msi z87x-oc no post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

msi z87x-oc no post

hi, i got this motherboard with bent cpu pins. after replace the cpu socket, pc power on but debug card remain on number 15 (like no ram).

if i measure vdimm voltage, i have 1.7volt withour ram and 1.5volt if i insert ram, so ram should be working.

how can i test if it's a cpu oscket problem (maybe i soldered it wrong ) or it's a other problem?

i reprogrammed bios chip, but still the same.

Re: msi z87x-oc no post

You probably soldered it wrong, or the CPU's memory controller fried.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Do you have all the other voltage rails for the system?
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

ok changed with another socket and still no post . it looks strange since i have soldered plenty of things with my bga rework and all other work were ok.

i got this and another board not working after a socket change. whac can i check to see what is wrong with them ?

Comment

Do you have a schematic for it?
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

nope... no schematic

Comment

Hmm.. all I can think is check all power rails - maybe start with CPU vcore? check VID signals too if that's wrong, check all the main control signals like sm_reset(I think it's called?) etc.

Probably hard without a schematic though. What is the MSI model number (like MS-7166) or such on the board? Might be easier to find a schematic with that.
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
              X