X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Originally posted by BigJon119 View Post
    My name is Jon, but all my friends call me Big Jon. I am a single father with full custody of my little boy who just turned 8. I have been into electronics since I was around 6 tinkering around with old flashlights and taking things apart and putting them back together again. My first computer was a 8088 (the model before the 8086) that was 4 mhz and 6 mhz if you hit the turbo button . I got that computer when I was around 8 and all I had was DOS to mess around with. Now I am a Certified Magento E-Commerce Developer, but am working toward applying to MBA school. I have just started teaching my son electronics and how the components work. Last week we took apart an old printer and salvaged all sorts of great parts including many motors, one which he mounted on one of his lego technics to power it. I am by no means a circuit board repair guy, however I am good at concepts so I can usually figure out things by trouble shooting them. Thanks to this board I successfully fixed a Samsung 52" Plasma that went wild after a flash upgrade. A few years ago I also fixed a 46" projection tv by replacing the convergence chips on it...I didn't really know what I was doing back then, but I figured it out and its still working today. Looking forward to learning and all of the experts advice on here as I am starting to get into circuit boards and repair and am excited about teaching my son a simplified version of how things work.
    Hi Jon,
    did you do soldering with a heat gun from scratch without someone to coach you? How difficult was it? Or did you take the chip using some other method? I have a dead Dell 2000FP which seems to be due to a flash memory chip, which is surface mount some few thousand pins.

Comment

Hello. My name is Nick & I'm from Rogers, Arkansas. I came across this website because I bought my first HDTV last April, and it turned out to be a lemon. I got the Panasonic TC-P50U50 and it's giving me the "8 blinks of death." Hopefully I can figure out how to repair it because I can't afford a $700 bill! Thanks for having me.

Comment

hello I'm j sizzl the beast http://m.reverbnation.com/artist/jsizzl

Just had my 58b550 samsung die on me.I have been on YouTube watching all the plasma TV videos and instructionals and I have gotten to the point where I need to communicate with real people.

Comment

Hi everyone another new guy here. Just trying to learn and maybe get help with my Vizio E321VL

Comment

Hi, jymbo here

Originally posted by wazthatsmell
            got badcaps..bummer
            "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." Ozzy Osbourne. Just a quick note to introduce myself. I'm sixty years young and getting ready to retire from the local Plumbers and Steamfiitters Union here in San Jose, California. I thought I might delve a little into the world of electronics. I think this sight will suit my purposes just fine.

Comment

Hi, jymbo here

Originally posted by wazthatsmell
              got badcaps..bummer
              "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." Ozzy Osbourne. Just a quick note to introduce myself. I'm sixty years young and getting ready to retire from the local Plumbers and Steamfiitters Union here in San Jose, California. I thought I might delve a little into the world of electronics. I think this sight will suit my purposes just fine.

Comment

Hi everyone i am fairly new to to the world of of tv repair, i found this site during a web search for plasma fault finding. I hope i can learn from all your experience. i have a slight knowledge of electronic components, much tho. i can solder and change components im just not great and pinpointing which ones to change.
                thanks in advance

Comment

Hello everybody!
                  I am from germany and occassionaly do repairs on TFTs, Laptops and now TVs also. And so, of course, I have ended up looking for information on badcaps more than once.
                  I hope I can find advice here in the future and maybe help other users fix their problems.
                  And of course I want to start new threads ;-)

Greetings
                  Graf Zahl (I am neither a Nobleman, nor a vampire :-) )

Comment

Hello All.

I'm a now Commodity Manager for a mailing company. Was a Configuration Manager prior to the last 4 years. Mech Eng 15 yrs prior to that. I love to fish, hunt, dive, ride, and just about anything else outdoors.

What I'm not is an Electrical Eng. Reason I'm here looking for some help/info.

Jay

Comment

Hi All
                      I'm from the UK just outside London.
                      Personal interests are, electronic repairs, HiFi (Music),computers.
                      I have used badcaps many times to glean good information.
                      looking forward to being part of the community.
                      RoKsan

Comment

Originally posted by RoKsan View Post
                        Hi All
                        I'm from the UK just outside London.
                        Personal interests are, electronic repairs, HiFi (Music),computers.
                        I have used badcaps many times to glean good information.
                        looking forward to being part of the community.
                        RoKsan
                        Innocence is traded on the road to paradise

Comment

Having problem with my Samsung LCD HDTV and found this site w/ Google. Hoping I can find some answers.
                          Marc

Comment

Hey how it going yall
                            Names Shawn , spelt Shan *caribbean french canadian guy*
                            graduated in computer system and networking technologist(a lot of electronic component work including soldering, and ic chip programing involved)

Also graduated in Auto mechanics technician , because I own a pretty sweet mustang and wanted to go my own mechanical work on it so I went to school and graduated.

Been doing a lot of little project in my free time like lm386 amplifier for RC cars and so on

But i'm no expert among everyone here :P just your normal 27 year old with the personality of a teen at times! (easy going , down to earth, don't take anything personal)etc etc!

Nice to meet you all!!!

Comment

Hello!

I'm Steven from Ontario, Canada - I have a B.Eng in Electrical Engineering but apparently it isn't directly useful in TV repair I just have and know how to use a lot of fun tools.

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

My name is Tim, and I have a problem. Like many of you I have an addition to things that uses electricity.

Anyway just reading a few of the posts here I feel like the young whipper snapper. First computer was a hand-me down i486 in the mid/late 90's. Since then its been onto some dabbling in networking, PC hardware/software repair and generally anything that I can turn on with the use of electricity. I have only recently seen the light and started to repair hardware and not just replace it.

Anyway I hope to learn lots, make a few new friends, and hopefully finally learn how to solder without burning myself as much!!

Comment

My son has an Insignia NS-L32Q-10A LCD TV that after a couple of years of working perfectly started blinking (backlight goes out momentarily) the screen occasionally and then, over time, more and more often.

As for me, I am not a TV tech but I am more than capable of most electronic repair -- certainly capable of board replacement -- and do it all the time. Not as a professional repair tech, just for me and my family after a career as a radar repairman in the USAF.

It's a great little TV and I'd like to get it back to working like it should.

Hoping I'll be able to get some help here and maybe even be able to help someone else as well.
                                  Howard
                                  Seattle, WA

Comment

Hi. I'm here in the hopes in can get a TV working that has died on me.
                                    I have a bit of a background in assembly work. I have built audio amplifiers and cd players, even worked on a high-end mixing desk that was to be rushed to Lucasfilm, presumably to be used on The Phantom Menace. I have repaired digital hearing aids, and assembled mobile phone mast aerials.
                                    However, I may be good with a screwdriver and soldering iron, and working to plans, I'm not so sure what to do with a multi-meter, so please be gentle with me.
                                    Many thanks all

Comment

Hello fellow knowledge seekers. I just registered in hope that the mountainous knowledge base located here could possibly help me repair my Samsung plasma tv. I am an auto mechanic by trade, and a tinker at heart. I like to work with my hands and keep my wallet closed . Needless to say, I think I am a lot like the rest of you. Enough rambling on my part. Thanks. I will be talking with you soon.

Comment

Hey everyone, my name is Brad and I found this great forum to seek some info on fixing my Vizio TV! Look forward to the help!

Comment

Hi all,
                                          My name is Chris, I live in Peoria Illinois and I work as a Senior Systems Analyst. I have always been involved with the software side of computers, but in the last few years, I have been working on maintaining and restoring older systems (HP 9000 300's, Macs, Tandy laptops mostly, with a few relevant servers HPUX and AIX thrown in).

The reason that I am here is obvious - these older systems have a lot of bad caps!

Happy to be here, hope to be of help, sometime.

Comment

Working...
                                          X