Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Directly replacing NiMh cells with Li-Ion cells - bad idea ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Directly replacing NiMh cells with Li-Ion cells - bad idea ?

chinese SZN's
    nothing wrong with SZN's, but the asshole i got these from had soldered to them and damaged a couple of the insulator rings.
    so i was suspecting problems from the start!
    out of 6, i'm down to 3 - just testing.
    2 had case damage, one tried to go thermonuclear.
    the other 3 charged o.k. - now i wait a few days to see if they hold.
    if they do then i'll do a discharge test to check capacity.
    i'm not confident though - i think they guy fucked them when he soldered to them.
    Last edited by stj; 02-05-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      i suspect this is the type of repair shop that would re-use the solder if they could.

But then they can advertise they are an Eco/Earth-friendly shop.

Comment

Then there's the irony of reusing lead solder for being eco-friendly :o

Sigh. I wish it were easy to make all the waste solder I have back into wire, I sure would reuse this solder for noncritical uses... solder is solder, just need flux!

Comment

you can put it in a solder-pot for tinning wires.

Comment

Just purchased new cells for my colleague...even higher capacity, even higher price...this is going well - at this rate he'll get fired These are pink "Unicell"...cells with a rating of 4200mAh apparently - that's what the chap at the store told me.
            The vac says 14.4v on it, so we can work this out: 4 3.7v cells would indeed add up to 14.8v.
            Wattevah...

Comment

you dont have a Liitokala Lii-500-Engineer there do you?
              you should if using lion batteries, they cost under 20€

then you could analyse them, because you know damned well the highest capacity yet acheived is 3600mAh

Comment

Pfft...the joint barely has enough light fixtures Ancient fluorescent sh!ts that buzz my brains out the whole 9 hours continuously (! !) so a device like that would be completely superfluous and would only see use just this once probably...if that Though I'll probably get one myself, why not - good idea
                Wattevah...

Comment

they are very handy.
                  https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%...-500%20UK.html

Comment

Wa-wait - what's that I hear behind me ? It's the sound of the vac trying to come back to life with the new cells but not charging...followed by my super skilled colleague's obligatory "f-s" and *insert whatever curse word you can think of here*

So once again, it appears to run, but the LED on the dock doesn't light to indicate it's charging....could be because the higher voltage of such cells indicates the unit doesn't require charging...there's 4 terminals on the back of the handheld portion, so GND, VCC, NTC (?) and SENSE (?)...just a hunch...

I just about heard him mutter "15v" when measuring the voltage on the batteries, because that's another thing that's really "cute" about this guy: he mutters all his thoughts, so you can follow along at your desk and go head to head in fixing something - not very good at keeping secrets Aaanyway
                    Last edited by Dannyx; 02-07-2019, 06:36 AM.
                    Wattevah...

Comment

maybe the charger is fucked from last time.

Comment

I snapped some pics of the thing today. Here's the batteries I got this time that my boy put in and also a close-up of the IC that's in there...had to do it rather on the sly so unfortunately the model is not visible, but the point is it HAS some pretty advanced tech in there. It probably handles charging and motor speed control. It's an Electrolux ErgoRapid or something like that, forgot to mention for anyone who might be interested...at least that's what it says on the outer case - I don't know the exact model because I didn't bother.

The green Samsung cell is what he attempted to use the first time when it failed.

I actually got it wrong: the charge circuit is built into the handheld part, as you can see, but the LED I was talking about is at the top of the handle which you use for converting it into an upright vac for the floor. This whole apparatus then slips into a dock which does nothing but connect the wall adapter to the handheld portion which has the 4 metal shims I mentioned and handles the charging internally. The LED on the handle now comes on as well when docked...apparently, according to him, someone had been inside before they brought it back in and they had messed up some wires or something along those lines. Either way, it looks like the problem's solved - at least partially...we'll see how long it lasts this time.
                        Attached Files
                        Wattevah...

Comment

So the charging Voltage for 4 cells is about 16V, is that the charger putting out? He should also monitor the charging current.
                          https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._with_voltages
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

that chip looks like a charge controller - there is no way in hell it will touch those cells!!

the green cells arent bad - lets not speak about the ultra(fire) ones!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                              Either way, it looks like the problem's solved - at least partially...we'll see how long until it catches fire and burns down the customer's house.
                              FIFY!

Originally posted by stj
                              lets not speak about the ultra(fire) ones!

BTW, I just saw it in the news today... a second person here in the US died from those vape pens / e-cigs. Apparently battery exploded and shrapnel cut an artery in his neck. Not that anything like that might happen with this vacuum cleaner, as the customer won't be wearing it in their pocket or have it near their face. But still, it goes to show that Lithium batteries can be dangerous if not designed to charge/discharge properly or are of poor quality.

Originally posted by Dannyx
                              ... because that's another thing that's really "cute" about this guy: he mutters all his thoughts, so you can follow along at your desk and go head to head in fixing something
                              I think that's an age-related thing. My grandmother often does it too.
                              Heck, even I've done it a few times if I didn't talk to anyone for an entire week.
                              Last edited by momaka; 02-08-2019, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Best case scenario, the controller will just shut off or act in some way to prevent catastrophic failure...
                                Wattevah...

Comment

The wall adapter puts out 20v at 200mA. I just had a peek for curiosity's sake and I also heard him saying the pack reached around 16v or thereabouts and the LED was still on and apparently charging - probably in "trickle charge" specific to NiMhs....not sure if LiIons like to be trickle-charged. I've read they're topped up to full capacity (let's assume 100%), then the charge is cut off entirely and they're only topped up as necessary (let's say when they fall back to 90% or less), while NiMhs are kept on the charger even when full, at least based on some online resources and I imagine this may vary with charger design. This one looks pretty smart...
                                  Wattevah...

Comment

too bad we cant see the number on the chip.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      too bad we cant see the number on the chip.
                                      Should I seize another opportunity to sneak a peek at it, I'll post back undoubtedly.
                                      Wattevah...

Comment

Why are you playing with fire

Just put in a BSM board for the right battery voltage and right type of battery and use right type of charger

And be done with it and be safe about it

I think you like to play with fire
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply
                                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

It's not my project since I know this stuff fairly well. Tell that to my super stubborn workmate and see what happens
                                          Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                                          X