X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG 65UH5500 Momentary Flash Of BackLights

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
    Ohmigod!!! Ohmigod!!!

In an effort to confirm once and for all that the LEDs are not the problem, I hit on the idea of taking each pair of wires off of the DRIVER connector and place them on the DRIVER board one pair at a time..

Each pair gave me the same thing.. An LED strip/area came on then flashed off... So, that told me that the LED array is NOT the problem..

After I had tested the last pair, I put them back into the connector and then plugged the connector back into the DRIVER board...

Powered up the TV and, I'll be at some beach, the LEDs came on and stayed on!!!!

I thought to myself, I said, "Self!? Well, ya fixed the LED issue, but you still don't have an display.."

And, some beach again, I sure had a display!!!???

Apparently, it's all linked together.. You can't have a display if the LEDs aren't coming on and staying on...

So, not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I am gonna count this one as a win!!

Thanks again to all who helped out...
    That is good to know about these newer Samsung that it links the Video circuit to the backlights circuit, it still does not make sense why they need to to do that.. I also wonder if what they did is to kill the switched 12V to the T-CON if the backlights circuit fail. I usually see they kill the PS-on OR BL-ON if there is problem with backlights.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
      That is good to know about these newer Samsung that it links the Video circuit to the backlights circuit, it still does not make sense why they need to to do that.. I also wonder if what they did is to kill the switched 12V to the T-CON if the backlights circuit fail. I usually see they kill the PS-on OR BL-ON if there is problem with backlights.
      Hope it's not a trend... Makes it that much harder to diagnose..

Comment

Well, I guess it WASN'T "fixed" after all..

After two days of sitting, turning on and off occasionally to admire the awesome graphics, the TV shut off and is now doing the same thing... Power up, get a flash of the LEDs and then they shut off and no display... And the TV cannot be turned off

Something different now, though. When I put the NEW Main Board in I had purchased and power up the TV, the TV stays off.. I push the power button and the power LED blinks, the LEDs come on bright, then dim then shut off and the TV turns off... Solid LED on the power light.. I push the power button and the power LED blinks a couple times, nothing happens on the backlights and the power LED goes back to steady...

This TV is simply too nice of a TV to give up on..

Comment

Received replacement LED DRIVER BOARD....

Same problem...

As much as I don't want to, I am thinking I have to pull off the display panel and access and check the LED strips directly..

NOT looking forward to that...

Comment

OK, got in the shop about 0200 and prepped the table to break down a 65" LG to the bare LEDs...

Wasn't fun, but I did get to use my handy dandy Harbor Freight Suction handles.. I had a friend pick me up a pair of the single suction ones. I had actually wanted the dual suction for less concentrated stress...

The single ones worked like a champ.. Was able to lift off the panel with ease and no major warpage..

So, that part of the surgery was a success..

OK, so I discover that a set of 4 LED strips are not coming on... They are linked to the DRIVER board all on the same paired connection. So I am immediately thinking a bad wire pair.. Especially since I check each strip with my LED power source and they all work.. Or so I thought...

So, after an hour of fiddling with the pair of wires, crimping here and testing connectivity there, I am stumped...

I figure, why not put that strand on a different set of LEDs and see what's what. Well, the wire pair worked fine on a different set of LEDs... So, that tells me the wire pair is fine..

So, I go back to thinking bad LED strip.. I start swapping out each LED strip (there are 4) to a different area of the array... First one I swap out, THAT set goes dark and the original set is fine.. Just to be sure, I test the other 3.. They are all good..

So, I am left with the only logical conclusion that I have a single bad LED strip.. Test it with my LED PS and, sure nuff, it's bad... Only thing I can think of is my brain hadn't fully woke up...

So, anyways, a replacement LED strip would be $60 and a week away... This 4K TV is obviously work another $60 outlay, but I don't want to wait a week.. Tear thru all my LED strips ( I have a ton of them) and find a similar one with similar LED positioning...

Hook it into the array (had to do some jury rigging) and 'viola!!

One each-type working LED Array!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Got an update on this tv?

Comment

Originally posted by dibsrepair View Post
                Got an update on this tv?
                Yea, and it's a sad story...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70131

Comment

Ground the fail pin and turn the tv on

Comment

Have an LG65uh5500 same issue. If you disconnect the connector from the led driver board to the main board and connect your meter lead to one of the 80vdc connectors on the psu then reconnect the mainboard plug the tv in the psu momentarily flashes the 80vdc then returns to the lower,in my case 63.5vdc. I am wondering if the mainboard is seeing a defective led and returning to standby voltage. Also the led strips momentarily flash on on first powerup.

Comment

Though this thread is a bit convoluted, a momentary flash of backlights on a LG LED tv is a symptom of bad and failing backlights. You can confirm with a LED tester or watching them flash with the panel removed. I would do a full replacement of all strips.

Comment

100% agree, as replacing just the affected strip means the next one will fail weeks later.

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
                        Though this thread is a bit convoluted, a momentary flash of backlights on a LG LED tv is a symptom of bad and failing backlights. You can confirm with a LED tester or watching them flash with the panel removed. I would do a full replacement of all strips.

Comment

Do you have to remove the scan drive boards at the bottom of the tv to access the backlights.

Comment

https://youtu.be/5ir7mXun8KU

Comment

Found one bad backlight strip. replaced and tested all the backlights reassembled TV same issue. Any suggestions

Comment

GND the fail pin and turned the TV on same issue. Momentary flash of the backlights and the tv goes off.

Comment

You probably still have a bad led or a bad connection. I always turn on the tv with the panel disconnected to check the backlights before reassembling.

Comment

Would have to be a bad connection checked all the strips before reassembly. any other suggestions??

Comment

Could be a bad connection, here's a reset to try:
                                      Press and hold the Volume Down button and don't let it go.
                                      Now, press and hold the Power key while holding down the Volume Down button.
                                      Keep both keys held for 20 seconds or more.
                                      When the logo appears, release both keys.

Comment

These lgs have a pretty bad rep, just been reading where people replaced every board and strips with no luck, a few but not most had success with baking or heatgun reflows.

Comment

Where is the main filter cap you are talking about on the ps bd?
                                          Last edited by Pitoniak; 01-22-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X