Re: edit toshiba bios image to accept any response code

Originally posted by kiknusko View Post
    Hello i am trying to edit toshiba bios image to accept any response code
    What's the point of this?

Comment

Originally posted by KvnTM View Post
      What's the point of this?
      If you have response code generator to share then there is no point. If not, it was to remove bios password on toshibas. Sadly it is signed code so not possible to modify like this.

Comment

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
        If you have response code generator to share then there is no point. If not, it was to remove bios password on toshibas. Sadly it is signed code so not possible to modify like this.
        Yes correct bios cannot modified if modified laptop no give display.

Comment

Thats why I asked. There is no point editing bios files like this. Never had luck modifying bios rom's with a hex editor or disassembler. I believe every bios has at least a checksum check.
          I'd rather flash a clean bios with code signing intact. I don't think that it is locked to a cpu serial number or something else. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

It would be interesting to know which device checks the signing. If it is a routine in the bios file itself you could easily manipulate it. if the EC or PCH has a check for it then there is no way around it.

Comment

Password stored in ec/kbc so flashing clean bios has no point.

I modify bios files all the time to remove passwords. Even made a modifying tool for HP which only has positive feedback thus far

Comment

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
              Password stored in ec/kbc so flashing clean bios has no point.

I modify bios files all the time to remove passwords. Even made a modifying tool for HP which only has positive feedback thus far
              Is this also true for EC's which are non programmable and the firmware is shared with the bios on a single flash chip? Or do they have an EEPROM or something else in it to store the password? Never looked into EC's that far.

Comment

Not sure if I understand your question.

EC/KBC can be programmable and not programmable. When it is not programmable, it might have an eeprom next to it. When it is programmable, it has internal eeprom.

When password is stored in EC/KBC (doesnt matter what kind), it is not possible to clear it by flashing a clean bios on main eeprom. Yes, it is possible to clear password from EC/KBC by flashing that with a clean file but this is often difficult because it might not be a soic8 eeprom.

Comment

@kiknusko
                  Start with something easy by modifying strings, but as RethoricalCheese or imranromi mentioned, it won't work as it seems that upon powering up, bios checks for firmware integrity.
                  I tried with a Tecra A9 with legacy bios, after modification it didn't give display output. With UEFI bioses seems easier to modify modules, but I haven't tried.

Comment

Password check: BIOS
                    out_buf = call_EC(
                    func=0x24,
                    in_buf=MD5(input)[:8] + pwd_type
                    )
                    out_buf[0] == 0 ⇒ success

Comment

Originally posted by said7002 View Post
                      Password check: BIOS
                      out_buf = call_EC(
                      func=0x24,
                      in_buf=MD5(input)[:8] + pwd_type
                      )
                      out_buf[0] == 0 ⇒ success

according to the author, just rewrite this code to python and you can generate the code yourself

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...b4ab0f2e13.pdf

Challenge: BIOSout_buf =call_EC(func=0x1A, in_buf=rdtsc()+MD5(pc_serial)[:8])challenge = bytes_to_string(out_buf)

Response: BIOSout_buf =call_EC(func=0x1B, in_buf=string_to_bytes(user_input))out_buf[0]⇒ success/fail

Comment

Originally posted by przemek_79 View Post
                        according to the author, just rewrite this code to python and you can generate the code yourself

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...b4ab0f2e13.pdf

Challenge: BIOSout_buf =call_EC(func=0x1A, in_buf=rdtsc()+MD5(pc_serial)[:8])challenge = bytes_to_string(out_buf)

Response: BIOSout_buf =call_EC(func=0x1B, in_buf=string_to_bytes(user_input))out_buf[0]⇒ success/fail
                        I tried but It does not work for me.

Comment

i need the toshiba response code generator but i don know how to use phyton

Comment

Someone have free solution for toshiba laptop ?

Comment

Originally posted by keczuk View Post
                              Someone have free solution for toshiba laptop ?
                              Nop

Comment

Originally posted by KvnTM View Post
                                Is this also true for EC's which are non programmable and the firmware is shared with the bios on a single flash chip? Or do they have an EEPROM or something else in it to store the password? Never looked into EC's that far.
                                YOU tell right , i think will have one method to unlock via patch bios file

Comment

Originally posted by vinsun0399 View Post
                                  YOU tell right , i think will have one method to unlock via patch bios file
                                  No work patch bios.The main reason toshiba bios cannot modified in protection if you modified laptop not give display.Or challange code is random.

Comment

the program written in which Program language???

Comment

Originally posted by shh-phd View Post
                                      the program written in which Program language???

There is no program

Comment

Originally posted by kiknusko View Post
                                        Hello i am trying to edit toshiba bios image to accept any response code
                                        everybody can help response code ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X