Roland 60w cube speaker questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roland 60w cube speaker questions?

Hello, I have an old 60w cube amp,and the speaker began to sag and voice coil started to scrape.I have a same sized speaker which I fitted to prove that it was the speaker,and it sounds fine now.The point is,yhat the new speaker is 16.ohms and the original is 8.ohms. Can I run it like this,or put a 16.ohm resister in parallel with the speaker wiring to bring it down to 8.ohm? would this work? and how would I do it? Thankyou for any advice.

Regards:Andy.

Re: Roland 60w cube speaker questions?

You'll just have half the power output. It's when you go the other way that you have problems. What you don't want to do is use a four-ohm speaker on an amp designed for 8.

-Paul
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

You should be ok. I used to have a Cube 60, nice little amp.
      Switched to a Marshall 8240, then pretty much quit playing.
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by andy smethurst View Post
        Can I run it like this,or put a 16.ohm resister in parallel with the speaker wiring to bring it down to 8.ohm? would this work? and how would I do it?
        Please don't put a 16 Ohms resistor in parallel, it will just increase the distortion. As Kaboom have already told you, you can use the 16 Ohms speaker without any worries.

Only in tube amplifiers that principle don't apply...

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks,Ill just leave the 16 ohm speaker in there as I have more volume than I need.

Regards:Andy.

Comment

Yep what they said. If you put a 4ohm in there, you make the amp work harder and it get's very very hot.

Comment

Working...
            X