Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gigabyte ga-z77x-ud5h unknown value missing cap

hi everybody!

my friend gave me this gigabyte ga-z77x-ud5h, non working condition.
    on the back side of the processor socket, something is wrong...
    something hit it.
    searching the web I couldn't find high definition pictures or schematics or boardview, but i think it's a capacitor that's missing on those yellow highlighted pads in the picture.

we can even see the marks of something circular on the surrounding pads.

so, at this point I'm searching for the value of that capacitor, replace it, and see if there is something else broken on that board.

is there anyone who can help me?

thanks in advance to everyone!
    Attached Files

Re: gigabyte ga-z77x-ud5h unknown value missing cap

i've found a picture...

it seems to be a capacitor...

someone with electrical diagram can help me?
    Attached Files

Comment

It's a multi-layer ceramic capacitor. Probably extra filtering for the CPU core. That said, missing one or two typically will not cause any issues and the motherboard will usually work fine without it. Worst case, if you are missing too many, the board won't start. But no damage will be done - this is for ceramic caps only inside or under the CPU slot. Other ceramic caps on the board can sometimes be very important, depending on the circuit.

Either way, if you really want to replace it, the typical values for those ceramic capacitors under the CPU - at least the bigger ones - is 4.7 to 10 uF. For voltage rating go with 6.3V or up.

I usually replace those ceramic capacitors with spares from other dead motherboards.

Comment

dear momaka, I thank you so much for your technical answer.

I love this side of internet where generosity can be found.
        it really made my day.

I looked for other non-working board, but in the last couple of weeks I had no luck.

I will follow your suggestions, and I will check again if the board is also working without that capacitor...I was careful, but maybe I underestimate other things...power supply, connectors or else.

I don't want to bother you, but do you think that if I put a 4.7uF instead a 10uF or vice versa, I could damage something?

thanks again.

Comment

No, neither a 4.7 nor a 10 uF won't damage anything. In fact, you could solder even a 2200 uF regular electrolytic cap if you like... though it wouldn't quite do what the ceramic does (mainly high frequency ripple filtering), so there wouldn't be much point into putting it there (besides, it will also take too much space behind the board).

In essence, you can put any cap you like in there, or none at all. Neither will do damage, but a proper ceramic may help with filtering power and even prove essential if doing extreme overclocking.

Comment

you're great!

very helpful information...I will try to do some work and we'll see how this board will react..

thanks again...

Comment

Working...
            X