZ was in production. Looks like a nice score though!

No surprise the Sunon sleeve bearing fan nearly seized after over 31,000 hours of use. Many Hipro back then used death ADDA fans, so the fan probably would have seized sooner had it been an ADDA. That JMC/Datech fan may not be in a good condition either. Those fans were failure prone compared to the NMB/Minebea equivalents.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        That's a Tualatin CPU, you need to research the chipset and see if there's Tualatin support....but odds are it won't....there weren't a lot of 'big box' systems that supported these. it would be a nice upgrade if it would.
        It's an 815E chipset. So it looks like it does support some Tualatin CPUs but doesn't show support for the 512k cache CPUs.

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
        Okay, I hate to be a buzzkill but I'm pretty sure they are actually MBZ unless the board was previously recapped (the blue and gold sleeves denote MBZ). The GX150 boards are 2001 vintage, which was well before MCZ was in production. Looks like a nice score though!

No surprise the Sunon sleeve bearing fan nearly seized after over 31,000 hours of use. Many Hipro back then used death ADDA fans, so the fan probably would have seized sooner had it been an ADDA. That JMC/Datech fan may not be in a good condition either. Those fans were failure prone compared to the NMB/Minebea equivalents.
        I intentionally put the wrong series to see if you were still on your game Either way, I think they should be replaced if I want to use them. Even for high quality caps, they are probably getting tired.

I'll see if I can oil the fan but I might just replace it. The JMC fan seemed to spin pretty well. Might not have one on hand with the same size, but I do have quite a few sleeve bearing fans around. Do you think moving air downwards is the best?

Comment

The best way to find out is to stick it in the socket and fire it up. The VCORE difference is ~.3v, it won't fry by trying this.....if it POST's, its supported.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

The VCORE difference is ~.3v, it won't fry by trying this.....if it POST's, its supported.
            Good...That's all I care about So then if it works I'd probably have to remove the IHS. I tried just to see and it was too tall to have the heatsink clamp down. Has anyone removed one before?

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
              I intentionally put the wrong series to see if you were still on your game
              OMG, you got me good.

Either way, I think they should be replaced if I want to use them. Even for high quality caps, they are probably getting tired.
              Yup, I see a “T0124” datecode/factory code on them, which means they were manufactured during the 24th week of 2001 in Fukushima, Japan. That means they are well over 16 years old now. All the major brands don’t rate electrolytics for any more than 15 years maximum (mainly due to the evaporation of the liquid electrolyte through the rubber bung and the deterioration of the rubber bung), although I have seen many high quality electrolytics last much longer than that.

I personally think those 2200uF 6.3V Rubycon MBZ may still be okay, but the only way to find out of course would be to pull them and measure them. Still, I’m sure they’re in much better condition than KZG or bad datecode HM would have been (but that’s stating the obvious...), both of which were used interchangeably with MBZ on these boards. I also wonder if the smaller Rubycon YK? are in-spec. Of greater concern may be the Teapo in the Hipro.

I'll see if I can oil the fan but I might just replace it. The JMC fan seemed to spin pretty well. Might not have one on hand with the same size, but I do have quite a few sleeve bearing fans around. Do you think moving air downwards is the best?
              If that’s the way the airflow in the case was designed, to exhaust the heat from the CPU heatsink rather than blow air onto it. The equivalent NMB fan is the 2408NL-04W-B66. The JMC fan may work fine for now but I wouldn’t be surprised if it failed sometime in the near future, especially with that much use. AFAIK and IIRC, these 2BB fans have shielded bearings even if they don’t have any sort of rubber seal, which means you would have to completely disassemble the fan to degrease and regrease the ball bearings.
              Last edited by Wester547; 10-07-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Yup, I see a “T0124” datecode/factory code on them, which means they were manufactured during the 24th week of 2001 in Fukushima, Japan. That means they are well over 16 years old now. All the major brands don’t rate electrolytics for any more than 15 years maximum (mainly due to the evaporation of the liquid electrolyte through the rubber bung and the deterioration of the rubber bung), although I have seen many high quality electrolytics last much longer than that.
                15 years? Interesting, because so many CRTs last forever. I've also pulled VRM high 1500uF 16V nichicon PW from a S478 board; the ESR was low and the capacitance was within 5% of original spec. They were 16.5 years old at the time. Is it just that the manufacturer doesn't bother to rate them after 15 years?

I personally think those 2200uF 6.3V Rubycon MBZ may still be okay, but the only way to find out of course would be to pull them and measure them.
                I will pull them and test them. I'll probably even put polymer caps on the VRM of this board. I have another Optiplex from 2001 (With a P4) Where I put all polymers on the VRM of the board and it's worked well for more than 10,000 hours since then.

Of greater concern may be the Teapo in the Hipro
                Those will also get tested and replaced. I need to take pictures but I think it used mostly Teapo SD with two Teapo SC. None were bulging, but I don't trust them.

If that’s the way the airflow in the case was designed, to exhaust the heat from the CPU heatsink rather than blow air onto it. The equivalent NMB fan is the 2408NL-04W-B66. The JMC fan may work fine for now but I wouldn’t be surprised if it failed sometime in the near future, especially with that much use.
                The JMC fan seems to spin well but I actually have a brand new sleeve bearing fan sitting around that could do the job in a more silent manner. Although...if the machine was in an upright position, that would be the worst angle for the sleeve bearing to be running.

The best way to find out is to stick it in the socket and fire it up. The VCORE difference is ~.3v, it won't fry by trying this.....if it POST's, its supported.
                Unfortunately it just beeped furiously when I tried it. I have a Tualatin 1.2/256/133 that I will try. Maybe it just doesn't like the -S P3 models.
                Last edited by Pentium4; 10-10-2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

15 years? Interesting, because so many CRTs last forever. I've also pulled VRM high 1500uF 16V nichicon PW from a S478 board; the ESR was low and the capacitance was within 5% of original spec. They were 16.5 years old at the time. Is it just that the manufacturer doesn't bother to rate them after 15 years?
                  I think it pertains to the failure rate.

After 15 years, the failure rate of the caps may slowly reach a bathtub curve. If the failure rate is 0.5% at 14 years, it may increase to 1% after 15 years, 2% after 16 years, 4% after 17 years, 8% after 18 years, 16% after 19 years, 32% after 20 years, 64% after 21 years... that may be an overestimation, but you get the idea. It could mean that the caps may slowly start to go out-of-spec (in terms of leakage current and/or capacitance and ESR) after 15 years. CRTs tend to last a very long time save for the occasional horizontal output transistor failure, back flyback transformer, and bad solder joints.

I think capacitor series like Nichicon PW and NCC LXZ, which use more conventional electrolyte rather than electrolyte with high water content (as many ultra-low-Z series do), have a longer shelf life and take longer to reach their EOL failures (the electrolyte is less prone to volatization). That 15 year spec applies to rubber-sealed polymers as well, according to NCC and Nichicon.

I will pull them and test them. I'll probably even put polymer caps on the VRM of this board. I have another Optiplex from 2001 (With a P4) Where I put all polymers on the VRM of the board and it's worked well for more than 10,000 hours since then.
                  Is that the board you posted about roughly 3 years ago, that had failed Nichicon HM in the VRM output? That’s the Dell Dimension 4300S IIRC, or an Optiplex GX240 SFF or some variant thereof.

Those will also get tested and replaced. I need to take pictures but I think it used mostly Teapo SD with two Teapo SC. None were bulging, but I don't trust them.
                  Well, Teapo of that age were absolutely notorious for going open with no visible signs of failure whatsoever.
                  Last edited by Wester547; 10-10-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I think capacitor series like Nichicon PW and NCC LXZ, which use more conventional electrolyte rather than electrolyte with high water content (as many ultra-low-Z series do), have a longer shelf life and take longer to reach their EOL failures (the electrolyte is less prone to volatization).
                    That's good to hear....I have a P3 board that actually uses PW on the board and they're from early 2000. I decided not to replace them. I will wait till they fail...They have over 60,000 hours on them.

Is that the board you posted about roughly 3 years ago, that had failed Nichicon HM in the VRM output? That’s the Dell Dimension 4300S IIRC
                    Yes, that is correct It's actually closer to 15,000 hours. It ran 24/7 for a year in my friend's old house as a machine to play video over a CRT, then was used as a router/VPN for 9 months 24/7. Now doing router capabilities in yet another house. I put a Quantum 30GB drive in there

Well, Teapo of that age were absolutely notorious for going open with no visible signs of failure whatsoever.
                    Yeah, I'm curious to see how they read. They were hot off the press when this thing was made....dated August, 2001 and the QC stamp on the PSU is from September 1, 2001. Here are the pictures I remembered to get while running out the door this morning....And guess what?!

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pentium4; 10-11-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

That's good to hear....I have a P3 board that actually uses PW on the board and they're from early 2000. I decided not to replace them. I will wait till they fail...They have over 60,000 hours on them.
                      Well, there is always a risk of rubber seal degradation with any wet electrolytic. They could last another 10 years or leak tomorrow (not that likely). It would be intriguing to see how they fare, in any case. The PW series is technically non-aqueous but they still use a liquid electrolyte which can leak if the seal is compromised in any way.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how they read. They were hot off the press when this thing was made....dated August, 2001 and the QC stamp on the PSU is from September 1, 2001. Here are the pictures I remembered to get while running out the door this morning....And guess what?!
                      Ah, so it does have a death ADDA after all. No wonder it failed.

The input capacitors look to be Panasonic, so you may not need to replace those at least. The output looks to use a mingling of Teapo SD, SC, and SEK series capacitors. I noticed that the +3.3V rail is linear regulated in this PSU and the regulator is on a finless heatsink - that can’t be good for the thermal output, which may endanger those already tired and likely out-of-spec el cheapo Teapos. Yet another reason to replace them. FWIW, I think the SEK and the blue SD / SX series is more reliable than the SC series, although not of such quality to be deemed trustworthy.
                      Last edited by Wester547; 10-11-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

A sweet dumpster find! How could someone just dump a perfectly good P3 system here?!
                        I know, right! So many things one could do with such a computer! - well, if you are the nerdy, geeky, techy, or just creative type anyways.

But seriously, an old PC like this can still be easily re-purposed for so many useful things.
                        ... especially if you know someone who has small kids. Forget about giving kinds some stupid tablet. This can be 100 times better and more educational to them.

Anyways, nice save!

It used all Rubycon on the motherboard. The filtering caps are MCZ. They all look good....but if I use this (which I probably will) I might want to replace them.
                        Nah, they should be fine for many more years. If you really want the peace of mind, replacing 1/2 or 1/3 of the caps in the VRM should more-than do the trick. And SDRAM is powered directly from the PSU's 3.3V rail, so you really only need good caps in the PSU for everything.

Also, Pentium 3 CPUs hardly use more than 35W of power at full load. Heck, I bet that full system uses less than 60W at full power. I know my P3 HP Pavilion was pulling some funny figures from the wall - something like 30 Watts in idle and high 50's or low 60's under full load, IIRC. If I had an optical drive spinning a disc, maybe I would have had that at 70-75 Watts tops. It's amazing how energy-efficient these things are.

It powered on and fortunately it had the original 20GB WD drive in there. Only 31,390 power on hours on this bad boy. It's just breaking in!
                        Lol. Yeah, these old HDDs will usually make it to 100k without problems. If it's a ball bearing HDD, though, the noise might start to drive you insane after a certain point, as ball bearing HDDs tend to get very loud. I have a 20 GB Maxtor with 50k hours and it sounds like a jet turbine.

... Speaking of. What is that card that's in the AGP slot??? Is that just added memory for the integrated graphics?
                        Correctomundo!

It's basically a Dell thing. Unless you plan to play old games on it, this setup with the onboard CDD (Crude Display Device ) should suffice for your needs.

Dell also had some weird AGP cards in the P4-era with a weird small chip and a single VGA output. I'm not sure if that was to add a second monitor output or provide extra RAM to the onboard RAM (the cards had a VGA D-SUB connector), but it was the same quirky stuff. Only the "higher-end" OptiPlexes and Dimensions came with cards like GeForce MX4000.

Though I do also have one GeForce 4 TI4600 that came from a late P4 model Dimension. Really nice mid-range AGP video card, but needed a reflow to get rid of the artifacts.

The stock CPU is a Coppermine 1000/256/133. I noticed while it was running with the top off that the CPU heatsink got warm pretty quickly. Probably because of the original crappy bubble gum "paste"
                        1 GHz P3 stock? Nice!
                        If the HS got hot quickly, then the original paste was probably working just fine. Of course, it's still a good idea to change it anyways.

And....is the CPU fan blowing downwards the best course of action for a chassis like this? Seems strange....
                        Yeah, that's weird indeed. Heat tends to rise, so it might be a good idea to reverse the fan. Better yet, make a fan duct over the HS and curve it so it exhausts the hot air from the back.

Dell in general made okay cooling designs back in that time period, but they could still be improved tremendously with a few hacks and mods.

That JMC/Datech fan may not be in a good condition either. Those fans were failure prone compared to the NMB/Minebea equivalents.
                        Should be fine, as it's probably a ball bearing fan.

Ball bearing fans don't really fail - they just get louder and louder until they drive you insane. I recently recapped an old FPS PSU with a dual BB Nidec Beta SL 80 mm. Had to change the fan too, because that Nidec was LOUD! - as in, I could hear it from the room next door. The bearings were quite worn. Not shot, though, because they didn't make bad grinding noises. Adding oil/grease did not help them at all (I actually opened the bearings with a fine needle).

It's an 815E chipset.
                        Oh no! Please tell me this has better graphics than the Intel 810E in my HP Pavilion 8756c PC. Man, that thing can't even do 32-bit color or any resolution over 1280x1024 at 60 Hz. No 3D acceleration of any kind! I tried to play the original Counter-Strike 1.0 version on it, and after getting single-digit framerates in DirectX mode, I switched to Software Render. Managed to squeeze a whooping 15-20 FPS with the CPU doing the rendering - image that! And Open-GL? What's that?!

Anyways, the onboard 810E graphics are so bad they are actually funny.

The JMC fan seemed to spin pretty well. Might not have one on hand with the same size, but I do have quite a few sleeve bearing fans around. Do you think moving air downwards is the best?
                        No, don't downgrade that JMC to a sleeve bearing.
                        Also, I do think you should flip the fan up.
                        Last edited by momaka; 10-12-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that's weird indeed. Heat tends to rise, so it might be a good idea to reverse the fan. Better yet, make a fan duct over the HS and curve it so it exhausts the hot air from the back.
                          Well, heat generally does rise but it can rise, descend, or even move sideways depending on the orientation of the computer and the design of the chassis. I definitely agree that Dell’s cooling designs were less than ideal, even back in those days. Can’t hurt to experiment with it, as these old PIII CPUs don’t run that hot anyway if even that.

Should be fine, as it's probably a ball bearing fan.

Ball bearing fans don't really fail - they just get louder and louder until they drive you insane. I recently recapped an old FPS PSU with a dual BB Nidec Beta SL 80 mm. Had to change the fan too, because that Nidec was LOUD! - as in, I could hear it from the room next door. The bearings were quite worn. Not shot, though, because they didn't make bad grinding noises. Adding oil/grease did not help them at all (I actually opened the bearings with a fine needle)
                          JMC double ball bearing fans were known to fail quite profusely back in the day. Just because it’s a 2BB fan does not mean it will last. If you Google their Dell model numbers, you will find many examples of failures, dating back to well over a decade ago.

Generally, ball bearings made by Chinese/Taiwanese companies (like Datech) are nowhere near the quality of those made by Japanese companies (like NMB and Nidec). I had a thermistor-controlled 9232-12HBTL-2 fan die over five years ago after 17,000 hours of use and no amount of greasing or oiling made any difference - the bearings were dead, even when I used a screwdriver to try to short the leads of the thermistor (to force the fan to run at +12V), and even after desoldering the thermistor itself, the fan would not run at all. It had been slowing down considerably before it finally seized. Removing the sticker did reveal an open, shielded 2BB fan (it wasn’t a 1B1S gimmick).
                          Last edited by Wester547; 10-12-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

JMC double ball bearing fans were known to fail quite profusely back in the day. Just because it’s a 2BB fan does not mean it will last.
                            I know.
                            But the point I am making is: you will definitely hear it way before it goes bad enough to seize, as bad bearings tend to make a terrible racket noise when they have failed completely.

I wish I had done an audio recording of our LG washer with my laptop (or just a better headset). I made a video with a Samsung tablet, but the audio turned out to be quite shit when it came to recording the bearing noise. It was at least 100 times louder in real life than the video. Perhaps something to do with LG and Samsung being two major Korean competitors? - Can't have a Samsung device record proper video of an LG and vice versa.

Generally, ball bearings made by Chinese/Taiwanese companies (like Datech) are nowhere near the quality of those made by Japanese companies (like NMB and Nidec).
                            Well, that applies for all Japanese vs. Chinese/Taiwanese bearings, in general. Very much like bad caps, actually. Now someone needs to create a forum called "badballbearings.net" ... or "BBB.net" if you really wanted to confuse folks for being an alternative Better Business Bureau website.
                            Last edited by momaka; 10-14-2017, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

Oh no! Please tell me this has better graphics than the Intel 810E in my HP Pavilion 8756c PC. Man, that thing can't even do 32-bit color or any resolution over 1280x1024 at 60 Hz. No 3D acceleration of any kind! I tried to play the original Counter-Strike 1.0 version on it, and after getting single-digit framerates in DirectX mode, I switched to Software Render. Managed to squeeze a whooping 15-20 FPS with the CPU doing the rendering - image that! And Open-GL? What's that?!

Anyways, the onboard 810E graphics are so bad they are actually funny.
                              Reminds me of i815! Does 3D, but shitty! Expect squares in modern stuff, due to a very poor blending implementation! And you must use 16 bpp for 3D! I was limited in which Nintendo 64 games I could emulate...

I think that the 815 was the reason some folks assume that Intel graphics are still shit! But, even 65 nm Core 2 era Intel graphics are light years ahead! But despite that, there's still folks bitching about Intel graphics in the later-2010s, IIRC!

The only problem I see is with my Intel-based laptop, which has a Pentium N3700, which is "Braswell".

"Braswell" is a recent gen Intel processor that's also an SOC, IIRC.

My Braswell Dell laptop is failing at YouTube, the CPU cores going full bore! Bullshit! Why no acceleration with YouTube's player? It might be mostly a Pale Moon issue... Even though I can't recall seeing that much better in Edge... It acts like a Pee4 with Pale Moon!

When playing a YouTube video in HD, the processor looks like I'm Prime95'ing it, FFS!
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-18-2017, 03:11 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                I think that the 815 was the reason some folks assume that Intel graphics are still shit! But, even 65 nm Core 2 era Intel graphics are light years ahead! But despite that, there's still folks bitching about Intel graphics in the later-2010s, IIRC!
                                Both Intel's first gen (i810/i815) and second gen (i845, i854, GMA9xx) were pretty dismal, though you are right that they started improving things in the Core 2 era.

That said, I never considered Intel to be good graphics until I played around with the 6th and 7th gen Core i3/i5/i7 onboard GPUs (this corresponds to Intel 8th or 9th generation of graphics, IIRC). Now those are actually quite decent. I tried some older games back at work just as a benchmark (like Portal, Portal 2, Mirror's Edge, etc.), and guess what? Those onboard 8th/9th gen Intel HD graphics were almost on par with a GeForce GTX 750. What's funny is that Dell and HP included the GeForce GT 745 in some of their PCs, but the onboard Intel HD was actually much better. For example, I could barely run Portal at 1080p on the GT 745 with AA and AF maxed out - it was barely holding at 20 FPS. Meanwhile, the Intel HD530 in those same PCs (I just removed the GT 745) managed to do ultra-wide 3440x1440 resolution with full AA and AF without the FPS dropping below 25 (was mostly in the mid 30's and 40's).

So Intel has definitely stepped up their game. Sure their current onboard GPUs may be no match for a mid-range modern GPU, but they can now hold a battle of their own against the low-end AMD and nVidia GPUs.

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                My Braswell Dell laptop is failing at YouTube, the CPU cores going full bore! Bullshit! Why no acceleration with YouTube's player? It might be mostly a Pale Moon issue... Even though I can't recall seeing that much better in Edge... It acts like a Pee4 with Pale Moon!

When playing a YouTube video in HD, the processor looks like I'm Prime95'ing it, FFS!
                                Lol, then there is definitely something wrong with your browser or OS settings. A CPU like that should do 1080p YouTube with ease. Heck, I could do 1080p even with an outdated low-end, 1st gen, 4-core Phenom with no GPU video acceleration.

Comment

Please give me dell u2410 circuit diagram

Comment

Working...
                                  X