Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI X58 PRO - MS-7522 v3.1 - Identifying solid bad caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI X58 PRO - MS-7522 v3.1 - Identifying solid bad caps?

This board worked fine before it was shut down over night. After 8 hours it booted to no video bios post. After repeated tests it was unable to post video. It would ocassionally turn on and turn off on it's own, then restart/ stay on. No num lock on the keyboard.

The only capacitor that looks odd is the dented one by DIMM #1... Unless you can see something else?

Last edited by chris89; 02-26-2015, 06:59 PM.

Re: MSI X58 PRO - MS-7522 v3.1 - Identifying solid bad caps?

The motherboard uses all Nippon Chemi-con PSC-series solid polymer caps, next to Nichicon's native Lx-series & 'Panasonic/Sanyo OS-CON' the highest quality range of polymers you can get.

But:
    - I see no coolers on VRM & X58 northbridge & ICH10R southbridge.
    - I see no BIOS battery installed.

What is the graphics-card you used to test with?
    What is the PSU? Is it old? Maybe 'badcaps' in it?

Also can you get a better picture of the 'dented' capacitor?

Comment

Originally posted by Clutchbox View Post
      The motherboard uses all Nippon Chemi-con PSC-series solid polymer caps, next to Nichicon's native Lx-series & 'Panasonic/Sanyo OS-CON' the highest quality range of polymers you can get.

But:
      - I see no coolers on VRM & X58 northbridge & ICH10R southbridge.
      - I see no BIOS battery installed.

What is the graphics-card you used to test with?
      What is the PSU? Is it old? Maybe 'badcaps' in it?

Also can you get a better picture of the 'dented' capacitor?
      Sure I'll take a better pic. I removed all heatsinks for cleaning and used new thermalpads for them all. I'll look further into the psu and report back with new pics.

Comment

Here are some better pics

Comment

Can you please check for bend pin in CPU socket?

Comment

I wish my phone had manual focus because it's incredibly difficult to get a clear picture.

The video card works fine in other systems and the psu is fine as well. I replaced this board with an Alienware Area 51 ALX board and it's powering all the exact same components, minus the board obviously.

I reset the bios via battery and via jumper, and there's a bios reset button on the board itself I held with no power or battery in. Is it possible the button could fail stuck in the clear position, or the reset is stuck in position?

Maybe if I can un-solder these components it will work fine. They aren't necessary for operation just for ease sake.

The pins though are all in perfect condition. This board was working fine, then was shut down. Left for 8 hours, no post upon starting again.

Last edited by chris89; 02-27-2015, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I hate this board the more I work on it. De-soldered the clear cmos and it was a nightmare. Installed cpu, memory in A0, pci video card in both slots once per boot, and a BIOS Buzzer Speaker. Boots all LEDS are blue like no issues with the diagnostic lights, cpu gets hot, video card cold, memory cold no beep or anything.

Could it be the dented Cap by ram A1? A0 is the 2nd slot yeah weird design.

This board died while off... Great job MSI.

I'm thinking about chucking this board out the window.
              Last edited by chris89; 02-27-2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah, troubleshooting mobos can be a real pain....

You can replace the dented cap for another quality polymer-cap "560uF 4v" (or at least with 'Nichicon HM'-class electrolytic 820-1000uF 6,3v cap) to try if that is your problem.

No beeps could mean that the CPU fails to 'initialize'.
                Check voltage in&out on all voltage-regulators scattered on the board if you can and try to make sense of it.
                But not on the VRM of the CPU because those are difficult to measure on this board, instead measure voltage VRM-cpu on VRM-input and VRM-output filter caps from the back for easy accessibility.
                This board died while off... Great job MSI.

I'm thinking about chucking this board out the window.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I've exactly the same problem with MSI Eclipse SLI(X58)

Shutdown for a night, then no post video after after 8 hours. Capacitors look fine, only two of them seem very very little bulged but not cracks.

The onboard screen block at VGA with two cards(which works on my second rig) but pass with a three graphic card but always no post. Tested on the three pci-e port.

I think this is a bad capacitor, i'm going to test all of them with a multimeter. If one(or more) is bad, I would change them.

Comment

No. It's not the caps. Those Chmei-con solid caps are almost impossible to kill. Also, you can't usually test them with a multimeter. Most of them have no capacitance or ESR test function. It's probably either bad soldering somewhere or a bad chip on the board.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                      No. It's not the caps. Those Chmei-con solid caps are almost impossible to kill. Also, you can't usually test them with a multimeter. Most of them have no capacitance or ESR test function. It's probably either bad soldering somewhere or a bad chip on the board.
                      "Almost" I change two of them and the motherboard work again. The graphic card was a monster(HD 5970) and kill one of them. But there is no visual damage.

Comment

Working...
                      X