Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PN50B450 - Turns on, Sound good, I think Backlight is good, No Picture

Model: Samsung PN50B450

TV literally just popped and picture stopped working. Sound was good.

On TV Turn on and Turn off, there is colored static that flickers on for a split second.

As odd as it sounds, I am unsure about the Backlighting. I don't see a significant Backlight after the initial Flicker. ADDITIONALLY, I do not see a picture when I shine a light on the screen.

No obvious Caps are blown. No fuses seem to be blown.

I tried the VS_On --> +5VDC, PS_On --> Ground, LVDS disconnected, Main Board Disconnected and I did not get any test patterns on the screen.

Harumph
    Thoughts, ideas?

Re: PN50B450 - Turns on, Sound good, I think Backlight is good, No Picture

To start with the tv is a plasma so no backlight, Check and see if you have Vs voltage on the Y-sus board, I suspect either y-sus or Z-sus board problems, likely shorted fet's
    Post some pictures of the rear of the tv so we can see what boards are in this set.
    Last edited by R_J; 09-09-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

204VDC to X-Main and Y-Main boards.

Pictures in a quick second......

Comment

Picture as requested
        Attached Files

Comment

I would inspect the buffer ic's on the y-main, look for a crack or hole in the top of the ic, then check the transistors on that board that are mounted to the heatsinks, shopjimmy lists a repair kit for the board if it is LJ92-01601A ,
          Something went pop and is likely either an ic or transistor

Comment

All the transistors and caps looked good, but I don't think I looked too closely at the buffer boards. That would be great if the buffer boards were the issue. i should be able to have an answer tonight

Comment

If I had a dollar for every part that looked good but tested bad... The buffer ic's are part of the y board are they not?

Comment

Oops, yeah, you're right. Buffer ICs are part of the Y-Main board.

Quick findings...-ish on the X-Main...
                - Faint smell of Magic Smoke near RJH3044's
                - Some RJH3044's had their soldered leads covered by a cushion/pad. After I removed the pad, it looked like Samsung used dis-similar solders. It looks like a cold solder joint with dendrites coming off of it.

Y-Main
                - Solder masks looks good on the ICs.
                Last edited by brnrubbr; 09-09-2018, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Moar updates.....

X-Main
                  - "Cold" solder joint picture included
                  - No obvious burn marks, cracks, or heat-spots on PCB

Y-Main
                  - It looks and smells clean.
                  - No obvious burn marks, cracks, or heat-spots on PCB
                  Attached Files

Comment

It could be that the X-main is bad, In some cases you will get a slight picture but very dark and snowy. this would also explain the slight flickerof the screen. Check the fets with a meter.
                    Shopjimmy has a repair kit for the BN96-09736A, so check these parts
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by R_J; 09-09-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Kit is on order. Thank you so much!! I'll try and update when everything is repaired and resoldered. Thanks again!

Comment

Well...... shucks. All 4 FETs replaced and TV still isn't working. The suspected FET did smell a little smokey, but the TV still isn't working.

I'll take a closer look at the Y-Main and see if any of the buffers may have popped.

Comment

No obvious popping nor venting of any component. If anyone knows where I can get a troubleshooting manual for the TV, it would be a huge help.

I'll verify everything on the manual below.....

Comment

X-Main
                            VCC = 15.1VDC
                            Vss = 209

Y-Main
                            Va = 54.7VDC
                            Vc = 15.1VDC
                            VS = 209VDC

Logic Board
                            D5.3 = 5.2VDC

Again, to recap.... the screen flickers snow on startup and shutdown. Sound is good, display is not during normal operations. Any additional thoughts regarding troubleshooting would be a huge help.

Comment

Per.....
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNZVkuh2Ajk

I've verified none of the Y-Main Buffer ICs are dead-shorted

Hooking everything back up on the Y-Main, applied power, and used a IR Thermometer......
                              - Found bottom-most Buffer U5407 @ 115 degrees F. Hot, but not hateful

- All other Buffers were room temp (i.e. not being powered)

- ***Found the middle set of FETs (903188, STTH40P03S, STTH40P03S, IRFP4332) VERY hot. I read 190 degrees F on the IRFP4332. *** Mind you, these FETs have a huge heatsink attached.

EDIT: Y-Main Repair Kit on Order --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/263925422513
                              Last edited by brnrubbr; 09-14-2018, 11:53 PM. Reason: Repair Kit

Comment

Does the LED blink on your control board at a rate of about once a second?

You say you have backlight, while plasma TVs do not have a backlight they do have a minimum discharge level, so can you see a small amount of light from the screen in a dark room?
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Does the LED blink on your control board at a rate of about once a second?
                                  Yes

You say you have backlight, while plasma TVs do not have a backlight they do have a minimum discharge level, so can you see a small amount of light from the screen in a dark room?
                                  I'll edit the Backlight comment. Yes, I see a small amount of light on the screen in a dark room

Edit: Can't edit previous posts :-(
                                  Last edited by brnrubbr; 09-16-2018, 09:33 AM.

Comment

ok, show me a pic of your control board, I think I know what is going on here.
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Here go!
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by brnrubbr; 09-17-2018, 06:18 AM.

Comment

OK, 1st pic, bottom left 4 pin terminal block just near the connector with the grey wires.
                                        Jumper pins 3 and 4 using a hard disk option jumper, alligator clip or bent paperclip or whatever works.
                                        Disconnect the cable in the middle with the blue tab
                                        Power on the TV. Do you see test patterns?
                                        If so, replace the main board, the one with HDMI ports, in 2nd picture.

Comment

Working...
                                        X