Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another LG, Another TCON Issue.. 55LN5100

This one is not so bad as yesterdays..

Just got in a 55" LG this morning.. Powers up, backlight, no display..

Swapped out a few Main Video Boards.. Same issue..

TCON it is... No shorts or blown fuses this time..

I found a similar TCON in my parts jungle.. Literally.. A jungle..

Taaa Daaaaa.. It works!!

But the display is upside down.. I have run into many upside down displays, but it's usually the Main Video Board that's the issue.. Swapping out FIRMWARE chips usually takes care of that..

But I think I need to go thru the Service Menu to fix this..

Anyone know how to access the Service Menu on the LG LN series??

I have tried TV MENU/REMOTE MENU and TV OK/REMOTE OK... No luck...

Any help... Most appreciated..

Re: Another LG, Another TCON Issue.. 55LN5100

I have a LG service remote that accesses the service menu. Costs $40, but paid for itself many times over. I also have many LG tcons available. Which correct one do you need. 6871L-xxxx

Comment

I actually found another in my parts jungle.. Works fine.. Thanx for the reply... So, yer saying it's a special remote that is needed??

Thanx again...

Comment

Yes, I do a ton of LG tvs so this was a great tool. Its called LG Factory SVC Remocon Model# MKJ39170828. Saw a few on Ebay $10.

Comment

Awesome!! I'll check into that.. Yea... The LG infamous LED issue?? Almost single-handedly Keeps me in business....

Thanx again..

Comment

There is also an app if your smartphone has an IR blaster. I have a LG service remote I bought off ebay. To do a factory reset on LN series, Instop and 0413. Instart gets into service menu.

Comment

Looks like I might have to avail myself of that...

The TCON board I put in crapped out after about an hour.. Now I am back to a backlight but no display..

I am going to put the upside down TCON in it tomorrow morning and let it run for a couple of hours.. Hopefully it's not something else frying TCON boards..

If it lasts the burn in, I'll try the factory reset...

Thanx again to all who replied..

Seems like TCON boards are my nemesis this week...

Comment

Panel faults can fry tcon boards. I would look for liquid damage on the edge boards.

Comment

Since you've eliminated the signal processor board, this is moot....but a bunch of LG's I've seen needed their processor chips reflowed.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                    Looks like I might have to avail myself of that...

The TCON board I put in crapped out after about an hour.. Now I am back to a backlight but no display..

I am going to put the upside down TCON in it tomorrow morning and let it run for a couple of hours.. Hopefully it's not something else frying TCON boards..

If it lasts the burn in, I'll try the factory reset...

Thanx again to all who replied..

Seems like TCON boards are my nemesis this week...
                    Did the T-CON fuse also blown?
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

wondering if say power supply was high voltage it may blow the tcon ?

Comment

if you need to flip the image maybe this lg service remote apk will work it is very easy, just audio or IR with android
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                          Did the T-CON fuse also blown?
                          Nope.. At least, not on the first one...

I haven't had a chance to check the replacement, but I have a feeling that the fuse will be good on this one as well.

Should know more in a few hours when I get to my shop..

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                            if you need to flip the image maybe this lg service remote apk will work it is very easy, just audio or IR with android
                            That's awesome, dood!!! Thanx a bunch.. VERY much appreciated..

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              Since you've eliminated the signal processor board, this is moot....but a bunch of LG's I've seen needed their processor chips reflowed.
                              Yea, I know what you mean... I have had quite a few LGs where the boot-up process would freeze at the logo... I am assuming that's a processor chip issue as you describe..

A reflow usually fixes those right up..

That's one of the nice things about LGs.. They break easy but they are, by and large, easy to repair, once ya identify the problem.

Comment

Turns out that THIS TCON had the fuse blown.. Put the upside down TCON in it and gonna let it play for a few...

Comment

I just looked at my phone and I remembered I bought the SMART IR App a bit ago....

How would I incorporate this LG APK into the existing app??

EDIT:

Never mind.. It came up.... I push IN-START and it prompts for a password.. Grrrr.. Nothing is ever easy
                                  Last edited by Michale32086; 11-01-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Passwords 0000 and 1234 and 1111 do not work...

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                                      I just looked at my phone and I remembered I bought the SMART IR App a bit ago....

How would I incorporate this LG APK into the existing app??

EDIT:

Never mind.. It came up.... I push IN-START and it prompts for a password.. Grrrr.. Nothing is ever easy
                                      i have not got a android device here at the minute too test the apk are you using your version you brought? or the the i uploaded? user on this fourm DIAH first uploaded this file a while ago no one has said it needed a password maybe send diah a pm and see if he knows the password if its needed try 04103
                                      Last edited by vinceroger69; 11-01-2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

i have not got a android device here at the minute too test the apk are you using your version you brought? or the the i uploaded? user on this fourm DIAH first uploaded this file a while ago no one has said it needed a password maybe send diah a pm and see if he knows the password if its needed try 04103
                                        OK I'll install the APK and see what happens.

Thanx again..

Comment

Working...
                                        X