This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi all. I found this forum when I was searching for troubleshooting advice related to my Plasma TV. Looks like some very good info here but will need some additional help.

Comment

I'm Pedro ("Pete") from Lisbon area, Portugal.
      I've been tinkering with electronics since my teens (mid 80's), was a rookie at sony (main repair center in portugal) during 1990, studied electronics engineering, but never graduated, repaired small and medium private phone exchanges for some time in 1997.
      Mainly repaired TVs, VCRs, audio stuff, home appliances, salvaged stuff and whatnot, and many power supplies "inside" and "outside", including PC stuff, recently some LCDs, have replaced countless Bad Caps , though i'd say
      "DEER & aliases" uses Lousy Caps LOL (DEER uses many, many aliases brands), so beware!
      i'm joining for exchange of knowledge, currently i'm trying to salvage a couple laptops (bad boards assumed), which requires a lot of info and tips for some success.
      For all of you who's looking for advice on repairs of flat screens (LCD & plasma screens) start by opening and get to the power supply, many have bad caps after a few years of use and constantly working (even during stand-by, the supply is always working!!)
      Replace with better quality, if possible, but if all you have is "garden variety" electrolitic caps (those cheaper, any electronics store has), it won't last forever (maybe 6 months, 1 year, more is pure luck LOL), so if you like scheduled repairs you're OK ;-)
      Anyways, a working device (even for only some time) is better than that device thrown on the garbage.
      If possible, keep the "troubled" devices while you can, repair is the priority, scavenge for parts is the worst case, which you can exchange, so not all is lost.
      Happy malfunction hunting!

Comment

Hello, I'm new and I have a sharp aquos 52" lcd tv that suddenly became what looks like the Matrix portal. It has what looks like squares of snow in different orientations running down the complete screen. The picture still comes through, but the squares and lines are very much visible as soon as the tv is turned on. Any suggestions and to what it could be? The tv is 6 yrs old and it's model # LCD52D85U

Comment

Hi, I am new and I am from Sebia
          I have high school electronic degree and I am interesting in computer hardware repairing ( something like capacitor, chopper transistor, diodes, ets replacement )
          I am using computers since 1983, first was Sinclair Spectrum and tape recorder, then Amstrad CPC, then Atari ST and Falcon, and nowdays PC

Comment

Greetings,
            I am a long time lurker now new member. I have two year electronic diploma and 28 years working for our telephone company on the inside equipment. Last 15 years on computers, servers and router hardware. I have repaired several bad caps on computers and now tackling some equipment in our server farm. I have about 30 KVM switches with bad caps and other assorted problems. I fixed one; however the next 4 were not successful. I hope the forum will provide hints so I can complete the repairing of these bad power supplies.

Jerry

Comment

Hello all, after some advice for an LG TV hoping you guys can help. Cheers!

Comment

Hi, Caykroyd from Phoenix. I'm an electrical engineer ready to start repairing monitors!

Comment

Hello all! My name is Ben and I am from Georgia. I install security systems for a living. I also have a bad monitor i need some help with.

Comment

Good evening Gents, haven't played with electronics for a long time, have built several computers. Had three LCD TV/ monitors that are dead and decided to try my luck. Fixed one TV so far, bad caps, tried to fix LCD projector- no clue, it was old and obsolete, now on the two more TVs, have to admit this is fun when you can find schematics and advice and parts on line.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                      My name is Will and I like to have a go at electronics. I have no formal training and am basically a wannabe hobbyist. I hope to spend more time applying myself to new projects and have a stack of ideas and unfinished circuits that I just need the time to try out / complete. I hope you will be gentle with me
                      Will

Comment

Morning all,
                        I like to fix broken things, even if not for their original purpose! Mwahaha!!

Sorry,

Anyway, i'm an electronics engineer with a thing for big hammers.

regards,
                        Mac

Comment

Hey everyone,i'm a new member from Nova Scotia,Canada. I stumbled upon this forum while looking for info about capacitors for my t.v. Hope to do a little learning here and pick peoples brains

Comment

Great forum. I've lurked now and then over the years, always great info. Decided to finally sign up!

Comment

Hi,
                              I am a Hungarian fellow who lives in Hungary currently, lived in the US for 20 years. I am an IT professional and it seems like I came to the right place when it comes to finding solutions to LCd monitor problems.

Comment

Hey y'all, jus found this site. I don't sign up for much, but it's always really cool to find cool, knowledgeable people! Thank y'all for creating a great site; there is truly an amazing wealth of knowledge stored & shared here, & from what I've read so far, also a really cool group of people who don't mind helping out when someone has any questions! From what I've read so far (jus stumbling into it) I think y'all have diagnosed the problem I was gonna inquire about (bad t-con board on old Philips 52pfl5407d tv; Thanks for the info! I am not a master of any one trade, but know a little about a lot (as most tinkerers do) from race cars (drag racing) to construction, specializing in electrical work: so if there's ever a question that's outside any of y'alls "box," I will attempt to be as helpful to y'all as y'all have been so far to me. Again, hello, & thank y'all for a really helpful & cool site!

Comment

Hello, bad tv, hopefully I can get help here

Comment

Wotcha, folks,

I'm a software engineer, whose been programming for about 30+ years. Interested in most things electronic but also become quite interested in Arduino - it's simple enough for me to program and use.

Comment

Hello, just found this forum looking for some information on a blinking Toshiba, no screen. I know a bit about electronics though and a software engineer by trade, hopefully can share some useful info in return for theirs.

Michael.

Comment

Hello, name is Barclay... dug a couple of TV's out of neighbors trash and looking to fix them :-) Sure would like to post here one day

Comment

Hello guys. I have a lg w1924s monitor and when i press the on button instead of turnin blue its just blinking for around 15 minutes and then it works ok. Only at start it does this. So what might the problem be? Some ppl said its in fault mode. But it works. Told you guys it does blinking only ( the start button blinks i mean).

Comment

Working...
                                          X