Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial Success Repairing Vertical White Bands on HP Z30i

Hello.

I was given a HP Z30i LCD computer monitor that had several white wide vertical bands on it. I had another Z30i that was working and after a lot of swapping of components I found that the logic board, TCON board and associated ribbon cables were healthy. The problem was the ribbon cables that go from a long slender PCB across the top of the panel onto the panel itself. The problem connection was on the PCB side not the glass panel side. These ribbon cables are attached with some kind of heat set adhesive.

I'm aware that this type of problem usually isn't repairable but nothing ventured nothing gained. I ran a soldering iron, using the standard chisel tip, at low heat across the ribbon cables on the PCB side and found that most of the white vertical bands disappeared, and other bands changed from white to showing picture, however the picture was dimmer than the surrounding picture. I tried again on the dim bands and some of them disappeared and others returned to almost full brightness. I did one more pass on the one remaining vertical dim band and it returned to full white.

I did some digging and found that there is a special soldering iron attachment you can purchase that might work better for this sort of thing. I've attached a picture. I ordered it and tried it out on the remaining white vertical band without success.

I assume I've probably wrecked the ribbon cable or panel now, however I thought I'd ask if anybody had any thoughts if this is still retrievable?

I've attached a picture of the soldering iron attachment and the problem area . The problem is with the two brown ribbon cables attached to the long slender PCBs that wrap around to the glass panel. Although they appear to be firmly attached to the PCB they aren't making good contact. By applying heat to them I was able to change the white vertical band to a dim band that showed picture. One thing I can say, I'm pretty certain I haven't accidentally moved the ribbon cable

I've seen videos of people using very expensive looking heat set ribbon rework stations. That's definitely not in my budget.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Craig.
    Attached Files

Re: Partial Success Repairing Vertical White Bands on HP Z30i

The ribbon needs to be reattached with the propper acf tape, but it would be next to impossible to get it aligned without the proper equipment. look at the videos, even with the equipment and microscope, there is no room for error in aligning the foil to the glass traces.

Comment

Re: Partial Success Repairing Vertical White Bands on HP Z30i

Hello

Thank you for the followup. That is what I was expecting to here.

Comment

Working...
      X