Msi pm8m3-v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Msi pm8m3-v

I did not skip on the tin, as you can see, trying to lower every possible mOhms out...
    If you did not use silver or copper based solder -> bad joke

Comment

RJARRRPCGP -
      Careful! Some of their AM3+ boards are a joke! Where they can fail at more than a 25-to-50 percent load!
      Oh, really? That bad? What fail on them? The CPU VRM?

tmiha71 -
      I did not skip on the tin, as you can see, trying to lower every possible mOhms out...
      If you did not use silver or copper based solder...
      No, OTOH, that is good and valid suggestion. If cou could provide some solder based solder, then please drop me PM, I will supply you with my address where to send it. Every mOhm counts!
      "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
      "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

For desoldering, and I repeat only for desoldering, I use one on the picture
        Attached Files

Comment

For desoldering this will do fine, I quess. But I need something with the silver for the soldering ))
          "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
          "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

For soldering, on every place where current is higher than 0.5A (the only place in PC where current is less than 0.5A is USB :-))...

Could not decide what is better, silver, or copper, got some mixed info, so got mixture of both...
            Soldering with this is a real pain...

Sometimes use this tin for desoldering too, but, only, after the upper tin does not work :-))...

Question about those LE poly's...

Do you have information about self-resonant frequency ?
            What size are they 8x9 or 8x12 ?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by tmiha71; 01-08-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tmiha71 View Post
              For soldering, on every place where current is higher than 0.5A (the only place in PC where current is less than 0.5A is USB :-))...
              No. Let's see- audio, video, signal (data, RAM, control) busses, IDE/SATA, serial/parallel/PS2 ports. Pretty much everything is less than half an amp except the various power traces and buck converters.

Could not decide what is better, silver, or copper, got some mixed info, so got mixture of both...
              Soldering with this is a real pain...
              Especially after mixing multiple solders on/in a single joint.

Question about those LE poly's...

Do you have information about self-resonant frequency ?
              What size are they 8x9 or 8x12 ?
              Irrelevant.

Use 60/40 or 63/37.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

No. Let's see- audio, video, signal (data, RAM, control) busses, IDE/SATA, serial/parallel/PS2 ports. Pretty much everything is less than half an amp except the various power traces and buck converters.
                don't do that , they almost never fail...

Especially after mixing multiple solders on/in a single joint.
                Lil lead don't hurt, as long as there's silver and copper with that

Irrelevant.
                Regarding self resonant frequency, not so. Stumbled on info that for poly's ESL (equivalent serial inductance) is case dependent and fixed /not related to capacitance/ (in same family). Smallest case (8x8) offers smallest ESL -> higher self resonant frequency -> better reaction on transient ->also absorbs transients of higher frequency...

Also smaller capacitance -> higher self resonant frequency -> better reaction to transients...

I like manufacturers with detailed info of their products...

Comment

Originally posted by trodas View Post
                  So this obviously cannot stays like that, because the mobo is starting to shown first unstability issues and crash on load, so, there had to be recap. I also wanted badly to give the mobo back the nice polymers, the MSI marketing striped it off... In short, I wanted to trumph out the advert Because even better that Sanyo Oscon polymers exist - and that are Nichicon LE polymers. So I made my list of ideas, how the recap shuld look like:

9x Nichicon LE 820uF 2.5V d8 493-3058-ND
                  2x Nichicon HZ 3300uF 6.3V d10 UHZ0J332MPM-ND
                  4x Nichicon HZ 1000uF 16V d8 UHZ1C102MPM6-ND
                  16x Nichicon HM 1000uF 6.3V d8 UHM0J102MPD-ND
                  2x Nichicon LE 470uF 6.3V d8 493-3066-ND
                  1x Taiyo Yuden 47uF 6.3V 587-3406-1-ND

However certain things go wrong. The first was, that I managed thru friend to order only the original number of the 1000uF 6.3V caps, 12 of them. I had to improvise and replace the remaining 4 unused before with the Samxon GC caps, witch is similar is quality, tested good caps.
                  At lest I see what caps are new there, lol.
                  However worser was, that the only one d8 caps for 16V was really hi-end elytes Nichicon HZ, but they are out of the stock for months. So, what to do? I had no chance but to press on and thy some improvisation there...
                  And at last I completely forget the little SMD cap behind the AGP slot, witch I indented to replace with ceramic caps, when there is available even 47uF ceramic SMD caps with the little 12210 size!

So the main idea was to get the Vcore voltage filtering on hi-quality level, witch I managed easily by using the best polymers ever produced (nothing beat their ripple current rattings):

But now what to do with the input caps, that are not stock? In the end I managed to squeeze easily in their places (luckily, there is nothing upclose near them) replacement caps, witch I took from my stash - a Panasonic FM 1000uF 16V d10:

Of course I added even the unused one, right after the input coil:

Ram's get a quality Nichicon caps too now, so they cannot complain on discrimination changes:

What I also did miss is the sad look of six empty places, where a good quality ceramic caps should be, so the Vcore will be stable even in extreme situations:

As I mentioned, on the previously unused places I slap the Samxon GC caps:

And the NIC controller must be jumping out of joy, because it got the quality Nichicon LE polymers voltage filtering instead of the G-Luxon crap caps - now this is a jump in quality!

Over on the CPU socket, there come together two important caps. A Nichicon HZ - the best electrolyte caps ever when come to the ripple current (Samxon GA are par to par with it, but nothing other come even close, not even Rubycon MCZ, yet the Man Yue stoped manufacturing them ) and then the Nichicon LE - best polymer ever made:

And at last - overal look on the Vcore regulation - now it look far much better that before!

And the result? Well, the CPU and rams and HDD is working perfectly. The Vcore regulators, with the serious heatsinks, are - even that no fan is blowing at them, yet I removed the serial and parallel ports to get them better ventilated - after a day of work, night of stress test and half day of gaming heardly even warm...!
                  That well shown the fact, that quality caps means lesser temperatures of the components. That was just great. And with stock box fan and no case fan...!

Now just the AGP cap and some of these ceramics...
                  oh well... they are so sexy now

Comment

Hello and nice to meet you in badcaps forum! i want to ask if the board works better now with the 7x820uf poly's on the vrm because the overall capacitance now is a lot higher than before with the 3x680uf OST!

Comment

Definitively much better It run very cool (the VRM part) and entierly stable (except AGP problems, but that is another issue) ...

Definitively a great improvement. But I would be still adding the ceramics and replacing the huge tantal-ceramic cap too. Just to make the board CPU VRM as clean, as possible

Comment

what did you believe cause the agp problem? capacitors or some mosfet problem?

Comment

I replaced all the caps. So it must be either mosfet or connector problem. Not replaced the mosfets yet, simply stoped playing 3D games (hard to do on R9100 anyway) and that fixed it perfectly.

Played a 2D intensive game Diablo 2 for weeks and no crash. Even with the Glide wrapper, that stretch the 800x600 to 1280x1024....

So it is very stable, even using a P4 at 3.4GHz... w/o added better caps into the socket and around it yet. It shoudl be done, but I just did not get around to it yet.

Comment

Nice to see that someone is using a P4M800 chipset-based PC.
                            I have one too,however mine is s478.

Anyways,why don't you try Windows Vista on that PM8M3-V? It runs pretty fast. (at least for me)
                            Last edited by Dan81; 12-03-2014, 11:14 AM.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Windows Vista have too high memory requirments and compared to XP it is slow and locking me from modifying it, so Vista is a big NO-NO for me. Not even Win7 I like, on my NTB I started using Ubuntu - locking me also like Vista/Win7, but still there are modifications possible and it is interesting system.

BTW, still not get around to finish on the CPU VRM and replacing rest of the mosfets for the Northbridge/AGP.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                Nice to see that someone is using a P4M800 chipset-based PC.
                                I have one too,however mine is s478.

Anyways,why don't you try Windows Vista on that PM8M3-V? It runs pretty fast. (at least for me)
                                Vista and 7 are both so slow that they are almost completely unusable on anything less than a C2D with 2GB RAM. The PC has to be a Core i3 with an SSD before I would consider it to be fast.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X