Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to replace nec/tokin OE128 in laptop motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to replace nec/tokin OE128 in laptop motherboard?

Thanks for your info atsio, before i solder the new tokin (oe907) i was measure about 1500 mf, its this correct? i think must be about 900 mf

Comment

The 907 is 900mf and 1.5mohm esr

Comment

well , let see the facts here , NEC tokins are weaker than SMD regular electrolitic capacitor , since the size of the nek toking is bigger and the contacts are under the component you will need to give more heat to have a proper solder part. whatsoever will dry fast the chemical compound inside the NEC tokin . best thing to remove TOKIN as well (you could think this guy is crazy , but nek on the lab here are removed in less than 20 seconds . and removed with a sharp blade and board is intact , we remove solder , we scratch a line on the center (negative for we can avoid putting the capacitor diagonal , like this they stay like this (horizontal)

|------------|
        | ~~ ~~ |
        | ~~ ~~ |
        |------------|

this overall job take me around 10 min maximum for each NEC (working slowly) and never had any that came back for that problem after intervention .

Alltough before i was adding NEC , and was using reball station to heat the board and when the solder was on the fusion point , we would drop the component on the solder and we shut off the machine , but some machine came back after 9 month with same problem , so i stoped using this NEC since like Th3_uniqu3 mentioned they will dry internall due to excess temp caused by cpu and/or NB .
        Last edited by highpulse; 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM.

Comment

well stupid image i created not getting right , dont know why . but i think its understandable

Comment

Originally posted by highpulse View Post
            well , let see the facts here , NEC tokins are weaker than SMD regular electrolitic capacitor , since the size of the nek toking is bigger and the contacts are under the component you will need to give more heat to have a proper solder part. whatsoever will dry fast the chemical compound inside the NEC tokin . best thing to remove TOKIN as well (you could think this guy is crazy , but nek on the lab here are removed in less than 20 seconds . and removed with a sharp blade and board is intact , we remove solder , we scratch a line on the center (negative for we can avoid putting the capacitor diagonal , like this they stay like this (horizontal)

|------------|
            | ~~ ~~ |
            | ~~ ~~ |
            |------------|

this overall job take me around 10 min maximum for each NEC (working slowly) and never had any that came back for that problem after intervention .

Alltough before i was adding NEC , and was using reball station to heat the board and when the solder was on the fusion point , we would drop the component on the solder and we shut off the machine , but some machine came back after 9 month with same problem , so i stoped using this NEC since like Th3_uniqu3 mentioned they will dry internall due to excess temp caused by cpu and/or NB .
            It was working allright for six and maybe more years and after you've replaced it, it came back in 9 months?

Comment

The soldering process at the factory is different from the reworking process - the peak temperatures are higher and the soldering time is tightly controlled so as not to burn any components due to the higher temperature.

If you have access to a really high-end BGA station, you can replace with same nec/tokin capacitor no problem, but for the rest of us, 4x regular 330uF tantalums is the best long-term solution... Plus the tantalums can be had for free from scrap boards.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

ATsio pig costumers (machine after usually 8 9 month are full of dust and no ventilation possible , unfortunetly for them and good for me .

With the SMD capacitors , they dont come back for this issue .
                (so for what i can see this is due to overheat problems drying out the chemical inside the nek between the plates

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                  Yes you can and I can tell you how.
                  That NEC Tonkin cap its foe CPU voltage.
                  If you disable from device manager in SAFE MODE the second core from the CPU it will run normally until you repair it but less performance from you laptop.
                  Good luck
                  Hi DJ_Ricoh, hitmen, Thank you for your inputs. I am having the exact same problem and I was going crazy and then I landed into this post. I specifically signed up to thank you all !

Comment

Hello,

I am new here, so i can't open a new topic.
                    I've removed the NEC tokin in my A300 notebook. I installed 4 330u 6.3V caps. Before the replacement i measured the polarity of the caps on the C28 (nec tokin) with multimeter in diode/continuity test. The meter was beeped. When i removed the cpu from the socket, the beep stopped immediately. Did i kill the CPU with the multimeter? Later i started the motherboard without cpu the new caps blown to my face. The voltage on the CPU vcore was 13V!!!!

Them motherboard is P10S.

Thanks,

Comment

I'm writing just to thank all the people at badcaps for all the information
                      about the NEC TOKIN and to confirm how replacement worked for me.

I removed the old cap with a scalpel.

I had shutdown problems with an old Toshiba A200 Satellite and after
                      trying all the usual solutions (checking for possible problems with virus,
                      installed software, power settings, hard disk,overheating etc.), I finally
                      found the unbelievable (to me at the time) number of people having
                      problems with the NEC TOKIN - after finding the initial threads about
                      the problem on the badcaps webpage.

Initially I was going to replace the TOKIN with other tantalum capacitors
                      but was unhappy with the idea of again using tantalum capacitors with
                      their inherent weaknesses , so I opted for polymer aluminium.

I must say that even after doing a butcher job of the soldering (with no
                      flux / old solder and quite a bit of heating to achieve proper wetting and
                      too much solder), I have a laptop that has now been working without
                      battery (used as a desktop) without problems for over 4 months.

The caps I used were polymer aluminium capacitors:
                      https://industrial.panasonic.com/ww/...acitors/sp-cap
                      - I think it was the LX series 330uF, 2000hrs, ESR 4.5 mOhm

If I were to do it again, I would search for a can style polymer alu cap as
                      the one I used had the output pins a little awkwardly placed for soldering
                      over two parallel traces (was afraid of shorts).

Comment

is there any alternative capacitor for OD108? please help me. thanks

Comment

watch this video
                          MSI CR400 NO DISPLAY | NEC/TOKIN REPLACEMENT
                          https://youtu.be/qDALmu7vews

Comment

Working...
                          X