Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS P4S800D-X - Won't POST, gives beep codes - Help needed

Hi.
    I recently got my hands on a box full of old computer parts, consisting mainly in video cards, motherboards and some CPUs.
    Inside the box was another box with this P4S800D-X mobo, completely full with their manual, CDs, backplate, etc. The board looks like used, but, apart from the dust, it seems like it is perfectly fine. No broken traces, no bulging capacitors, no burned components, no PCB burned signs... It's a P4 mobo using DDR ram slots, and using a SiS 655FX chipset. It also support dual-channel, SATA drives and is Prescott ready.

But there is a problem with it, and I can't seem to make it work.
    First, the board doesn't want to power up from the power up pins. It just won't power up from there. To power it up, I have to short the PS_ON pin on the PSU to ground, then it powers up. I don't need to keep those pins shorted for the mobo to work, I just need to short them once and quickly, and it just powers up. Once it power up, the power up pins seem to work for powering it down, meaning, if I short them for more than 4 seconds, the board shuts down.
    After that, no matter if I put memory in it or not, the board always gives me the same beep code error: 1 long, 2 short beeps, once they end, they start repeating over and over. It doesn't give the beeps instantly, it starts beeping after aproximately 30 seconds of beign powered up. It does that with all the available DDR memory modules I have, ranging from 128MB to 512MB.
    According to ASUS customer support, it's a MEMORY (not video card) error. Even with a video card plugged in in either the AGP or PCI slots, it just keeps giving me the same beep code. The northbridge and the southbridge gets a little warm (the SB a little more than the NB, probably because the NB has a heatsink), the CPU heatink/cooler gets a little warm too.
    The past of the board is unknown, the only thing I know is it was removed because sometimes it booted (POST), sometimes not... until it won't booted anymore.

I'm using a P4 1.8A Northwood for testing it. The CPU seems to be receiving the correct voltage: 1.55v, checked with a multimeter. VRM out caps are OST RLZ series, 1500uf x 6.3v, 7 of them. VRM in are Chemicon KZE, 1200uf x 16v, 4 of them. The rest of the "big" capacitors used in the mobo are OST RLS series, 1000uf x 6.3v, there are 15 of them scattered through the board.

Having in mind that according to ASUS it's a memory error, I checked the VDD pins on the memory slots with my multimeter. It read 2.10V in everyone of the slots... could the problem really be memory related and could it be the slots are not receiving enough voltage to power up the memory ?

Any more ideas as to what to check or suggestions as how to fix the memory voltage issue ? I just want to try fix it for the fun of it (if it's possible), and maybe in the end I can end up with a working mobo that I can use for some project.
    I attached some pics of the board. I'll try to take better ones if needed.

Thanks for any reply.
    Have a nice day.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by unmei220; 08-28-2011, 11:46 AM. Reason: more info added.

Re: ASUS P4S800D-X - Won't POST, gives beep codes - Help needed

What's the FSB on that CPU? I would try one with an 800 FSB. also make sure you're using DDR400 RAM.

Comment

That CPU has a 400 Mhz FSB, but I also tried with a Prescott 3.0 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, still the same. The board supports the 400 Mhz FSB CPUs. All the 512 MB modules I tried are 400 Mhz, the rest (some 128 MB ones and more of 256 MB) are 333 Mhz. Thanks for the reply.
      Last edited by unmei220; 08-28-2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I think I have identified what the problem really is, and it seems to be pretty obvious, but I couldn't spot it earlier. There's a missing component at Q7. Seems like it has desoldered itself seeing as how the ram slot is burned at the edge.
        Do you guys think I could have fried something by powering up the mobo without that component ?
        Also, the problem now is that I don't even know what component and value was there originally. At the other side of the memory slots there are 3 APM2014N mosfets. Could this missing one be one of those ?
        I couldn't find a decent picture of that spot on the net, so it would be very helpful if someone happens to have this same mobo and could tell me what was on Q7 originally. Thanks.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by unmei220; 08-28-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Q7 is a transister 2SC5706

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean I can't use an APM2014N there ?
            I'm asking because I have some unused ones of those.
            Did you have the same board to check that component ?
            Thanks
            Last edited by unmei220; 08-28-2011, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Hmmm...sorry my previous reply was useless. Lol.

Make sure you replace those two caps while you're at it, because chances are it got very hot right there so they were stressed extra!

Comment

Originally posted by unmei220 View Post
                Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean I can't use an APM2014N there ?
                I'm asking because I have some unused ones of those.
                Did you have the same board to check that component ?
                Thanks
                I have one of the same exact board new in a box and I referenced it.
                You asked what was at Q7 and I answered and even provided a datasheet.

If you want to use something else at Q7 that is up to you. I suggest you only replace it if you know the replacement part will work. Not knowing the requirements of and the design of the board (why that part was used) I would not use the APM2014N. It may or may not work but from it's datasheet it is clearlly not a direct replacement for Q7 based on the part that was orginaly there.

Comment

Why are you angry ? I told you I was beign ignorant, that's why I asked... and also I only asked to know if you had the same mobo...
                  I'm from Argentina and english is not my language. If I offended you with some of my words then I'm sorry, wasn't my intention.
                  Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to order the component, so it'll take some days to finally test it again.
                  Hope it works after I put the missing component back. But, there has to be a motive as to why it heated so much in the first place...

Also, can I request more info as to why some mobos refuse to boot from the power up pins, but otherwise they work ok ? Because it's not the first one I see with this symptom.
                  Last edited by unmei220; 08-28-2011, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I am not angry, why would you say I am angry? I tried make my responce as clear and direct as I could so there would be no confusion. I noted that you are from Argentina and I wanted to make sure my english was clear so my advice could not be taken wrong and cause you a problem. Sorry if I sound angry I am not. Your English if fine by the way.

Comment

It looks like maybe Q7 got fried somehow and someone desoldered it as the PCB dosen't look to be too discolored but that would explain the melted plastic on the ram slot if their soldering iron got a little too close or slipped.

Comment

The OST should be replaced.
                        They are known to fail without bloating.
                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

@370forlife: Yes, that would explain why the PCB looks undamaged nor burned. Notice also the bottom part on the left capacitor, the plastic cover burned there too. I don't know the history of the board, but if it only doesn't work because of that, it seems weird why no one replaced it. I'm just hoping that to be the case.

@PCBONEZ: Yes, those OSTs bugged me, so they'll be replaced, but first I want to resolder the missing component, and then see how things are.
                          Those 2.1v at the ram slots still bugs me... maybe it's related to the missing transistor, maybe not... I'll know when I get and solder the part. Otherwise I'll have to learn from where that 2.1v is coming out.

Comment

and the KGZ's on the input vrm
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Hard to tell, but I think they might be KZE, which are fine.

EDIT: It looks like every single other cap on the board is OST
                              Last edited by c_hegge; 08-29-2011, 01:28 AM.
                              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yep. As I said in the first post, the VRM input caps are KZE.
                                Then the VRM out caps are OST RLZ, then there are 15 more OST RLS scattered through the board, and some more 100uf, 16v ones of a brand I can't clearly read what it says... but they're TK series, that's clearly readable. Could it be Ltec or something like that ?

No one knows why some mobos refuse to boot from the power up pins but otherwise they work just fine ?

@Brethin: could you tell me what it says on the 3 transistors at the other side of the memory slots on your board (Q31, Q32, Q36) ? The 3 should have the same markings. If you could also tell me what it says on the 3 ones around the AGP slot (Q6, Q33, Q35), I would be very pleased. Thanks and sorry about all that angry stuff.
                                Last edited by unmei220; 08-29-2011, 08:24 AM. Reason: added question for Brethin.

Comment

Originally posted by unmei220 View Post
                                  No one knows why some mobos refuse to boot from the power up pins but otherwise they work just fine ?
                                  Usually bad caps.
                                  OTOH Asus are kind'a iffy in general.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

Hmmm.... after further inspecting of the motherboard, I discovered that there's another transistor missing from the board...
                                    I'm having my doubts now as if this board is fixable or not, or if it's worth trying to repair... There has to be a meaning as to why this components are missing and why no one tried to replace them...

The one missing now is Q57, it's located between the fourth and fifth PCI slot.
                                    So, again, I'm requesting your help here Brethin. Can you tell me what was on Q57 originally ?

Also, repeating what I said in my last post, if you could tell me also what is at Q31, Q32, Q36 (RAM side) and Q6, Q33, Q35 (AGP side) on your board, would help me a lot and I'll be very thankful.
                                    Also, does your board has empty spots at Q4 and Q14 (they're next to the PWR/CPU fan pins).

Thank you.

EDIT: Just so you guys know, I'm spotting the missing components by comparing my board against the few "high-res" pictures of this mobo I can find on the web. For example, the second photo attached is not from my board, I found it on the net. In that photo one can clearly see there's a transistor at Q57, but... this board in the photo also has a lot of transistors missing from the VRM area, which my board has.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by unmei220; 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I think maybe it died [possibly due to caps] and then someone was stealing parts for other projects.

Even if you do get it running that board didn't exactly have great reviews.
                                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131527

I would not use that one if you are wanting a good stable board.
                                      If what you want is a learning project it's as good as anything else.

I found a few pics.
                                      Don't know if they will help.
                                      Attached Files

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Q57 = C5706 same as what is at Q7
                                        Q31 = 9T18GH
                                        Q32 = 9T18GH
                                        Q36 = 9T18GH
                                        Q6 = APM2054N
                                        Q33 = APM2054N
                                        Q35 = APM2054N
                                        Q4 = Empty (nothing installed)
                                        Q14 = Empty (nothing installed)

Hope this helps.

BTW this is a revision 1.0 board in case your is different.

Comment

Working...
                                        X