Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recapping MSI 845 PRO

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
    Hos I bring a small story of a recap of an MSI 845 PRO (rare board), which is swelled a capacitor. Capacitor exploded: G·Luxon 1000μF 6.3v.
    the computer is backup, is working 24/7, mount it 30 days ago, and today I got to open the computer to have a look and I with found this surprise.
    New Capacitor, Chemi-con LXJ 2x 2200μF 6.3V, 1X Chemi-con LXJ 16V 2200μF. (had no others, but these serve.)
    G-Luxon are one of the crappiest around, in my books anyway. I had some which will bloat/bulge itself without being in use at all.

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
    I did not know it was XDDD Codegen brand, do not know much about this brand, but you say it's bad to feel like.
    At least to me to come out decent, it has worked a long time and has never failed me. compared bought a 500w LC cost me nearly $ 76 and only lasted three years without forcing only: (.
    but when can the will substitute for one of higher quality.
    For your information... LC a.k.a Deer, Allied, Solytech, etc (many aliases and brand names) is another crappy PSU brand...

Comment

Originally posted by lexwalker View Post
      G-Luxon are one of the crappiest around, in my books anyway. I had some which will bloat/bulge itself without being in use at all.

For your information... LC a.k.a Deer, Allied, Solytech, etc (many aliases and brand names) is another crappy PSU brand...
      Ok, the next source looketh well before buying one and that is of quality.
      Gaming pc:
      nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
      Workshop PC:
      Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
      Server:

Comment

Depends. Allied/Solytech can make some very solid PSU's

Comment

Really?
          I know from experience that Allied PSUs, the brand that came with their cases, are far better than Deer, but not even remotely great!! Nor would I ever buy one.
          This was over 10 years ago.

I once had a Deer shoot fireballs out the back as soon as I plugged it in. Wasn't even switched on yet. I pulled the cord from the wall, seeing as it was spitting and popping, I wasn't reaching my hand back there! I proceeded to carry it out of the shop with smoke trailing behind it, cord still hanging off the PSU. It was rather exhilarating and somewhat frightening all @ once!
          Being the 1st machine I had ever seen do that. BTW, it was a customer's, not mine.
          How to properly apply thermal grease - Y_not's way.

Comment

Originally posted by y_not View Post
            Really?
            I know from experience that Allied PSUs, the brand that came with their cases, are far better than Deer, but not even remotely great!! Nor would I ever buy one.
            This was over 10 years ago.

I once had a Deer shoot fireballs out the back as soon as I plugged it in. Wasn't even switched on yet. I pulled the cord from the wall, seeing as it was spitting and popping, I wasn't reaching my hand back there! I proceeded to carry it out of the shop with smoke trailing behind it, cord still hanging off the PSU. It was rather exhilarating and somewhat frightening all @ once!
            Being the 1st machine I had ever seen do that. BTW, it was a customer's, not mine.
            As a general rule of thumb their power supplies are not good. Check out this one I posted a little while ago. It's still sitting on my bench ready to recap.
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=1388

And here is a review of it done by Gabe @ Hardware Secrets
            http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/558

His is branded by Rosewill but it's the same unit
            Last edited by Pentium4; 07-04-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I do not think that everything is bad XD,
              In my server (a Pentium e2160) has an average of 450w media magic, he broke one fan blade, because the blade does not jam the fan and turned , was working 24/7h for 2 weeks, when I discovered that the fan was not working, the PSU was very hot, but still worked (a lot smelled burnt by the overexertion circuit), I put a new fan and currently works the 24/7h and carries himself four months non-stop, no capacitor bloated!. Take capacitors Micon, not if they will be good, but I take it that overexertion, bad must not be XD.
              leave photos of magic media source.
              in the second photo, two resistances are seen to have been working at very high temperature, the PCB looks obscured.
              I have a question
              Do anodia capacitors are good? fourth photo.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kevin!; 07-04-2013, 11:10 PM.
              Gaming pc:
              Workshop PC:
              Server:

Comment

With 16A on 12v, that's basically a 250w power supply at best. It won't power anything more than a simple office computer with maybe a video card that doesn't require extra power connectors.

Anodia are average chinese capacitors, not horrible but nothing out of the ordinary. They're not low esr or with high temperature ratings, but that power supply doesn't need any of those.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                  With 16A on 12v, that's basically a 250w power supply at best. It won't power anything more than a simple office computer with maybe a video card that doesn't require extra power connectors.

Anodia are average chinese capacitors, not horrible but nothing out of the ordinary. They're not low esr or with high temperature ratings, but that power supply doesn't need any of those.
                  The file server only serves me, and simple game, I have of leftovers, the gpu that has a GT210.
                  I was curious about this capacitor, it takes 14 years working in as emergency lamp, and continues to work well XD why ask if tend to be of good quality and. unknown this brand XD.
                  Last edited by kevin!; 07-05-2013, 06:37 AM.
                  Gaming pc:
                  Workshop PC:
                  Server:

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm
                    With 16A on 12v, that's basically a 250w power supply at best.
                    ... if the 12V rail even has a 16A rectifier, that is. I doubt it does.

The burn marks near the controller may indicate that the 5VSB is possibly on its way out. I wouldn't trust that Media Magic PSU for anything newer than a Pentium 3 computer. It's a gutless wonder. Even though it has worked for that long, the ripple it puts out stresses the motherboard capacitors and hard drives a lot. I'm surprised power supplies are that expensive in your country. As far as I know / have seen, you can get similar gutless power supplies for under 15 Euro.
                    Last edited by momaka; 07-05-2013, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      ... if the 12V rail even has a 16A rectifier, that is. I doubt it does.

The burn marks near the controller may indicate that the 5VSB is possibly on its way out. I wouldn't trust that Media Magic PSU for anything newer than a Pentium 3 computer. It's a gutless wonder. Even though it has worked for that long, the ripple it puts out stresses the motherboard capacitors and hard drives a lot. I'm surprised power supplies are that expensive in your country. As far as I know / have seen, you can get similar gutless power supplies for under 15 Euro.
                      These themselves are inexpensive, the low average range and are more expensive (the lc cost me $ 71, € 56). quite expensive for what I voucher ...
                      and in the future buy you good sources.
                      Thanks for your advice .
                      Gaming pc:
                      Workshop PC:
                      Server:

Comment

I wouldn't use that in anything unless it had some input filtering added to it.

I've always been under the assumption that Anodia and YC are the same company

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                          I wouldn't use that in anything unless it had some input filtering added to it.

I've always been under the assumption that Anodia and YC are the same company
                          Ok, As spare me some capacitors nippon Chemi-con shall replace the faulty source Anodia.
                          since nippon are lxj which are especial to tolerate much alternating current.
                          Last edited by kevin!; 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM.
                          Gaming pc:
                          Workshop PC:
                          Server:

Comment

Also I did not realize that the silkscreen of the PCB media magic puts atx350w average psu. XD
                            Gaming pc:
                            Workshop PC:
                            Server:

Comment

Nice, those LXJ will be much better!

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                Nice, those LXJ will be much better!
                                Ok
                                Gaming pc:
                                Workshop PC:
                                Server:

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                  Fcon capacitors with 30,000+ hours of use? Wow LOL

P.S. Good PSU brands are Delta, Liteon, Newton, FSP, Seasonic, and PC Power & Cooling - just to name a few.
                                  Perhaps 30,000 hours of use including PSU swaps?? Not saying it's impossible but usually Fcon capacitors fail much sooner than that. Hipro/Chicony save by their choice of capacitors, sometimes fans (and loose fan thermistors as documented by lti), and sometimes average soldering is an excellent brand as well, IMO.

I've seen that happen with almost every Taiwanese and Chinese brand of capacitors... some batches are unfortunately that bad. Their quality just isn't consistent, never has been. I'd still peg G-Luxon a might bit higher than the likes of Fuhjyyu and CapXon. I actually haven't had too much trouble with the SM series from G-Luxon (had two 12.5mm 2200uF 25V and some 6.3mm 1000uF 6.3V capacitors from them in an ADSL modem last 8 years of 24/7 use before failing, and a 6.3mm 47uF, 50V G-Luxon SM startup cap in a Dell 250W Hipro of mine lasted 17,000 hours and 7,000 cycles and even the ADDA fan seizing multiple times without failing). Their other series, like HM and LZ, however, are horrible. I've seen LZ failures all over the place and those HM capacitors fail on the +5V and +3.3V rails (10mm/2200uF/6.3V) even in very old but well cooled Sirtec power supplies. In their place, Teapo SX of the same specification seem to do quite well in those old Sirtecs (they were used interchangeably there with either G-Luxon capacitors or worse).

Nippon Chemi-con LXJ has been out of production for a while now, I think. If by more tolerating of currents you mean the use of quaternary ammomium salts (as denoted by the -55C to +105C temperature rating), they do dry up much slower and are quite a bit tougher than more aqueous electrolyte (which usually has a temperature rating of either -40C to +105C or -25C to +105C in the worst case scenario) whose performance falls off much faster. Back to the Fcon capacitors, it depends on what they're used for. They might be okay in the voltage doubler or as basic decoupling/coupling/bypassing capacitors... I wouldn't trust them for anything more, though.

Regarding Deer power supplies, they are very bad usually, but then I don't really trust any of the cheap Chinese power supplies anyway. And the way I see it, all Chinese and Taiwan or Malaysian capacitors are just flat out bad because they aren't tolerant of heat or stress much if at all due to their lower purity aluminum foil (and cans, such as too much use of copper) or just bad electrolyte.

On the Tooq, the hard disk that tower marked 50.000 O.O, the source is the change because he was hung,
                                  50,000 hours of use?
                                  Last edited by Wester547; 07-06-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Surprised the Fcon made it that long! When I bought a BFG PSU a while back filled with Fcon caps, I used it as it was for about 3,000 hours and then I recapped it. I've never seen Fcon in a voltage doubler

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                      Perhaps 30,000 hours of use including PSU swaps?? Not saying it's impossible but usually Fcon capacitors fail much sooner than that. Hipro/Chicony save by their choice of capacitors, sometimes fans (and loose fan thermistors as documented by lti), and sometimes average soldering is an excellent brand as well, IMO.

I've seen that happen with almost every Taiwanese and Chinese brand of capacitors... some batches are unfortunately that bad. Their quality just isn't consistent, never has been. I'd still peg G-Luxon a might bit higher than the likes of Fuhjyyu and CapXon. I actually haven't had too much trouble with the SM series from G-Luxon (had two 12.5mm 2200uF 25V and some 6.3mm 1000uF 6.3V capacitors from them in an ADSL modem last 8 years of 24/7 use before failing, and a 6.3mm 47uF, 50V G-Luxon SM startup cap in a Dell 250W Hipro of mine lasted 17,000 hours and 7,000 cycles and even the ADDA fan seizing multiple times without failing). Their other series, like HM and LZ, however, are horrible. I've seen LZ failures all over the place and those HM capacitors fail on the +5V and +3.3V rails (10mm/2200uF/6.3V) even in very old but well cooled Sirtec power supplies. In their place, Teapo SX of the same specification seem to do quite well in those old Sirtecs (they were used interchangeably there with either G-Luxon capacitors or worse).

Nippon Chemi-con LXJ has been out of production for a while now, I think. If by more tolerating of currents you mean the use of quaternary ammomium salts (as denoted by the -55C to +105C temperature rating), they do dry up much slower and are quite a bit tougher than more aqueous electrolyte (which usually has a temperature rating of either -40C to +105C or -25C to +105C in the worst case scenario) whose performance falls off much faster. Back to the Fcon capacitors, it depends on what they're used for. They might be okay in the voltage doubler or as basic decoupling/coupling/bypassing capacitors... I wouldn't trust them for anything more, though.

Regarding Deer power supplies, they are very bad usually, but then I don't really trust any of the cheap Chinese power supplies anyway. And the way I see it, all Chinese and Taiwan or Malaysian capacitors are just flat out bad because they aren't tolerant of heat or stress much if at all due to their lower purity aluminum foil (and cans, such as too much use of copper) or just bad electrolyte.

50,000 hours of use?
                                      The G · Luxon and seen all broken ... I can not see or painting. the only ones I fio are Nichicon, Rubycon, Chemicon, Panasonic and Sanyo.
                                      the moment those capacitors LXJ works well without problems, motherboard failure gives no rare.
                                      Yes, 50.000: Or, when I brought the tower to find out what was wrong I stay smart speechless seeing the hard disk, the hard disk has 3 reallocated sectors, but goes well. only caused by a swollen capacitor and preventing crashes is change the source (I made some 30.000h of use), but it works well esque ironic, is mounted on the computer now works great.
                                      Gaming pc:
                                      Workshop PC:
                                      Server:

Comment

Photos PSU TOOQ.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Gaming pc:
                                        Workshop PC:
                                        Server:

Comment

That looks to be on the same level as the Powermind. Those tiny LCZ caps will cripple that PSU. I would put Fcon above HEC in capacitor quality though

Comment

Working...
                                          X