Dell Studio 1537 fixed by replacing PC1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Studio 1537 fixed by replacing PC1

This laptop came in with no power issue.
    The owner said that the power button was malfunctioning and that it was a common issue on this laptop (the power button is inside the right hinge so it is likely to fail). However, as always, it's not the power button which was causing the issue but rather the motherboard.
    The motherboard is a Quanta FM7.

First time I tried was with a HP power brick and nothing happened (it was probably going into overload protection). When I hook it up to my PSU, I forgot to limit the current (several amps) and the culprit burnt right away. It was the PC1 capacitor, right on the top of the motherboard.
    After replacing it, everything is working fine again. Except that with my luck, the laptop also has a bad HDD and needs a good cleaning as it is overheating.
    Attached Files
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Re: Dell Studio 1537 fixed by replacing PC1

great job.
    cleaning is a risky process.
    I bent two pins of SIO while cleaning using a toothbrush.
    I learned pins of SIO are weak although they are soldered on the board.
    so I turned an easy fix into a complicated one.

Comment

Re: Dell Studio 1537 fixed by replacing PC1

the power button is inside the right hinge so it is likely to fail , is mostly what many customers think as the problem is usually intermittent . Many Acer models also use the inlet power inside the hinge , But in 99% of cases the power mosfets after the inlet is the culprit ..
      Now you have to convince a stubborn customer that it is a difficult and costy repair .

Comment

Working...
      X