Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 13-s150sa Not Booting

Hi there,

I have one of these laptops which will not POST and shows no display either on it's own screen or on external screen. I've checked all the inductors and they all have correct voltages, but the PL4801 (Blue arrow) is stuck on zero volts.

The 81382 20DG chip (Red arrow) feeding this inductor. The input of this chip is 10V, the output is 0V, and the PWM pin is 0V / 0Hz.

As a comparison, the other 81382 20DG (Orange arrow), has input of 10V, output of 0.8V and PWM pin is 0.4V / 600KHz.

I have injected 0.8V in to the PL4801 inductor and there does not seem to be a short on that rail.

Does anybody have a schematic for the motherboard which would really help? Motherboard is Fauchon-SKY MB 14265-1 448.05H02.0011

Thanks to anybody who posts.

Re: HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 13-s150sa Not Booting

Connect dc power supply from port se if it shows short

Comment

Theres no schematic available . Heres Links to the NCP81382 datasheet and someone who had the same problem over on *******(he never fixed it unfortunately) ,and bios/kbc dumps on vinafix, i can`t find any free dumps.

http://*******/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=63742

https://***********/threads/hp-pavil...14265-1.22233/

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...1990e1ecf9.pdf
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

A wild guess but I would say this inductor is for VCCGFX. Usual cause for it to be missing is the BIOS doesn't run or is stuck. One thing to try is to flash the BIOS. Also make sure the display is working and plugged in properly, and that the RAM is ok.
        That's given you have CPU VCore, but you said all the other inductor have voltages. It would help if you can list all voltages and point to the related inductor.
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I did inject 0.8V in to PL4801 is and it pulled only 200mA (with the current limit set to 1000ma!), so I dont think there is a short. I'm not sure what the voltage is meant to be so I don't want to inject any higher voltage.

SMDFlea, I did actually find that site and translated it. From what I read that guy swopped the two NCP81382 chips and the board displayed the exact same characteristics, indicating that it was not an issue with either of the NCP81382 chips. And like you said, he didn't seem to get a resolution either.

Piernov, I will take a picture of the entire board now and show all the voltages that are present so that you can see for yourself. I'll upload in a few minutes. But I thought once the 3.3V and 5V rails were good, then the BIOS was good.

Comment

Okay, here are the voltages on each of the inductors.

Comment

Olá,

Já procurou o datasheet do 81382 20DG?
              Por ele verá que é preciso uma tensão de alimentação e também uma tensão de habilitação no pino 36.
              Se tem entrada e habilitação, mas a saída é 0V troca o chip 81382 20DG
              Se não tem a tensão no pino 36, o próprio 81382 está matando a entrada no 36, ou o Super I/O ou o PWM responsavel não está fornecendo a tensão de habilitação.
              O outro 81382 seta laranja, tem a tensão de habilitação no pino 36?
              Se não tem curto-cirquito, faça uma ponte provisória (de um componente ligado a este pino 36 para um componente ligado ao pino 36 do outro chip)para o pino 36 do 81382 com seta vermelha e veja se há alteração.
              Ou então, veja qual o valor da tensão de habilitação pino 36 do chip seta laranja,e injete a mesma tensão no pino 36 do chip seta vermelha.
              Espero ter ajudado...
              Last edited by Marcelo Ludwig; 06-17-2018, 11:19 AM. Reason: O texto traduzido pode não corresponder com o escrito por mim.

Comment

The Translation of the above. My Portuguese is not what it used to be, but Google's seems to be still pretty good

"Hello, Have you looked for the datasheet of 81382 20DG?
                For him he will see that it takes a supply voltage and also an enable voltage on pin 36 if both exist and yet the output is 0V exchange chip 81382 20DG
                If it does not have the voltage on pin 36, the 81382 itself is killing the input at 36, or the Super I / O or the PWM in charge is not providing the enable voltage.
                Note that the other 81382 has the enable voltage on pin 36.
                Since there is no short in the cir- pic, make a temporary bridge (from one component attached to this pin 36 to a component connected to the pin 36 of the other chip) to the pin 36 of the 81382 with red arrow and see if there is change.
                Or, see the value of the pin enable voltage 36 of the orange arrow chip, and inject the same voltage on the pin 36 of the red arrow chip.
                Hope this helps..."

Comment

Opa!!!
                  Obrigado pela ajuda...
                  ficou bom.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanAnon View Post
                    Piernov, I will take a picture of the entire board now and show all the voltages that are present so that you can see for yourself. I'll upload in a few minutes. But I thought once the 3.3V and 5V rails were good, then the BIOS was good.
                    Unfortunately it's more complicated than that. But anyway, a corrupt BIOS may prevent the computer from POSTing.
                    As for the voltages you measured, I may be wrong but I would guess that on the left side, top inductor is VCCGFX (iGPU core voltage), middle ones are 2 phases for CPU Vcore, bottom one is PCH core voltage (the smaller die on the CPU package).
                    On the right side, the top one may be battery charging voltage, the 2nd one is DDR voltage, and the bottom ones are the main 3V/5V power rails.

Since CPU VCore is around 0.85V, this would mean it's actually running properly (it's regulating its own voltage to lower it) and the BIOS starts to run. Try to see if an operating system is booting.

Comment

Okay I've checked the enable pins on both 81382 20DG chips and they are both 5V.

I don't have a BIOS reprogrammer unfortunately, I might try to either buy one or see if I can get my raspberry pi to do the job.

Comment

Okay I've checked the enable pins on both 81382 20DG chips and they are both 5V.

I don't have a BIOS reprogrammer unfortunately, I might try to either buy one or see if I can get my raspberry pi to do the job.
                        Get that bios chip out and battery then put back in after 5 min

I seen a video guy does that and it worked dont hurt to try.

Comment

I meant to stay that I've already taken out the bios battery and main battery and held down power button. No difference.

But Stevie are you talking about actually desoldering the BIOS chip, remove the BIOS battery, then resoldering the BIOS chip and reinstalling the BIOS battery?

Comment

I meant to stay that I've already taken out the bios battery and main battery and held down power button. No difference.

But Stevie are you talking about actually desoldering the BIOS chip, remove the BIOS battery, then resoldering the BIOS chip and reinstalling the BIOS battery?
                            yes get the chip out put it back in after 5min and try without battery being present since you have no flasher.
                            Last edited by Stevie2001; 06-17-2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I agree with piernov as that coil showing 0v seems to be gfxcore. A lot of newer mb has this problem. Gfxcore missing can be coz of ram stick not reading properly/Corrupt bios/cpu regulator ic. I'll suggest to flash bios. Get a cheap bios flasher to do the job. Moreover, check whether its 1.8v bios chip or not. If it is 1.8v then you need to order 1.8v adapter as well.

Comment

mcplslg123 summed it up. I would repeat myself by adding that the internal display has to be detected for VCCGFX to come up. Maybe not on all platforms but I've seen that enough already to always check that.

Comment

Just today i had the same problem and solved with bios.

Comment

Working...
                                  X