Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vostro 3560 (LA-8241P) dead short to ground

Originally posted by caspian View Post
    Now you should discover what else gets hot on the board, including CPU, GPU, SIO, and smaller chips.
    Sadly nothing seems to be abnormally heating up - CPU and GPU heat up in a normal way. I have a feeling the GPU is toast as the board does seem to be POSTing to some extent (diagnostic LEDs OK, responds to Ctrl+Alt+Del etc)
    Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

have you tried the internal screen? Does the hard disk spin?
      Last edited by caspian; 02-06-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
        have you tried the internal screen? Does the hard disk spin?
        I still haven't replaced the shorted diode on the backlight driver circuit (QV3) which is currently empty - would I still see output on the LCD without backlight?

No HDD to test with so unsure if spinning, but I tried an SSD, and there's a brief flicker of the system's HDD activity light but nothing further. Worth noting that there's no USB power, either.
        Last edited by spleenharvester; 02-06-2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

There will be no picture on the screen if QV3's circuit is not fixed yet. I recommend repairing QV3's circuit to connect the internal screen. It may display some symptom that leads to a better diagnosis.
          Last edited by caspian; 02-06-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

These models will not show video if the internal screen is not connected, and emit an 8-beeps code in the speakers. Please do fix the screen circuit and test with internal LCD before trying anything else on it, the board may be good.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

So I just connected up the internal LCD anyway and... oh my god I'm such a moron the board immediately fired up to Windows 10 on external monitor!

Annoyingly I'd already gutted a few other components on the backlight driver circuit so this could be an annoying one to repair... nonetheless, great to finally have an understanding of why this board didn't work

Thanks v much - I may be back!

Comment

Working...
              X