No announcement yet.

Dead A1278 (Early 2011) Macbook Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dead A1278 (Early 2011) Macbook Pro?

Originally posted by Srjh View Post
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I haven't got a good microscope or something to give a detailed image and I still can't see any burned ICs to focus on, but I've attached a few files that might help.

And strangely enough the "burned" pins near the CPU are not PP1V05, but VCORE.

I know CPUs rarely fail, but I'm not sure what else it could be. My guess is something happened to dump a higher voltage into the rail. It could be a cap, but there are a lot of caps on that rail and I didn't think failed caps tested as a dead short.
    Does anyone have a copy of the schematics of this logic board 820-2936-B version, looking for identification of the surface mount round inductor 330 in the first picture. No power on my Mac pro. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rccrasher65 View Post
      Does anyone have a copy of the schematics of this logic board 820-2936-B version, looking for identification of the surface mount round inductor 330 in the first picture. No power on my Mac pro. thanks
      Its L6995 Specs - 33UH-20%-0.44A-0.455OHM

Its the 3V42 Inductor where that voltage is made by U6990

http://www.megafileupload.com/1Fau/L...ic_diagram.PDF
      Last edited by BCConnectionLLC; 06-10-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BCConnectionLLC View Post

Thank you, greatly appreciated.

Comment

BCConnection, would you happen to be able to point out where I can purchase this inductor. Not having much success finding one. I checked Mouser , Ebay Not sure if I know exactly what I'm searching for. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Comment

i rly hate that guy but i must recommend him
            Louis Rossmann
            the last macbook he fix there was no 3.3 and 5v
            Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
              i rly hate that guy but i must recommend him
              Louis Rossmann
              the last macbook he fix there was no 3.3 and 5v
              Lol Louis might be harsh but hes experienced and that matters a lot in this profession.

Best place to get replacement random parts is dead junk boards.

Comment

Thanks, BC

Comment

Lol Louis might be harsh but hes experienced and that matters a lot in this profession.

Anyone have any 820-2936B version dead boards for parts for sale?

Comment

Comment

yes luis is very experienced, but when he have to replace a bga, he still use the lead free solder....

wich component do you need ?

Comment

Ebay has been ok for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                          yes luis is very experienced, but when he have to replace a bga, he still use the lead free solder....

BGA chips most of the time dont fail because of the solder joint under the body of the chip. They fail because of the solder joints under the actual processor wafer/silcon. The small connections that you cant get to.

Comment

When there is a short has nothing to do with balls

Comment

The surface mounted 330 inductor listed in post #22,23,24. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by atsio View Post
                                Wasnt saying it was. Was addressing the comment I quoted

Comment

The surface mounted 330 inductor listed in post #22,23,24. Thanks
                                  u need it because it is broken or becouse it is shorted ?

if it's broken then yes, u need to replace it. if u have short, inductor is good.

for short, diode mode, gnd on metal part of usb, vga ecc ecc and red on side of inductor. if shorted, remove inductor and measure again if shorted. thjat's 3.42volt line that power many component on board. locate a short on that rail is very hard. u need power supply lab, put 3volt max and start from 0.500mah growing on a,d look for heating capacitors or component.

Originally posted by atsio View Post
                                  you are right.

BGA chips most of the time dont fail because of the solder joint under the body of the chip. They fail because of the solder joints under the actual processor wafer/silcon. The small connections that you cant get to.
                                  not properly right. most of the notebook fails are releted to the bad joint under the chip, infact a reflow or reball fix problem.
                                  ofcourse there are chip that are dead, but in that case u will get a shorted inductor.

Comment

u need it because it is broken or becouse it is shorted ?

if it's broken then yes, u need to replace it. if u have short, inductor is good.

for short, diode mode, gnd on metal part of usb, vga ecc ecc and red on side of inductor. if shorted, remove inductor and measure again if shorted. thjat's 3.42volt line that power many component on board. locate a short on that rail is very hard. u need power supply lab, put 3volt max and start from 0.500mah growing on a,d look for heating capacitors or component.

you are right.

not properly right. most of the notebook fails are releted to the bad joint under the chip, infact a reflow or reball fix problem.
                                    ofcourse there are chip that are dead, but in that case u will get a shorted inductor.
                                    Need inductor because it is broken, fell off when I opened up my mac.

Comment

almost any macbook from 2008 going on have that inductor. just look for a dead board near you country. and look for a picture of both side to spot if present or not.

Comment

Thank you for all your help!

Comment

hey i have 1 820-2936-b dead board. how much r u offering for the dead board? txt me if so

Dan
                                          d.ferch@me.com
                                          (805)732-3996

Comment

Working...
                                          X