Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recapping MSI 845 PRO

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
    That looks to be on the same level as the Powermind. Those tiny LCZ caps will cripple that PSU. I would put Fcon above HEC in capacitor quality though
    Ok, already looketh.
    Thank you
    Gaming pc:
    nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
    Workshop PC:
    Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
    Server:

Comment

Depends. Allied/Solytech can make some very solid PSU's
      Allied? Nopes for me. Solytech? Deer's new front for "higher end" PSUs. All of them are actually the same company.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      ... if the 12V rail even has a 16A rectifier, that is. I doubt it does.
      Yes, you're right on the dot. Many of these el-cheapo PSUs don't even use decent enough rectifiers.

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
      I do not think that everything is bad XD,
      In my server (a Pentium e2160) has an average of 450w media magic, he broke one fan blade, because the blade does not jam the fan and turned , was working 24/7h for 2 weeks, when I discovered that the fan was not working, the PSU was very hot, but still worked (a lot smelled burnt by the overexertion circuit), I put a new fan and currently works the 24/7h and carries himself four months non-stop, no capacitor bloated!. Take capacitors Micon, not if they will be good, but I take it that overexertion, bad must not be XD.
      leave photos of magic media source.
      in the second photo, two resistances are seen to have been working at very high temperature, the PCB looks obscured.
      Definitely el-cheapo PSU. They don't even have the UL number on the label.

I have a question
      Do anodia capacitors are good? fourth photo.
      If its not any of my favorite brands (like Nichicon, Panasonic, Rubycon, etc), then I would consider them as bad.

Also I did not realize that the silkscreen of the PCB media magic puts atx350w average psu. XD
      I don't think it can even provide 350W at all. Most of these el-cheapo PSUs actual wattage are around 200W to 250W only.

Photos PSU TOOQ.
      Another el-cheapo. This one looks like from HKC (website: http://www.hkcelec.com/ ) from the label layout style.

Comment

It probably has 13007 switchers too which is usually what blows up those el cheapos. You're lucky if you get a 20A rectifier on the 12V for those types of units, and they usually only use a TO-247 schottky on the 5V

Comment

It probably has 13007 switchers too which is usually what blows up those el cheapos. You're lucky if you get a 20A rectifier on the 12V for those types of units, and they usually only use a TO-247 schottky on the 5V
          Most of the time I find el-cheapos use rectifiers rated for 6A, 8A, 10A or 12A continuous current only, even though the PSU specifications on the label shows higher current rating like 8A, 10A, 12A, 16A, 20A or 22A (for the +12V rail)! Sometimes they don't even use any proper rectifiers (the usual TO-220 type) at all, and instead use two fast recovery diodes (such as FR302)...
          Last edited by lexwalker; 07-07-2013, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I know, I hate seeing low rated fast recovery rectifiers I've had good luck replacing them with schottky's though in some cheapos

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              ... if the 12V rail even has a 16A rectifier, that is. I doubt it does.

The burn marks near the controller may indicate that the 5VSB is possibly on its way out. I wouldn't trust that Media Magic PSU for anything newer than a Pentium 3 computer. It's a gutless wonder. Even though it has worked for that long, the ripple it puts out stresses the motherboard capacitors and hard drives a lot. I'm surprised power supplies are that expensive in your country. As far as I know / have seen, you can get similar gutless power supplies for under 15 Euro.
              The source Media magic is behaving like a real champion, is supporting almost 250w GPU, and 100w CPU 2.4 GHZ e2160 OC, and not crashed XD. is supporting a host asus gtx550t because I broke where it was installed, and transfer to the computer server room, and half magic is enduring heavy load. I know this is risky, but currently I have another PSU that supports this graph, the other where it was installed PSU is failing, and I have not currently prosupuesto for a new one, yes that would hold with this when I can afford one in conditions.
              Last edited by kevin!; 07-12-2013, 03:29 PM.
              Gaming pc:
              Workshop PC:
              Server:

Comment

Ultrafast recoveries might not add that much to the heat output if the rest of the PSU is designed well enough.
                Surprised the Fcon made it that long! When I bought a BFG PSU a while back filled with Fcon caps, I used it as it was for about 3,000 hours and then I recapped it. I've never seen Fcon in a voltage doubler
                BFG went out of business in 2010. The "BFG" power supplies that were sold at my local Best Worst Buy were OEMed by Huntkey just like the Dynex and Rocketfish branded PSUs were. I used to have a BFG Branded 450W peak/350W Huntkey power supply (LW-6450HG/V-Power 450 with an 140mm fan, D14SH-12 from Yate Loon). Unfortunately, it had the dreaded +5VSB capacitor failure, the culprit being a 10mm 2200uF/10V Fcon GL (the other 1000uF 10V Fcon GL appeared okay in that filtering stage) with a 3A diode next to it. The diode was hot enough to cause some discoloration in that area. There was no bloating, leaking, or foul smells, but very likely a +5VSB failure, the computer the PSU was installed in simply wouldn't POST until I replaced the PSU with a 300W Hipro (which makes sense - before the PSU failed, the hard drive temperatures were higher than usual).

The PSU was designed nicely otherwise. 820uF/200V CapXon LP primaries, TO-3P 13009 switchers, half-bridge topology, 10A bridge rectifier without a heatsink, 42 size transformer (yes, size 42), STPS2045CT x2 for the +5V rail, STPS3045CT x1 for the +3.3V rail, MUR2020CT x2 for the +12V rail (yes, ultrafasts in parallel), nice and thick heatsinks, 3300uF 10V Teapo SC x2 for +3.3V filtering, 2200uF 10V Fcon GL x2 for +5V filtering, 1000uF 16V x3 Fcon GL for +12V filtering, 220uF 16V Fcon GL x1 for -12V filtering. There was a PI filter coil for every rail including -12V, and two PI filter coils for +5VSB. The small capacitors were a mix of Teapo SC, Fcon GL, Fcon GF, and Fcon KM. It had two AS339P ICs mounted on a separate PCB and a KA7500B IC for monitoring and PWM control. It had dual +12V rails. It never kicked out hot air or even warm air in the time I used it.

My guess about those Huntkey power supplies (along with Bestec and all supplies lacking OPP, I think Unique theorized this as well) is that the problem isn't that they don't have OPP, it's that their OPP is set way too high, which is why they explode when pushed past their limits. It makes sense that Huntkey would set their OPP so high because they lie about their rating so of course OPP is set to be above the "peak" value rather than continuous...

Not to hijack the thread though. Kevin, are you saying the currently PSU installed is failing, if I read correctly?

Comment

No, the psu that is failing is the GPU where above was installed and I had to use the media magic by force: (.
                  sorry my bad english.
                  A photo of the PSU running on the GPU.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by kevin!; 07-13-2013, 03:57 AM.
                  Gaming pc:
                  Workshop PC:
                  Server:

Comment

The PSU was designed nicely otherwise. 820uF/200V CapXon LP primaries, TO-3P 13009 switchers, half-bridge topology, 10A bridge rectifier without a heatsink, 42 size transformer (yes, size 42), STPS2045CT x2 for the +5V rail, STPS3045CT x1 for the +3.3V rail, MUR2020CT x2 for the +12V rail (yes, ultrafasts in parallel), nice and thick heatsinks, 3300uF 10V Teapo SC x2 for +3.3V filtering, 2200uF 10V Fcon GL x2 for +5V filtering, 1000uF 16V x3 Fcon GL for +12V filtering, 220uF 16V Fcon GL x1 for -12V filtering. There was a PI filter coil for every rail including -12V, and two PI filter coils for +5VSB. The small capacitors were a mix of Teapo SC, Fcon GL, Fcon GF, and Fcon KM. It had two AS339P ICs mounted on a separate PCB and a KA7500B IC for monitoring and PWM control. It had dual +12V rails. It never kicked out hot air or even warm air in the time I used it.
                    That does indeed sound like a good power supply, assuming that you recapped it. Size 42 transformer, wow that thing must be huge! I like these PSU's, I have 3 recapped Huntkey's sitting in my room

Comment

After two years, the computer continues to operate without errors, not
                      inflate more capacitors .
                      Bye
                      Attached Files
                      Gaming pc:
                      Workshop PC:
                      Server:

Comment

I didn't know there was a PIII version of 845.

I thought 845s were Pentium 4.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post

The 845 chipset is not compatible with socket Pentium 3, the architectures are different, the Pentium 3 architecture uses single pump, the Pentium 4 architecture uses quad pump.
                          The socket 423 is much like the 370, but different sockets.
                          Bye
                          Last edited by kevin!; 09-04-2015, 08:54 AM.
                          Gaming pc:
                          Workshop PC:
                          Server:

Comment

The socket 423 is much like the 370, but different sockets.
                            Bye
                            Nope, i'ts something like a S478 CPU on an adaptor pakage...

It may look a lot like S370 or even S462 but it's a completely different thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                              Nope, i'ts something like a S478 CPU on an adaptor pakage...

It may look a lot like S370 or even S462 but it's a completely different thing...
                              The socket 423 was a beta socket, Intel launched willamette to compete with AMD K7, and hurried and took this processor without unfinished, without finish Soket, without improve the architecture.
                              CPU therefore has a kind of welded adapter. and the performance was sad
                              compared to AMD K7.

RJARRRPCGP said he did not know it was compatible with the Pentium 3 with chipset 845,
                              and I said, The socket 423 is much like the 370, but different sockets and architecture. Because I think confused.
                              Bye .
                              Last edited by kevin!; 09-18-2015, 09:27 AM.
                              Gaming pc:
                              Workshop PC:
                              Server:

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post

Oops. I was right from the get-go, at least officially.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                X