Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern browsers on legacy PC's (Split thread from PSU hall of shame)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modern browsers on legacy PC's (Split thread from PSU hall of shame)

There isn't a huge difference and some of it based on the type of work load, not the raw throughput of the CPU.

Comment

Web browsing with Opera 12.18, maybe the Pale Moon would be an option too. Seems that Presto has troubles with all those bloated Ajax/JS websites. All sites incl. bloated Aliexpress, fleebay and so.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
        Anbyody has some recent experience comparing Northwood and Prescott cores? I've just run into 3.2GHz Northwood so I wonder if it will be actually faster than 3@3.3GHz Prescott.
        For web browsing: whichever has Hyper-Threading. If both have it, I would still go with the Prescott due to SSE3.

The closest comparison I've done is a 2.66 GHz Northwood (533 MHz FSB, no HT) vs. a 2.8 GHz Prescott (533 MHz FSB, no HT) vs. a 2.8 GHz Prescott (800 MHz *with* HT), all from socket 478. The three computers these were in were pretty close in terms of specs: all had 1 GB of RAM, similar model HDDs, and Windows XP.

Between all of those, the last one was a clear winner due to HT.

The only single core CPUs that are still somewhat capable of modern browsing without much lag are the Core 2 Solo chips, AMD Athlon FX-55/57, and the last generation of "high-end" Sempron chips from socket AM2/AM3. An overclocked Athlon 3200+ is still also acceptable. I have one in my test PC overclocked to 2.5 GHz, and it actually runs web pages pretty well.

Originally posted by Drack View Post
        Just build a PC with used parts I have from some pcs I fixed and my old p4 that was giving me troubles, it have 1.5gb or DDR a p4 presshot at 2.8ghz and a Radeon 7000 agp (soon a x1650), now I know what browser to use, btw that 7000 is slow but it's the first ever Radeon so is nice to have it, paid 3 bucks for it.
        If you get a Radeon x1650 with a Realto chip (or for that matter, any Radeon x1xx0, HD2x00, or HD3xx0), make sure to put a small heatsink on it.

The Realto chip is that little one on the back of the video card that converts PCI-E signals to AGP. It runs scorching-hot and is the main cause behind the death of many AGP Radeon video cards. I just got a x1650 Pro and a x800 GTO off of eBay a few weeks ago, and on both, that chip runs extremely hot, even when the GPU runs cool.

Comment

Both have HT so the only difference is shorter pipeline vs. more L2 and SSE3.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Well I have one 2.8 ghz presshot and one 2.66 GHz Northwood, when I have some time I may compare them just putting them at the same speed, and trying to keep ram at 333

Comment

Ahh... having serious graphics driver issues on Linux on my Athlon64 1.8GHz (3000) ... the graphics driver (nouveau) is pooping out causing severe slowdowns... not a CPU speed issue at all.

Don't know, might not be a problem under Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Drack View Post
                Well I have one 2.8 ghz presshot and one 2.66 GHz Northwood, when I have some time I may compare them just putting them at the same speed, and trying to keep ram at 333
                The 2.66 is 533MHz FSB so you'll need to OC that to 800…

Comment

Dual core now are going to oblivion too , the Pentium 5 in fact , if we consider the Icore 2 is Pentium 6 and so on .

The only thing left to do , as the barrier of 4 GB is closed , Cpus crippled , is to enhance old systems with SSD technology .

Comment

Dual cores are perfectly fine for everyday usage, I use myself a e5700 at 3.647 MHz as main PC and a core i3 3110m on my laptop so dual cores are not dead yet and still have some life left specially the wolfdale core 2 and pentiums

Comment

What websites actually use more than 2 cores? On my quad core cpu, firefox barely uses more than 1 core on most web sites, and if any more than 1 core, just a fraction of that core...

Comment

So you don't run OS and 10 other programs? Good for you. The rest of us do.

Comment

The thread topic is web browsers on legacy PCs. We weren't talking about other applications on the computer at the same time, else my quad core CPU could also be insufficient running a web browser. Watch what you're comparing before you make a ridiculous counterpoint.

Comment

I'd expect I know better what I run on my bench PC, but I guess I was mistaken

For the others, ATM there is 7 programs and couple services running other than Opera (and the usual system services).

Comment

Lately, I've had FireFox 24 refuse to load quite a few pages (some simply act as if I am not connected to the internet). Of course, I also keep other versions of Firefox on my systems (right now 4-.x on many of my XP machines), so when needed, I use those. Given that version 51 or 52 (or something like that) is the last one that runs on XP, I am guesstimating that XP probably has 1-2 years more of use on the web with Firefox.... or maybe 3 if we are lucky.

Still, if I make it to 2020 with my XP computers, that would be quite insane.

Originally posted by jiroy
                              Dual core now are going to oblivion too , the Pentium 5 in fact , if we consider the Icore 2 is Pentium 6 and so on .
                              Where I work at right now, we see even 6th gen i5 and i7 show up quite often for recycling - some still working fine. I tried saving a few for use at work, but I gave up now - there are simply too many coming in. And "old" stuff like Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad, no one even cares to look at, let alone touch. It's sad, really.

Every time I say Core 2 Quad is still okay for daily use, my co-workers all laugh at me.

I think the "common" people have simply just lost touch with what one needs - they just want more, because more is ALWAYS better (regardless if they need it or not).

Originally posted by jiroy
                              The only thing left to do , as the barrier of 4 GB is closed , Cpus crippled , is to enhance old systems with SSD technology .
                              That's a pretty good idea. I myself have been thinking about finding some low-capacity SSDs and putting a few in my PCs. Considering I am still going along just fine with the 80 GB mechanical in my main PC, a 64 GB or 128 GB would be quite the upgrade.
                              Last edited by momaka; 05-10-2017, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                And "old" stuff like Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad, no one even cares to look at, let alone touch. It's sad, really.

Every time I say Core 2 Quad is still okay for daily use, my co-workers all laugh at me.
                                For my simple browsing and email needs, Core 2 Duo E8400 works fine running lightweight linux.

I think the "common" people have simply just lost touch with what one needs - they just want more, because more is ALWAYS better (regardless if they need it or not).
                                Sure when you run a whole bunch of useless startup apps full of bloatware, the latest CPU is likely required.

I myself have been thinking about finding some low-capacity SSDs and putting a few in my PCs.
                                I bought a couple of used 30GB and 60GB SSDs for $5 and $10 respectively. Both still have 100% health life according to their apps. My linux distro usually takes 5GB or less.

I just love using lightweight software even if I had the latest Intel CPU.

I have given away all my P4s a couple of years ago. They run any lightweight distro fine, but given the distros leaving 32 bit behind, the P4 days are numbered.
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  Lately, I've had FireFox 24 refuse to load quite a few pages (some simply act as if I am not connected to the internet). Of course, I also keep other versions of Firefox on my systems (right now 4-.x on many of my XP machines), so when needed, I use those. Given that version 51 or 52 (or something like that) is the last one that runs on XP, I am guesstimating that XP probably has 1-2 years more of use on the web with Firefox.... or maybe 3 if we are lucky.

Still, if I make it to 2020 with my XP computers, that would be quite insane.
                                  Hi Momaka; In the last few days , FireFox Mozilla is refusing to integrate the Java Runtime for applications . Why ? , I really don't know , but anything demanding Java will encounter blocking on Mozilla . Maybe it's the cause of your troubles .
                                  One recent example , is checking "Automatic Graphics Drivers " from Nvidia ..

Where I work at right now, we see even 6th gen i5 and i7 show up quite often for recycling - some still working fine. I tried saving a few for use at work, but I gave up now - there are simply too many coming in. And "old" stuff like Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad, no one even cares to look at, let alone touch. It's sad, really.

That's not fair ... Really . On PassMark Site , a Core2 Quad 6600@ 2.4 Ghz is ranked 2974 , actually , higher than some low end Icore 3 and even 5 !!..
                                  Just show them the site and let them judge ..

That's a pretty good idea. I myself have been thinking about finding some low-capacity SSDs and putting a few in my PCs. Considering I am still going along just fine with the 80 GB mechanical in my main PC, a 64 GB or 128 GB would be quite the upgrade.

Even if recertified it's not bad , considering prices ...

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                                    Hi Momaka; In the last few days , FireFox Mozilla is refusing to integrate the Java Runtime for applications . Why ? , I really don't know , but anything demanding Java will encounter blocking on Mozilla . Maybe it's the cause of your troubles .
                                    One recent example , is checking "Automatic Graphics Drivers " from Nvidia ..
                                    I think the issue is related to outdated security protocols. I first started seeing this same error in older versions of IE way back, then in Opera 10/11 a few years ago, and now Firefox older versions. Newer versions, I have no problem with. And I can replicated the issue on different computers with different hardware.

But I will look into that. Not sure how related this may be, but I don't have Java installed on any of my computers anymore.

That's not fair ... Really . On PassMark Site , a Core2 Quad 6600@ 2.4 Ghz is ranked 2974 , actually , higher than some low end Icore 3 and even 5 !!..
                                    Just show them the site and let them judge ..
                                    Exactly! That's what I've been trying to tell everyone, but no one listens. The people I work with are mostly young folks in their 20's, and they have no appreciation for anything old, even if it is better.

The only exception to that is the keyboard I put on my desk, which is an old Dell QuietKey SK-8000. Everyone mistakes it for a mechanical, but it is actually a rubber-dome keyboard that is just made very well. I saved it from our recycling, as I just couldn't stand the crappy cheap flat keyboards we had in the shop that had absolutely no depth to their keystrokes. I couldn't type for $%^& with those.

Even if recertified it's not bad , considering prices ...
                                    Yeah, I don't mind getting used stuff at all. I guess I will have to hit the 'bay sometimes and see what is out there.

Comment

jiroy:

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/firefox_java.xml

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurerelea...ns-in-firefox/

I run Firefox 52 ESR 32bit myself to get around it
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Been playing with that Pale Moon for a while, many bloated sites like my webmail or fleebay seem to run almost normally in that. That's while running Opera 12.18 simultaneously for other websites all on that 3@3.3GHz 478 Prescott

I enhance my speed with 15k enterprise hard drives for some time now. If you don't mind the noise and consumption, they have way better price per GB ratio than SSD and still offer signifficant speed boost over ordinary SATA (let alone UATA) drives. You can get SCSi controllers, cabling and drives almost for free these days, and prices for used SAS HW also decrease steadily.
                                        Last edited by Behemot; 05-11-2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                          Thanks ...

Comment

Working...
                                          X