Opinions on converting CCFL to LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on converting CCFL to LED

Good Morning. I wanted to get some opinions from the gurus on this site concerning this subject. I am having a lot of laptops especially Toshiba, come in with busted CCFL screens and the replacements are very scarce. In theory, I know that the conversion even with an adapter cable is not the way the circuit initially works but some shops are saying that their success rate is about 35 percent. Some have also said that repairs done with the conversion are failing after some months.Please chime in and let me know if its working for you guys.Thanks.

Re: Opinions on converting CCFL to LED

As a repair facility this is very time and $$ consuming. Opening those screens, swapping out the ccfl for LED, re-assembling, adding in the LED driver board etc.

Not worth it. Have you tried these guys ?

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/brand/Toshiba/

Good luck

Comment

i use ccfl to led converter cable with high success rate, and none of them came back with any fault.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Laptopscreen.com had no compatible led screens with adapter for my toshiba models only ccfl. You are right it is time consuming. Ccfl screen prices have gone through the roof and from what I have seen it only seems to be the 15.6 screen size. Others are reasonable. What gives here? It seems to be a conspiracy with lcd manufacturers. When most people have moved on to led screens they will be dying to give away what is left.

Comment

i dont understand you guys, what is time consuming_? it is totally 3-4 minutes to disconnecting ccfl and connecting led with converter cable and re-assemble.

Comment

spidey, show us how you do it to enlighten us here in this board... thanks in advance

Comment

ok, i'll take pictures my next conversion. But i can explain, just unplug your ccfl cable and take out old lcd screen, then connect your cable to converter cable, and inverter wires to converter cable's inverter side then plug it to new led screen. thats all, if the inverter side plug doesnt fit to your converter cable then you have to cut the connector and find vin, gnd, on/off and brightness to connect it to converter cable. Did you enlighten ?

Comment

Thanks spidey and others for chiming in on this thread. Please let me clarify myself here as to what was said. It is not the process of installing the led screen and adapter that is time consuming but the whole process that one must go through. Finding a compatible screen from a seller and then crossing your fingers as to whether it will work. It has been said that some of the sellers are not testing the screens for compatibility before they ship them out. Servicers are finding this out the hard way. Some shops I have talked with say that the screen must also be slightly modified in some laptops. Many of them say that the toshiba laptop is the most finnicky of them all and in most cases these are what I am getting because nobody else wants to service them. The other poster mentioned the website above that I checked previously and at that time they had the led and adapter for the toshiba L455D laptop. I rechecked it and they no longer had the led.Like I said what gives? I sincerely hope you can enlighten us here in more detail because right now it seems like a wild goose chase to find compatible parts.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-6-Laptop-...-/130745629489

there is also an explanation step by step how to connect the cable to a led screen.

Comment

Thanks a lot spidey. I ordered one of these conversion cables from a ny seller yesterday. Seeing the price of the ccfl screens I have nothing to lose. I have a led screen laying around that I will try it with. I will let you guys know how it goes.Thanks.

Comment

Ok. I got the cable in today and tried it on 2 toshiba laptops. The first was a L505-GS5038. I noticed that the adapter had a 7 pin connection while the motherboard connection was actually 6 pins. The led screen I have does have some issues but does show some sort of video. I got it connected and it booted up but the screen was completely white. I also had a L455D laying around with a busted screen. It had the right amount of pins at the adapter to connect to so I thought this was a sure go. Hooked it up and absolutely nothing. I saw another video where they were also using another converter in conjunction with the adapter for toshiba laptops mainly. It was said on some of the toshibas that the backlight would not turn on without it. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of these toshiba laptops can chime in.

Comment

Here is an update on this conversion thing.I ordered 2 new screens,2 converter cables and the led backlight converter. The Toshiba model I am working on is the L505-GS5038. The converter cable is a 7 pin connection while the motherboard inverter cable is a 6pin connector. To get it to work you must plug the motherboard cable to the right of the converter cable connector leaving the 1st pin on the left open. If connected starting on the first pin to the left it will short.No power led,nothing. Using the converter cable by itself worked fine for a couple of hours then problems started to occur.Shut the laptop down for the night and woke up the next morning to find the laptop dead.Took apart the bezel again rerouted some things and it started to work again. Got ready to boot again and the laptop would get to the gui and then revert to a black screen. Recalling what someone else said about these toshiba laptops and a led backlight converter I had already ordered it just in case. Put the led backlight inverter into the equation and have had no problems since knock on wood. There is a slight screen flicker but running on full brightness solves that. Maybe one of you gurus has a theory as to why these toshiba laptops are so finnicky. I hope this will help some of you avoid the headaches that I have encountered.

Comment

there is a solution to make it work. cut the cable connector of inverter side. Find vin, gnd, on/off and brightness. just solder them to converter cables inverter connector with the right order. i do this and it works everytime. vin(+9v to +18v depends on the laptop) on/off (3.3v) brightness (you can find it by measuring the cable while adjusting brightness + / - by pressing Fn key with your laptops brightness + / - function key) gnd is ground. at converter cable side vin and ground usually located at the opposite sides with 2 pins. so you must find the others in the middle. good luck.

Comment

also you can find them by checking schematics easily. You just need those 4 pins you dont need the rest.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Would you happen to have a diagram for this laptop or know where I can find one? The info you provided is very helpful.

Comment

what is your mobo model name ?

Comment

Originally posted by Herbssat View Post
                                  Sounds like a plan. Would you happen to have a diagram for this laptop or know where I can find one? The info you provided is very helpful.
                                  Here you have a Inverter Interface it´s from a TOSHIBA Satellite A505-S6025 - QUANTA TW3A - REV 3A.
                                  ENA/PWM usually are separated signals, and VIN =19 volts.
                                  ARRAY_MIC_R, ARRAY_MIC_L are signals that usually are not in this conector.
                                  Also normally are two pins of ground.

Attached Files

Comment

You guys have really jumped in to help. Thanks a lot. My board is a compal nswaa. I was able to find a diagram. Now i have to find the page with the inverter pinout. I connected everything back with the converter cable without the led inverter and it works.
                                    Last edited by Herbssat; 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I spoke too quick. The laptop started booting back into a black screen after the windows 7 gui screen runs.I measured the voltage at the conversion cable connector and it looks like there is not enough voltage there.The backlight turn on is erratic.Voltage at pin 1 =2.5v pin 2=3.3v pin 3 and 4=0v pin 5 and 6=5.1v. I took the same screen out and put in a L455D and voltage in measures 19.1 volts. Works fine for now in that laptop. I could not find the inverter pinout on the compal schematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbssat View Post
                                        I spoke too quick. The laptop started booting back into a black screen after the windows 7 gui screen runs.I measured the voltage at the conversion cable connector and it looks like there is not enough voltage there.The backlight turn on is erratic.Voltage at pin 1 =2.5v pin 2=3.3v pin 3 and 4=0v pin 5 and 6=5.1v. I took the same screen out and put in a L455D and voltage in measures 19.1 volts. Works fine for now in that laptop. I could not find the inverter pinout on the compal schematic.
                                        My board is a compal nswaa.
                                        Any link to compal nswaa?

Comment

Working...
                                        X