Abit BP6 - recapped but has burnt coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abit BP6 - recapped but has burnt coils

Hello all. I just stumbled onto this forum and was glad to see someone doing something about the cap problem.

I have a BP6 that I recapped a couple years ago. It continued to have stability problems so it went on the shelf until yesterday when I needed it. It turns out that the 2 coils by the AGP slot are also burnt. Does anyone have any good coils by any chance?

The following photo isn't mine but it does show the bad L17 & L18 coils in the foreground.
    http://www.burtonsys.com/BP6_bad_coils1.jpg

Kirk
    PS. Is it possible to rewind the coils if I get the right size magnet wire or is there some voodoo to it?

It is possible to rewind the coils, get the same diameter wire and wire it in exactly the same pattern, that's what the "motor rebuild" shops do...

Also looks like those 'new" caps are ready to be replced too..
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Re: Abit BP6 - recapped but has burnt coils

Originally posted by kirk_22
      Hello all. I just stumbled onto this forum and was glad to see someone doing something about the cap problem.

I have a BP6 that I recapped a couple years ago. It continued to have stability problems so it went on the shelf until yesterday when I needed it. It turns out that the 2 coils by the AGP slot are also burnt. Does anyone have any good coils by any chance?

The following photo isn't mine but it does show the bad L17 & L18 coils in the foreground.
      http://www.burtonsys.com/BP6_bad_coils1.jpg

Kirk
      PS. Is it possible to rewind the coils if I get the right size magnet wire or is there some voodoo to it?
      dude... my coil look exactly like that.
      that's how i noticed the caps around it ( by the agp ) where bulked.
      after a while i noticed the BP6 had tability issues so i cleaned it up with some "Air on a can" spray can on a balcony.
      it runs nice for seweral weeks but when i reboot it i need to clear cmos coz i just get an blank screen when powering up and a hdd led just glowing ( no there is no prob with the hdd i tryed the hdd and ide cable in a diffrent comp rebooting seweral times and even defraging the disk ).
      iwe checked basicly all the major component stores here in sweden to get caps replacements but ther most commonly to big to fit or to weak.

the mobo runs nicely ( atm ) and do it's job well until i need to reboot it for some reson like update or just reboot it to get some preformance back ( it runs win2k ).

if anyone know anything about that coil like the part specs it wuld be nice coz i need the exact one showed on the picture. ( and the caps lol ).

the comp is used for a non profit game server like a hobby thing and the game server app runs werry nicely on the BP6 mobo ( even nicer then a amd athlon 1,4ghz ) so it wuld be ashame to abuse the mobo by running it on bad components :P

thank's for your time!
      Last edited by TbbW; 07-25-2006, 05:52 AM.

Comment

It's likely that the toroids are cooked for good - most probably, the saturation flux-density would have been exceeded and a certain amount of permanent magnetization would have set in. You can try rewinding them, but their magnetic properties will be different - the inductance L will be lower, and the ESR will be higher due to higher core losses. They'll forever run hotter than the original new ones.

Comment

May be they will have absolut no inductance any more. I have heard something about burned feritte or owdered iron cores, that they loose their magneticall properties acting like air coils.
          To geet the numbers, lock at this little tiny chip, it is the SMPS controler for this section. Then google for the device + datasheet and hopefully you will find an applikation note. There should be an complete description of an circuit with those controler, and parts incl. vallues will be stated. If you are knowing, for what purpose this buck regulator is for, you can easily compare it with those ap notes.
          If it is near the AGP port, it is probably an 5v to 3,3v step down regulator or and 3,3 to 1,5v one, depending what kind of AGP port there is.

Comment

I saw the word Ferrite, so I'm jumping in here with a question.
            Assuming that heat or an atomic blast or whatever has taken the ferrousness out of a torroid core, can the magnetic properties be restored?
            Gausing or degausing of a ferrite? Which would it be?
            Is this post rediculose?
            Jim

Comment

yeh but i scrathed the ring of it with an screwdriver real carefully and it might be burned dust or something but it's white almost like it's not made out of metal and more cheramics ( or pottery... sry my english vocabelary is not 100% ).
              or it culda been just the top layer of burned dust or simular.
              not 100% sure coz i dont want to go all crocodile dundie with a rambo kife and see how deep i can carv

Comment

damn 10min limit ( lol )

http://img229.*************/my.php?i...p6large2rk.png
                the coil is marked with a red box. ( pic taken from abit's homepage )
                and the caps to the right of that box is swallen up.

Comment

Hmmm, hmmm. If you can't find yourself suitable wire and so on - you may try contact user craig588 on xtremesystems forums. He run a hardware scrap yard in USA/CT and he was very helpfull to be - send me these DFI coils, so... Try ask him. He probably can find something you can use:
                  http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/member.php?u=7367
                  "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                  "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Originally posted by trodas
                    Hmmm, hmmm. If you can't find yourself suitable wire and so on - you may try contact user craig588 on xtremesystems forums. He run a hardware scrap yard in USA/CT and he was very helpfull to be - send me these DFI coils, so... Try ask him. He probably can find something you can use:
                    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/member.php?u=7367
                    kickass man
                    i realy apresiate it!
                    now all that is left is the caps :P

Comment

What if you got a dead Abit BP6 board off of Ebay or something and just took those coils (granted that they werent burnt like yours).

Comment

Would it be safe to say that bigger toroid coils are good in the same way that higher capacitance is?
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by moddolicous
                          What if you got a dead Abit BP6 board off of Ebay or something and just took those coils (granted that they werent burnt like yours).
                          yeh well ebay wants a real visa card or i cant bid even doh i got a paypal account.
                          ( i got visa electron and ebay dont like that one... )
                          so i'm gonna try trodas idea first and then see if i can get a friend to bit on a busted bp6 for me
                          Last edited by TbbW; 07-25-2006, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
                            Would it be safe to say that bigger toroid coils are good in the same way that higher capacitance is?
                            Absolutely not, at least the inductivity has to be the same, and the permeability dito. Even the core material musst be the same (or at least same saturizing behavior), or the VRM unit won`t work. The only thing you can alter, is the thickness of the torrid and the copper wire, but you have to calculate the same inductivity, wich will need different numbers of windings, if anything has changed.

Comment

I was thinking more in terms of power handling than changed inductance.
                              For example I have high current power supplies with gigantic toroid coils.
                              Jim

Comment

As stated above you can do that, but you have to calculate the new coil on your own.

As i have looked at the picture of this board, i am not shure if this is not only a 2 phase desing? if yes, this inductors are only the inrushcurrent limmitors for the I/P caps of the vrm.
                                If this is true, the exact value should not that important, anything close to it will IMHO be ok. It is only there, to avoid an overloading of the psu during startup, as the ATX spec limmits the absolut ammount of capzitance, an ATX PSU must handle without going to overload.

Comment

some info from MBM on my comp with bad caps ( it crashed yesterday and i had to clear the cmos to start it up ).

500MHz CPU, Case 62°C
                                  CPU0 36°C, Fan 1 4753RPM, Core 0 2.00v
                                  CPU1 36°C, Fan 2 4891RPM, Core 1 1.50v

+3.3 = 3.36v
                                  +5.00 = 4.78v
                                  +12.00 = 12.40v
                                  -12.00 = -12.52v
                                  -5.00 = -5.34v

i'm still w8ing for a respons from admin (a) badcaps.net
                                  first respons to if he has the caps whas sent fast.
                                  but the "hey i'm a polarbear from sweden, culd u send em ower here?" is a mail i still await respons on

Comment

Originally posted by TbbW
                                    some info from MBM on my comp with bad caps ( it crashed yesterday and i had to clear the cmos to start it up ).

500MHz CPU, Case 62°C
                                    CPU0 36°C, Fan 1 4753RPM, Core 0 2.00v
                                    CPU1 36°C, Fan 2 4891RPM, Core 1 1.50v

+3.3 = 3.36v
                                    +5.00 = 4.78v
                                    +12.00 = 12.40v
                                    -12.00 = -12.52v
                                    -5.00 = -5.34v
                                    I think whatever CPU and motherboard you're using, the "MBM" program isn't interpreting your sensors correctly. I doubt Vcore 0 and 1 be really so different. MBM itself is getting really old, and hasn't been maintained in years, if I understand correctly. You could try SpeedFan...

But even if the Speedfan were to correctly ID your sensors, there's no guarantee that the latter actually be meaningfully accurate, so you'd have to verify those voltage readings with a multimeter.

Comment

mjeah well due to the server comp have bad cap's and a burning coil i'd like to be able to monitor it from an IRC channel.
                                      the thing is the server basicly only have a power cord and network cable plugged into it.
                                      while hosted at a friends house.
                                      so it's basicly an "almost acurate" temp i'm after.
                                      and the server runs on win2k with mbm5 i think they fixed so it runs okey coz on the bp6 homepage they recoment that app to check temperature and rpm with :P

i just hope i can get the high qualety kit of caps from this site :/

Comment

For measuring I preferably use SpeedFan - same "accurance" as MBM, however a much simplier to use proggy.

TbbW - you can buy caps from TopCat (Rubycons), Big Pope (Samxons), Digi-key.com (Panasonic) - feel free to use what fit you well. I have good experience with Samxons and Pannyes, never got access to Rubycons except from dead boards and they aren't best then...

Or you could want the best for the Vcore caps - Nichicons HZ
                                        "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                                        "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Working...
                                        X