Emulating a main board CPU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Emulating a main board CPU.

Be aware that these decompressors can be fooled if the file "looks" like something else.
    Sometimes the firmware is encrypted or compressed in a proprietary manner.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. It says its a PARity archive file, but I searched for the below signatures in a hex editor but they aren't there.

A Par1 file starts with the following byte sequence:

50 41 52 00 00 00 00 00

This corresponds to the ASCII text string PAR, followed by 5 null bytes.

A Par2 file starts with the bytes:

50 41 52 32 00 50 4B 54

This corresponds to ASCII text string PAR2, followed by a null byte and the text string PKT.

Finally, a Par3 file can be identified by the following 4-byte sequence:

50 41 33 00
      ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

binwalk -I shows me that there's a whole lot that it isn't able to identify. This is't going to be as easy as I first thought.

Comment

I'm not getting anywhere with this. Some of it probably comes down to not knowing all the available firmware analysis tools, and/or how to use them. Not going to give up though. Since we know the UART pinout from the image I posted previously, I'm going to try connecting to it to see what useful information I can get.

As a side note, based on this post, and the results from a binwalk entropy scan, the Chi square distribution, and Monte Carlo pi approximation both of which were obtained by using ENT, I'm pretty sure the firmware image is compressed and not encrypted.
          Last edited by lookimback; 09-23-2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I tried accessing the SoC over UART. Interestingly, the baudrate is 115200 when on, and 38400 when powered off. Doesn't respond to anything.

When the board powers on, I get this.
            Eden: BD_CVT_P85A
            SPI BOOT
            Console Initial OK

[23456789A][123456789A]

BIST_0 PASS.

MIU Initial OK
            SBOOT:AC ON
            then some gibberish.

With power off, I get this.

Hello Eden standby mode

Console Initial OK (PM)

g_u8PowerKeyADCLevel:0x32
            Enter EDEN PM Standby

[EDEN PM]

[EDEN PM]

Comment

It's either locked or there's some alternate way to enter, like a key sequence.
              Disassembling the firmware may be the only way to tell for sure.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I did extract and decompress the LZMA part. Pretty sure the file system is in there. How does the SoC know how to extract it? Could there be an OS programmed into it that's separate from the firmware image on the eeprom?

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                  I finally got Ubuntu installed. I wanted to install it alongside of Windows on my desktop, but the HD is 9 years old. I ran CrystalDiskInfo and it said its healthy, but with over 17000 hours, I think it could fail at any time.
                  At work we retired a 1TB Western Digital HDD in the data recovery machine that had over 41.000 hours. Still zero bad sectors but it was used to store backups so we decided to take it offline.

I think I saved a screenshot of the SMART parameters of that drive, will put it up sometime. Sorry for thread hijack btw.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    At work we retired a 1TB Western Digital HDD in the data recovery machine that had over 41.000 hours. Still zero bad sectors but it was used to store backups so we decided to take it offline.

I think I saved a screenshot of the SMART parameters of that drive, will put it up sometime. Sorry for thread hijack btw.
                    My tower, which I use as a network server, has 34000 hours. It's working fine, but I'm going to replace it soon with an enterprise HD. The data on it is crucial to my business and if it went down, I'd be screwed.

BTW, I already hijacked my own thread. This went from emulating a CPU to hacking firmware.
                    Last edited by lookimback; 09-24-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Found something interesting with the strings command. This line 'cpu/risc32/eden/interrupt.c' I guess would indicate that it's a risc32 architecture.

Comment

Could this mean something? FW address must be 128 byte alignment
                        and this JPD Firmware load code address must be 2048 byte alignment!
                        Last edited by lookimback; 09-24-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Not really it's just page alignment for the flash chip.

Comment

RISC32 would make it ARM right?

Comment

RISC32 would make it ARM right?
                              No, otherwise it would be called ARM.

RISC32 is probably related to Risc-V which is a rather unusual architecture. I would expect MIPS or ARM to be honest so not sure what to make of this.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                No, otherwise it would be called ARM.
                                I guess that makes sense. Lol

Comment

I decided to ask for help at StackExchange. They're going to take a look at it. I'm sure it just comes down to experience and knowledge of the available tools. I'm anxious to find if there's a way to do a factory reset via UART and if that would fix the problem.

Comment

At this point, I'm thinking the binary must be obfuscated. Somehow, I need to find the bootloader and figure out how it handles the de-obfuscation.

Comment

At this point, I'm thinking the binary must be obfuscated. Somehow, I need to find the bootloader and figure out how it handles the de-obfuscation.
                                      It is possible but unlikely. If you find cleartext in it, it is probably not obfuscated or encrypted.

But it takes years of experience to even know where to start with this.

Comment

I think I just figured something out. Run strings on this image. I started doing math, trying to figure out areas in the binary I could exclude, thinking I could narrow it down some. It didn't add up right. All that copyright stuff comes after the jpg, but adding the size of the jpg and the offset equals the size of the binary. I don't know if they've embed code into the jpg, or if the extraction just doesn't stop at the end of the image. I tried binwalk --exclude 'jpeg' file.bin, but that just skips over it. I'm going to try changing the signature so it won't recognize it and see if it then finds something else.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Well, I wasn't exactly right. It's not embedded. I just didn't specify a limit when I extracted it. The image file is actually only 41kb. That means I have another 1.9mb to look through.

Comment

Working...
                                          X