Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soyo-k7v dragon plus

Greetings,

After numerous boot failures I finally checked the caps on the mobo and noticed than many had swelling and brown crust from leaking(wendell caps). I replaced all the caps that were 1000uf or larger. Also noticed that two caps in the power supply were leaking and replaced those.

Now the computer boots(usually) but the IDE seems to be funky. With one hard drive and two CD player/writers attached cottectly it will somtimes boot and show one or none of the CD players.

So I think I'm done playing with it. I am wondering if there are any known, still available, mobo's available from the 'dark ages' of bad capacitors that didn't have bad caps?? I have an Athlon XP CPU and PC2100 memory that runs fast enough for what I do and I'd like to just find another mobo to slap the old CPU and memory into.

Also, as I understand the problem with the bad caps started around 2000/2001 ? but how late could these little banes have found their way into computer products??

thanks,

scottw

Still in use today, Soyo has like a 100% cheapest parts available policy.

Comment

How long have you had the motherboard?
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Hey,

>Still in use today, Soyo has like a 100% cheapest parts available policy.

You mean they're still using those faulty caps?? That's frightening!

>How long have you had the motherboard?

Bought the board in December 2001 and it has been in use since. Originally used Win 98se and Internet Exploder and would get frequent crashes, you know, that lovely blue screen thing. Changed to XP Pro and Mozilla Firebird and that ran fine 'till I started geting the boot failures.

As a side note, my brother has an identical mobo and it started having problems about two months after he got it. He still has it in a box and I looked at it the other day and all the caps "look" fine, no swelling or leaking.

thanks,

scottw

Comment

I had the Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard since June, 2001 and the capacitors are still fine.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

SY-K7V Dragon Plus! here. 9 of the 21 Wendell low ESR (black cover with gold writing) 1000uF 6.3V are noticeably bulging. With any luck, I will have replacements tomorrow.

Symptoms:
            Started with system freezing during heavy graphics. Freezing got worse (more often and during low graphics use). Got to a point of being unable to boot. Odd errors (TRAP 00000006 Exception, No valid boot device, spontanious reboot, etc.).

I found out about the cap problems on the net by accident (and am glad I did). I'll let you know how things go.

PhyrPhly

Comment

Ok. I picked up my replacement parts this morning. I will be swapping out the parts after work today and will soon *crosses fingers* have a stable system again.

Replacement Parts:
              Nichicon HE series –
              The parts are not marked as low ESR or gold writing, but they are low impedance, high reliability and should do the trick.
              UHE0J102MPT – 1000uF 6.3V, 10mm diameter x 15mm height (I forgot to check lead spacing, but these parts are a direct replacement [size and value] for all of the low ESR caps on this motherboard)
              UHE1A102MPT – 1000uF 10V, 10mm diameter x 20mm height (I could not get my hands on enough of the 6.3V parts, so I picked up a few of the 10V equivalent parts to place in non-height restricted areas.)

PhyrPhly

Comment

Originally posted by PhyrPhly
                Ok. I picked up my replacement parts this morning. I will be swapping out the parts after work today and will soon *crosses fingers* have a stable system again.

Replacement Parts:
                Nichicon HE series –
                The parts are not marked as low ESR or gold writing, but they are low impedance, high reliability and should do the trick.
                UHE0J102MPT – 1000uF 6.3V, 10mm diameter x 15mm height (I forgot to check lead spacing, but these parts are a direct replacement [size and value] for all of the low ESR caps on this motherboard)
                UHE1A102MPT – 1000uF 10V, 10mm diameter x 20mm height (I could not get my hands on enough of the 6.3V parts, so I picked up a few of the 10V equivalent parts to place in non-height restricted areas.)

PhyrPhly
                Good Luck!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Wow! That took quite a bit longer than I expected. Some decent soldering equipment would have been a 'great' help.

I had a difficult time getting the holes free of solder so I went looking for my flux. I couldn't find it so I borrowed my neighbor's tinning flux for sweating pipes.

All of the low esr caps were swapped out so I put my computer back together and... no POST. :x

Wait! I swapped CPUs... I clear the BIOS and try again... Hooray! POSTing! So I hit DEL to enter BIOS and.... Black screen.... nothing.

Ok. Maybe I killed my video card with my previous troubleshooting. Old video card goes in and... POST! Yeah! Wait! What's that? the video is getting garbled! :evil:

Bloody hell! I pull the PC apart and get the microscope out to check for solder shorts. *wonders if that flux he used is of the 'non-conductive' nature* So I try to clean the flux off with saline and a toothbrush (the wife packed the isopropyl alcohol for our upcoming move) and inspect for shorts. Touch-up a few for the solder joints and try this stupid computer again.

Well... It's been more than an hour and she's running strong without so much as a hiccup. Let the burn in begin!

PhyrPhly

Comment

Still running strong.

PhyrPhly

Comment

congrats!! Told ya it was easy!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Re: soyo-k7v dragon plus

I just new when I checked my Soyo dragon plus it was going to be bad.
                        Sure as shit, almost all caps bulging.
                        Well at least I'll have the caps to put in it now.
                        Took some pics but SD card won't transfer at the moment.
                        Jim

Comment

I let this go so long that all major caps failed.
                          System still ran but not stable.
                          Attached Files
                          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by PhyrPhly
                            Wow! That took quite a bit longer than I expected. Some decent soldering equipment would have been a 'great' help.

I had a difficult time getting the holes free of solder so I went looking for my flux. I couldn't find it so I borrowed my neighbor's tinning flux for sweating pipes.

All of the low esr caps were swapped out so I put my computer back together and... no POST. :x

Wait! I swapped CPUs... I clear the BIOS and try again... Hooray! POSTing! So I hit DEL to enter BIOS and.... Black screen.... nothing.

Ok. Maybe I killed my video card with my previous troubleshooting. Old video card goes in and... POST! Yeah! Wait! What's that? the video is getting garbled! :evil:

Bloody hell! I pull the PC apart and get the microscope out to check for solder shorts. *wonders if that flux he used is of the 'non-conductive' nature* So I try to clean the flux off with saline and a toothbrush (the wife packed the isopropyl alcohol for our upcoming move) and inspect for shorts. Touch-up a few for the solder joints and try this stupid computer again.

Well... It's been more than an hour and she's running strong without so much as a hiccup. Let the burn in begin!

PhyrPhly
                            you need to be sure to remove ALL traces of that flux or it will eat away the traces on the board(pardon the pun)
                            it is corrosive!

Comment

Thank you TC for the caps.
                              I just logged in here with this Soyo machine and it's better than new now.
                              Some of the little bastards dib not want to come out, even with the "wiggle waggle" technique.
                              Hat pin was an excelent hole poker.
                              Pisser when I went to reassemble and the proc wouldn't fit, one cap was too tall, so I layed it down.
                              After recap this machine woke up and detected all sorts of hardware that was previously in it.
                              The TV card, the Dazzle, a slew of USB 2 add on ports, anyway I'm a happy customer.
                              Jim

Comment

Oh yes, I couldn't find any solder flux so I mixed up my own using battery acid and toothpast. LOL
                                Jim

Comment

Wanted to add another dragon plus with bad caps. Was putting in a dvd drive the other day, and took a look around and dammit if i didn't have a whole line of bad caps. Thing is, I've never had any symptoms. No stability problems, no bsods, shutoffs, anything.

Any idea how long I have to replace? How dangerous would it be to wait til after christmas? Also, what would be a good (safe) replacement board, with room for 5 hard drives, and mounting holes for a cpu heatsink?

Comment

After Christmas should be ok just as long as you don't stress the system.
                                    The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Fatal0E
                                      Still in use today, Soyo has like a 100% cheapest parts available policy.
                                      I disagree.

That may have been true back in the '90's but here in the new millenium you are more likely to have problems with an Abit or Asus board than with a Soyo board. Soyo got better. Abit and Asus got worse.

Look at the forums.
                                      Other than problems that can be attributed to overheating or bad PSU's (vice bad caps as the CAUSE of the problem), there are very few reported problems with Soyo boards, only 1 or 2 models, and all those were with Wendel caps.

Now look at Abit and Asus. Many reports. Many different models and very deep into the Pentium 4 erra boards. (I'm on Experts Exchange as well and Asus boards built in the last few years are having LOADS of non-cap related problems as well.)

I'm currently using 4 Soyo P3-Tualatin boards and 6 Soyo P4's.
                                      (The earliest board has caps dated 02/02.)
                                      ZERO cap problems. (In fact, ZERO problems.)
                                      No sign of crap brand caps on any of them.

BTW: ASRock = PcChips MoBo in Asus box. (Effectively)

Who's buying the cheap parts now?

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                        I disagree.

That may have been true back in the '90's but here in the new millenium you are more likely to have problems with an Abit or Asus board than with a Soyo board. Soyo got better. Abit and Asus got worse.
                                        Not entirely representative of the Abit issue there? sure the early Abit's I've owned (KT7 etc.) had those 'EL-cheapo' capacitors, but so did other boards made in that era MSI, Soltek, Epox & PC Chips, while my last board an NF7-s Rev 2.0 was covered with Rubycon capacitors, Abit have learnt somewhat from their costly mistake and are attempting to regain their good name through the use of higher quality components IMHO

Could the amount of errornous boards you're encountering be related to the market share Abit/Asus has compared to Soyo?
                                        Last edited by tazwegion; 07-27-2006, 12:04 AM.
                                        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
                                        X